Sons' sorrow

This rather extraordinary piece has been posted by a Morton fan on the Stranraer thread on the Division Two Forum.  Not a happy camp by the look of things.

Statement from Stranraer FC Committee Members David (Taffy) Jenkins, Iain Robertson and Alan Logan:

It is with great sadness that we announce our resignations from the Stranraer FC Committee. This decision was not taken lightly and as lifelong Stranraer supporters it is not something we could ever envisioned doing.

We have resigned as we have profound concerns about the way the club we love is being run and no longer have any confidence in the Chairman and Treasurer to take decisions in the best interests of Stranraer Football Club. The atmosphere at Committee meetings recently has been toxic, lacking in courtesy and respect As Commitee members we have consistently been excluded from key decisions and not been provided access to essential financial documents to enable us to make informed decisions on the club's future. In our many years of experience in both the public and private sectors, we found this financial practice to be highly irregular and one which poses an unacceptably high risk to the club.

This lack of transparency and unaccountable decision making is not in the best interests of Stranraer FC and we fear if changes are not made the club will fall out of the national football league.

We believe the club needs to address these concerns urgently, beginning with an open discussion at our upcoming AGM on the future direction and leadership of the club.

We will continue to support our club, but only as loyal fans from the terraces.

Best Wishes 

to all Stranraer supporters and stay safe

Taffy, Iain and Alan

That statement along with the slightly rushed feel to the appointment announcement - ie no ubiquitous photo with scarf or social media graphics - makes me wonder if this was a last minute change of heart having seen what was on the cards at Stranraer.

Perhaps the Camel's Hump was originally correct but things changed quickly. 

8 hours ago, The Moonster said:

We're all allowed our own opinions! Out of interest, is there anyone you'd rather have had?

No, not specifically, and I appreciate that it probably wasn't going to be anyone much better/more exciting than Faz (appreciate that no one on here replied with "who were you expecting, Guardiola?", which I'd probably have got on the FB group!!) Just seems a little underwhelming, but I could just be being pessimistic. Realistically, whoever we appointed, what it will ultimately come down to is whether the new owners are willing to put their money where their mouth is and back the manager with a competitive budget.

8 hours ago, the snudge said:

What makes you think the appointment might not be decent? It's an open forum you shouldn't be red dotted for having an opinion that's not bat shit crazy

I don't necessarily think its a bad appointment, just not quite sharing the positivity from the rest of the support on here (which is great to see, though!). I'm just not totally convinced his Stranraer sides have me won over on how good he'll be.

7 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Either way I’m convinced it’s a huge upgrade on Duffy.

This is certainly true. At least he will actually make a bit of effort with his signings, rather than plundering Greenock Morton reserves.

6 hours ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

At first, when I heard the rumours, I was the same. However, in the state of flux we're in and with the uncertainty of how things stand with the new owners, combined with the strength of the league we're competing in, I'm inclined to think that someone with experience and who knows the club may be no bad thing. In his parting shot, Duffy seemed to acknowledge that a younger hungrier man was required. It wouldn't totally surprise me if he put in a word for Faz, particularly if his departure was as amicable as he portrayed.

Again, a massive part of it will come down to the budget he has to operate with. If he's given the opportunity to build a decent team with a respectable budget, I'll be really keen to see what he can do.

Edited by FifeSons

6 hours ago, FifeSons said:

Again, a massive part of it will come down to the budget he has to operate with. If he's given the opportunity to build a decent team with a respectable budget, I'll be really keen to see what he can do.

I have emphasised this point here in recent days. You have to think he will have sought assurances on the budget. 

All fair points FifeSons. Looking at that statement from the Stranraer committee though, it would appear Faz has been operating in extremely difficult circumstances, financially and politically. You've got to assume he's been told what he'll have to work with here and he appears to have jumped at it.

44 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

All fair points FifeSons. Looking at that statement from the Stranraer committee though, it would appear Faz has been operating in extremely difficult circumstances, financially and politically. You've got to assume he's been told what he'll have to work with here and he appears to have jumped at it.

$on$

That statement along with the slightly rushed feel to the appointment announcement - ie no ubiquitous photo with scarf or social media graphics - makes me wonder if this was a last minute change of heart having seen what was on the cards at Stranraer.
Perhaps the Camel's Hump was originally correct but things changed quickly. 

Thank you for trying to restore some of my dignity......but no, I arsed up on this one

Just noticed there's current players in that sons of the rock Facebook page, one of them just liked a comment I've made.

Feel a bit awkward they can see what we are saying, especially all the nonsense the headbangers come out with 😂

Edited by Thommo90

Just noticed there's current players in that sons of the rock Facebook page, one of them just liked a comment I've made.
Feel a bit awkward they can see what we are saying, especially all the nonsense the headbangers come out with [emoji23]

Many many current players and ex players on it, including managers.

It’s my group,