Sons' sorrow

10 hours ago, The Moonster said:

I really hope we have a manager lined up and we're pressing on with things whilst we sort out the paperwork or whatever, because it's madness to sign players before we have. 

Steven Farrell. 

If we can keep Morgan Neill aswell I'd be quite happy about that. No manager on League one part time is really going to refuse that centre half pairing. Even Ramsbottom would be decent too. Add Wardrop and Quitongo in and not much is getting past us. 

Wedderburn wasn't that great. I thought for someone with a decent rep for protecting the ball, he gave it away too often. He wasn't a guaranteed starter. If we can replace him with a high energy pacey midfielder (like that ginger llad from Edinburgh) its not a great loss. 

I'd be quite happy about Stevie Farrell coming on board. Gutted that he can't take Joao Victoria if he's appointed. 

Edited by the snudge

The Faz rumours appear to be picking up a bit of pace now. Our very own Chick Young - Mr @Jan Vojáček confirming via his Twitter that there is truth in the rumour that we are targetting Faz and I’ll tell you what, I trust that man.

Not sure how I feel about Faz, I really like him but I have a slight doubt lingering.

Wedderburn was a slightly downgraded Kyle Hutton. If you play him sitting in front of the defence then he'll mop up loose balls all day and he'll pass them accurately to somebody ahead of him. If opponents start to get away from him then he'll foul them because he can't match them for pace over any kind of distance. Not a bad player at all, but basically dictating how the rest of your midfield has to be set up. The guy Wedderburn needed beside him wasn't Ross Forbes. A Stenny midfield featuring both of them will be incredibly slow.

1 hour ago, Mattmc said:

Steven Farrell. 

Would be happy with Faz. Well liked the last time he was here and appears to have been working under severe budget restraints at Stranraer, so he'll fit the bill for us. He's also about 1000 times more enthusiastic than Duffy and speaks honestly about his teams, so he's an improvement before a ball is kicked. 

Farrell actually ticks a lot of boxes for me. Younger, more positive coach but with experience and also knows the club well.  And not one of the old guard coaching as an aside to media work. 

Would not be a box office appointment but a sensible and positive one. 

21 minutes ago, PWL said:

Farrell actually ticks a lot of boxes for me. Younger, more positive coach but with experience and also knows the club well.  And not one of the old guard coaching as an aside to media work. 

Would not be a box office appointment but a sensible and positive one. 

Does he not also tick the 'waver' box? 

11 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

Not against him at all TBH.He knows the club and the set-up well and has I believe lots of connections in football, especially at Junior level.

Would love him to unearth the new Garry Fleming.

We’ve not seen much of his connections with junior football. 
He seems to be well though of by many managers and players though. 
Ryan Stevenson said he’s the best he’s worked under. Still chose to sign for Troon instead of us though.

Let's be honest, Faz appeared to keep Aitken in his place. When Faz left Aitken turned into a Billy big baws and thought he was something.

I quite liked him when he was with us and think he has worked well in a difficult job at Stranraer too. He conducts himself well and still appears to be driven and well grounded.

2 minutes ago, Mattmc said:

We’ve not seen much of his connections with junior football. 
He seems to be well though of by many managers and players though. 
Ryan Stevenson said he’s the best he’s worked under. Still chose to sign for Troon instead of us though.

I think a lot of that has been down to budget constraints to be fair.The unfair relegation of Stranraer last year had a big impact on finances I believe so DF was working under very difficult circumstances but still put out a fairly competitive team.

9 minutes ago, squeezeboxson said:

Let's be honest, Faz appeared to keep Aitken in his place. When Faz left Aitken turned into a Billy big baws and thought he was something.

I think there's a lot of truth in that. Aitken certainly declined when he had that bigoted old fud Durrant advising him. It also saw Aitken move away from making shrewd signings from the lower leagues and start chasing players with a reputation (ex-Rangers) on decent money. It's clear Faz has a decent eye for a player and isn't scared to pluck folk from obscurity and give them a chance. The more I think about it the more I'm totally on board with big Faz.

20 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I think there's a lot of truth in that. Aitken certainly declined when he had that bigoted old fud Durrant advising him. It also saw Aitken move away from making shrewd signings from the lower leagues and start chasing players with a reputation (ex-Rangers) on decent money. It's clear Faz has a decent eye for a player and isn't scared to pluck folk from obscurity and give them a chance. The more I think about it the more I'm totally on board with big Faz.

Cheers for giving me a morning task of working out the win %

League only.

Aitken/Farrell P 59 - W 16 - D 13 - L 30 - a win rate of 27%

Aitken/Durrant P58 - W13 - D17 - L29 - a win rate of 22%

What those stats don't highlight is how there were 'easier' games (no Rangers or Hearts + a quarter of a league 1 campaign)