Sons' sorrow

17 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

Stranraer aren’t including the game for season tickets, so I’m assuming we’ll do the same.

Now I’ve dusted myself off after yesterday, I’m right up for this. What a mug I am.

I'll be disappointed if we're asked to fork out for these. I paid a full normal season ticket to help the club but I still expected 13 home games in return. I realise that was my choice at the time, full in the knowledge that I might not get my 13 games, but we've watched 11 so far and have potentially 2 remaining. I would hope our board can extend these games to STs, my goodwill for Duffyball has expired. 

4 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I think it was only moved because it's going to be live on BBC Alba (which also means we can't do a stream I believe). Fans getting in could be an unexpected positive of that; but I somehow can't see it happening. 

Here was me being foolish enough to give the spfl some credit as well

Interesting reading the Sons fans' comments.  From the outside looking in, the style under Duffy is a hard watch, not one I associate with Dumbarton over the years.  It gives the impression that your board's main aim, maybe based on resources, was staying in L1 at all costs.  Be well organized, hard to beat and grind out survival by any means necessary.  Does that sound about right ?  Up until now it's worked and may still do in the playoffs, wouldn't be surprised if it did.

But what's the thinking for the future ? Reading something about a new investor who's taken a look at your club & thought that from what he's seen, you could go full time.  Presumably the sense of "potential" takes on board having a stadium with one stand and a fan base of several hundred.  Will this individual be looking to invest from the outset and increase the budget for players immediately ?  On the face of it none of this seems to really add up, but am I missing something here?

Good luck in the playoffs anyway.  Nothing against the other teams but you'll at least bring something resembling an away support.  

9 hours ago, BrigtonClyde said:

Interesting reading the Sons fans' comments.  From the outside looking in, the style under Duffy is a hard watch, not one I associate with Dumbarton over the years.  It gives the impression that your board's main aim, maybe based on resources, was staying in L1 at all costs.  Be well organized, hard to beat and grind out survival by any means necessary.  Does that sound about right ?  Up until now it's worked and may still do in the playoffs, wouldn't be surprised if it did.

But what's the thinking for the future ? Reading something about a new investor who's taken a look at your club & thought that from what he's seen, you could go full time.  Presumably the sense of "potential" takes on board having a stadium with one stand and a fan base of several hundred.  Will this individual be looking to invest from the outset and increase the budget for players immediately ?  On the face of it none of this seems to really add up, but am I missing something here?

Good luck in the playoffs anyway.  Nothing against the other teams but you'll at least bring something resembling an away support.  

To answer your points about the change of ownership, it is too early to know what are the immediate plans as nothing has yet been communicated in detail.  One point that may be relevant however is that the new owners appear to be intent in carrying on with the previous majority shareholders' intention of relocating the club, an endeavor which has already had one failed attempt.  From the outside they seem to have laid out a lot of money to take ownership of the club and it's controlling shareholder; perhaps they have their own vision for the future, or perhaps they have literally been 'sold' one - for a price.

As for the football, I think Duffy had a limited budget but was pretty much given a free reign in team matters.  It's not been a hard watch, it's been a grim watch and I don't think you'll find many Sons fans who are confident of facing the Bully Wee again on league business next season.

On 06/05/2021 at 23:15, cameron2000 said:

Is it bad that rather than being worried and anxious about the playoffs I just can’t be arsed with them or watching them?

I get this. Through a combination of different factors it’s felt like this season has lasted around 10 years. The playoffs are just prolonging the misery a bit. Maybe we’ll come through them or perhaps we won’t but either way it’ll just be good to be done with season 20-21.

9 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

To answer your points about the change of ownership, it is too early to know what are the immediate plans as nothing has yet been communicated in detail.  One point that may be relevant however is that the new owners appear to be intent in carrying on with the previous majority shareholders' intention of relocating the club, an endeavor which has already had one failed attempt.  From the outside they seem to have laid out a lot of money to take ownership of the club and it's controlling shareholder; perhaps they have their own vision for the future, or perhaps they have literally been 'sold' one - for a price.

As for the football, I think Duffy had a limited budget but was pretty much given a free reign in team matters.  It's not been a hard watch, it's been a grim watch and I don't think you'll find many Sons fans who are confident of facing the Bully Wee again on league business next season.

Just out of interest, why are they looking to relocate again ?  Are they restricted in building more stands on that land or something ?

Do you know who the new owners are, their background etc ?  Have they a historic link with the club or the area ? 

Just out of interest, why are they looking to relocate again ?  Are they restricted in building more stands on that land or something ?
Do you know who the new owners are, their background etc ?  Have they a historic link with the club or the area ? 

They want to relocate to make money from selling the existing ground
No one has a clue who the new owners are but their background appears to be a mixture of property development and player agency
They have absolutely no link with the club or the area
Promising eh?

I have to admit that I have watched very few games this season as I am not a fan of watching it on CCTV like cameras but surely what ever happens then we are about to see a big clear out.

I hope/assume Duffy is gone at the end of the season as I just don’t think he has it in him anymore.

From a player POV I would keep Ramsbottom, Neil, McGeaver, Quitongo, Wardrop, Wedderburn and maybe Wilson (I think there’s a player there but just not given the correct ball) Everyone else can go as far as I am concerned.

38 minutes ago, Sons Fan said:

From a player POV I would keep Ramsbottom, Neil, McGeaver, Quitongo, Wardrop, Wedderburn and maybe Wilson (I think there’s a player there but just not given the correct ball) Everyone else can go as far as I am concerned.

Agreed. Though it would be good to have a manager who tells Neill and McGeever not to just launch it at every opportunity.

I was thinking today about how comically bad they were as a partnership when they first came in. I'm sure there was a cup game against maybe Morton (?) where we got absolutely humped and the defending was real comedy stuff. They've come a long way to be pretty solid since then.

ETA this is the game I was thinking of https://www.dumbartonfootballclub.com/matchreports/?id=1056

Edited by FifeSons

9 hours ago, Nowhereman said:

They want to relocate to make money from selling the existing ground
No one has a clue who the new owners are but their background appears to be a mixture of property development and player agency
They have absolutely no link with the club or the area
Promising eh?

Jesus, that's a dangerous mix alright.  Tread carefully with that one !

1 hour ago, microdave said:

This season only started in October. Does anyone else feel like it's lasted longer than all the rest or is it just me?

Aye. The Stranraer commentstor also said today it feels like Carswells been with us for about 100 years, which feels about right too.

One of the few shining lights of the season has been Sam Ramsbottom. He's been immense since the horror goal on his debut and deserves a massive amount of credit for coming back from that. If he doesn't stay with us, I hope he get a good move elsewhere.

Edited by FifeSons

3 hours ago, microdave said:

This season only started in October. Does anyone else feel like it's lasted longer than all the rest or is it just me?

Just wait until next season when Stevie Aitken sends us down to the Lowland League...

13 hours ago, FifeSons said:

Agreed. Though it would be good to have a manager who tells Neill and McGeever not to just launch it at every opportunity.

There was a passage of play yesterday where we calmly passed the ball across the defence, then started to look to progress the ball into midfield. I was gobsmacked.