Sons' sorrow

Strange one Wardrop going to Airdrie (if true)

2 days ago he was asked if he ever fancied going full time again and he said not just now, and if he did it would need to be the right offer.  

Canny imagine Airdrie to be throwing him money he can't refuse.  Bit of a risk for him I think but good luck to him.

14 minutes ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

It all depends on Faz’s budget and if the new owners walk the walk. Alloa banked half a million in the SG COVID payout, both QP and Cove are being bankrolled and so are Montrose but to a lesser extent. The new owners have pawned the stadium and land to Pendragon probably to cover the “investment” they made in buying the club and the debt. 

That is genuinely an astonishing amount of cash that was pushed Alloa's way.

Edited by George Parr

It all depends on Faz’s budget and if the new owners walk the walk. Alloa banked half a million in the SG COVID payout, both QP and Cove are being bankrolled and so are Montrose but to a lesser extent. The new owners have pawned the stadium and land to Pendragon probably to cover the “investment” they made in buying the club and the debt. 

Are we?! [emoji23]

9 minutes ago, Thommo90 said:

Strange one Wardrop going to Airdrie (if true)

2 days ago he was asked if he ever fancied going full time again and he said not just now, and if he did it would need to be the right offer.  

Canny imagine Airdrie to be throwing him money he can't refuse.  Bit of a risk for him I think but good luck to him.

Airdrie have a hybrid system where we have a mix of full-time and part-time. Just a guess but of the three players we’re supposedly signing I reckon Wardrop will be part-time and the others probably full-time.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Off to Airdrie if rumours are to be believed. I'm definitely a bit disappointed we didn't hold onto him but it's a new era and we need to trust that Faz will get sufficient replacements. 

I like Wardrop but that horrific injury may well have affected him a la Calum Campbell.Also may have affected him empotionally.I think he might think twice about going into a dangerous challenge.Not calling him a coward in any way but clearly he has a career outside of football and you have to ask if its worth it for him.

ETA Brian Graham should still be hung out to dry for that challenge.

Edited by lorenzo71

34 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Airdrie have a hybrid system where we have a mix of full-time and part-time. Just a guess but of the three players we’re supposedly signing I reckon Wardrop will be part-time and the others probably full-time.

Didn't know they were hybrid, makes sense then!

39 minutes ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

I wasn't aware of Montrose being bankrolled, can't be by very much given the squad they've assembled over the last 4-5 years. Alloa might have received £500K but they'll have spent a bit of that trying to keep themselves up and in any case, they've put Barry Ferguson in charge of their next budget so there's every chance that ends in tears. Cove will be a decent side again but we beat them last year with apparently the second worst budget in the league, and their first signing is looking like being Morgyn Neill so perhaps they're not throwing around as much as we thought. QP and Falkirk will be out in front with their budgets but the former currently has an abandoned building site for a ground to play in and the latter had just as a big a budget last year and finished 5th. We have absolutely nothing to fear next season and I'm delighted that Faz and Geggan are speaking so positively about us challenging for top 4. 

The handout we received from the government has lifted us out of the overdraft and into a "healthy" position for the first time in years. We not only appointed what appears to be a good manager, but we paid off another club for his services. All noises pointing towards a competitive budget for me but we'll see what the squad looks like come the start of the season. 

2 hours ago, The Camel’s Hump said:

There will be activity on Friday morning

Aye. I'm on a late shift so I'll be at the ground for 9:30 to buy my season ticket.

I'll be in Morrisons before hand but I'll be nowhere near the fish counter.

2 hours ago, The Camel’s Hump said:

There will be activity on Friday morning

Deadline for players to make a decision possibly? Or is a cult hero returning 👀

I wasn't aware of Montrose being bankrolled, can't be by very much given the squad they've assembled over the last 4-5 years. Alloa might have received £500K but they'll have spent a bit of that trying to keep themselves up and in any case, they've put Barry Ferguson in charge of their next budget so there's every chance that ends in tears. Cove will be a decent side again but we beat them last year with apparently the second worst budget in the league, and their first signing is looking like being Morgyn Neill so perhaps they're not throwing around as much as we thought. QP and Falkirk will be out in front with their budgets but the former currently has an abandoned building site for a ground to play in and the latter had just as a big a budget last year and finished 5th. We have absolutely nothing to fear next season and I'm delighted that Faz and Geggan are speaking so positively about us challenging for top 4. 
The handout we received from the government has lifted us out of the overdraft and into a "healthy" position for the first time in years. We not only appointed what appears to be a good manager, but we paid off another club for his services. All noises pointing towards a competitive budget for me but we'll see what the squad looks like come the start of the season. 

I’ll be absolutely astonished if we pay Stranraer anything for Faz. It’s probably more likely that his 2 year deal with them was agreed verbally but not signed. Even if we do have to pay it’ll be peanuts. St Mirren paid us less than £8k for Murray. I genuinely hope you are right with your conclusions and indeed nothing would please me more than if you are.

10 hours ago, cameron2000 said:

Geggan would be a very underwhelming signing

You need to look at more than just what he will contribute on the park, which I don’t doubt will be a mark up improvement on last years players he’s replacing, but what he brings to the dressing room as well...

As has been said, he’s a leader, ambitious and very much a similar leader to the Andy graham we signed and look how that turned out. 

The guy has went on and won the league 4 times, he knows what’s required To be competitive and hopefully that rubs off on any of the new people around him. He wouldn’t have got a deal at thistle last season if he didn’t still have something to offer