Sons' sorrow

3 hours ago, lorenzo71 said:

Not against him at all TBH.He knows the club and the set-up well and has I believe lots of connections in football, especially at Junior level.

Would love him to unearth the new Garry Fleming.

He’ll be hard pressed to find any Junior football these days.....

32 minutes ago, Bankies Alive said:

He’ll be hard pressed to find any Junior football these days.....

Do you think your striker Nicky Little could make the step to league one? Watching your highlight he seems like a cracking player.

5 minutes ago, Jupiter Jazz said:

PJ Crossan has signed for the Loons. What are your thoughts lads? Best out wide or up top? 

PJ Crossan is a bit of an anomaly in terms of a Duffy signing. He's small, skilful, tricky, injury prone and inconsistent. Which is the exact opposite of the kind of player Duffy usually signed.

In terms of ability he has no issue at all. There is plenty. He'll drive at players, show some great skill and lovely wee touches. The issue is that I'm not sure there's much of a connection between his brain and his legs. He'll skin a player, then try and skin him again and run out of play. He'll try and put a cross in when taking the defender on is a better option, and take the defender on when a cross has to go in.

At times it's almost like his brain and vision can't keep up with his legs.

He's also horribly injury prone. He will miss 6-8 weeks of a full season guaranteed and it will take him another four to get back to any sort of fitness and sharpness.  His injury almost always strikes just as he's hitting a bit of form too...

All that being said, I wouldn't have been averse to keeping him. On his day he can be a matchwinner and (as he showed in the 4-3 game at Station Park a few years ago) he knows how to lead the line. Personally I reckon he'd be a pretty effective striker, but we almost always played him out wide. He's strong, won't shirk a challenge, is stocky and has a good turn of pace. 

Good luck to him at the Loons. I hope he gets an injury free season under his belt.

Crossan could be a decent player. You just never know which Crossan is going to turn up. He's an inside forward rather than a winger or an out and out striker. Best cutting in from his wing and running at the space between fullback and centre half. His final ball isnt good enough to be a winger and he doesnt score enough to be a striker. You're really looking for the fullback on his side to overlap and provide crosses because Crossan's final ball isnt the best. Also a confidence player - if he's playing well then do whatever you can to keep him doing so because when he's cold it takes a lot to get him on form again.

I agree with all of the above, and I think that League 2 might suit him to get a full season under his belt.  For a lot of his time at Dumbarton I associated PJ with the website telling me he was unavailable to play - ditto Nat Wedderburn.  As Jan says there is a footballer in there, but he needs to develop some consistency; he reminded me a bit of Tom Walsh in that regard.

In wider terms of departures, McGeever, Neill and Wardrop were really the only guys I was happy to remain, so I'm happy to see big Ryan re-sign.  And no, I haven't missed Rico, I think he regressed quite a lot this season.

3 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I agree with all of the above, and I think that League 2 might suit him to get a full season under his belt.  For a lot of his time at Dumbarton I associated PJ with the website telling me he was unavailable to play - ditto Nat Wedderburn.  As Jan says there is a footballer in there, but he needs to develop some consistency; he reminded me a bit of Tom Walsh in that regard.

In wider terms of departures, McGeever, Neill and Wardrop were really the only guys I was happy to remain, so I'm happy to see big Ryan re-sign.  And no, I haven't missed Rico, I think he regressed quite a lot this season.

If it is Faz as manager I'd keep Rico. I've heard more than a few say that Faz is the best coach they've worked under and I think with a season of good coaching he could improve. It was clear Duffy coached him the basics, win the ball, clear the danger, but he's capable of more than that. His defending of back post crosses is criminal though.

1 hour ago, the snudge said:

Do you think your striker Nicky Little could make the step to league one? Watching your highlight he seems like a cracking player.

I’m sure he could,thankfully he’s already signed up for this season.He’s the captain and is really good guy who loves playing for us.

If it is Faz as manager I'd keep Rico. I've heard more than a few say that Faz is the best coach they've worked under and I think with a season of good coaching he could improve. It was clear Duffy coached him the basics, win the ball, clear the danger, but he's capable of more than that. His defending of back post crosses is criminal though.

The Faz rumours may prove to be a red herring (no Norwegian pun intended)