Sons' sorrow

1 hour ago, microdave said:

I hope the club don't try to charge season ticket holders for the play off match. They were patg last time but this year's ticket was bought on the presumption of 13 games. The play off will be match 12 at home.

Wondered this last week also.  Hopefully common sense prevails and we get them.  Paid for a season ticket on the basis of getting entry to 18 games, not streaming 11.

Eta - shorter season would have been announced at time of purchase.  Point still stands though.

Edited by Thommo90

2 hours ago, George Parr said:

Desperately poor performance today in what’s been a really difficult season. We just didn’t compete well enough, which is so disappointing. Also seemed to really miss McAllister’s presence in this side, he’s emerged as an asset as the weeks have progressed. 
A collective deep breath is now required by everyone and a bit of focus ahead of Peterhead. The pendulum has swung in Clyde’s favour but we’re not yet in playoffs and we’re not yet ‘doon’.

I hope that after the match today Jim and the senior players insisted upon a reaction. It would be extremely aggravating if we don’t come flying out the traps on Tuesday

Ahh... like we should have done today you mean? 😒

2 hours ago, Thommo90 said:

Wondered this last week also.  Hopefully common sense prevails and we get them.  Paid for a season ticket on the basis of getting entry to 18 games, not streaming 11.

Eta - shorter season would have been announced at time of purchase.  Point still stands though.

We'll probably  be charged in Krone

I have concerns about this- Private Equity Firm seems to be a euphemism for "chancing b*****ds". English football has been plagued by chancing b*****ds trying to make a fast buck and football clubs have actually gone out of existence as a result-  football in Hereford, Scarborough and Darlington has had to be revived by the fans forming phoenix clubs.

Dumbarton FC are nearly 150 years old and deserve respect for being so old. You have the potential I suppose to be an established Championship club. I can even remember them being in the Premier Division in the 1980s. But then I can also remember another club near to Dumbarton being in the Premier Division and then a respectacle enough club in the First Division- Clydebank FC. 

I hope it works out for Dumbarton but I have worries that a few years down the line you may be asking United Clydebank Supporters on tips in regard to forming and running a new club in the West of Scotland League.

10 hours ago, tamthebam said:

I have concerns about this- Private Equity Firm seems to be a euphemism for "chancing b*****ds". English football has been plagued by chancing b*****ds trying to make a fast buck and football clubs have actually gone out of existence as a result-  football in Hereford, Scarborough and Darlington has had to be revived by the fans forming phoenix clubs.

Dumbarton FC are nearly 150 years old and deserve respect for being so old. You have the potential I suppose to be an established Championship club. I can even remember them being in the Premier Division in the 1980s. BuA very At then I can also remember another club near to Dumbarton being in the Premier Division and then a respectacle enough club in the First Division- Clydebank FC. 

I hope it works out for Dumbarton but I have worries that a few years down the line you may be asking United Clydebank Supporters on tips in regard to forming and running a new club in the West of Scotland League.

A very measured post and I agree with a great deal of it.  As someone who was close to the people who fought for the Bankies in those dark days I remember wondering if Dumbarton folk would have the same passion and resolve if we ever found ourselves in similar straits and I didn't come up with a good answer.  So let's hope it doesn't come to that.

I've now had a look at the website for the architects firm believed to be involved in the takeover, two of whom are rumoured to be joining the DFC Board.  For the life of me I'm struggling to understand how an obviously upward practice in Central Manchester and a Norwegian businessman based in the Midlands are investing in a small Scottish club 300 miles North to turn a buck when there must be dozens of similar opportunities nearer to home.

Until we know more though this is obviously speculation on my part, but all I'm saying is that perhaps we shouldn't automatically assume they are simply intent on reheating the original Brabco proposal.  And for the record, I have absolutely NO inside knowledge, but I do expect things to now move quite quickly.

Just had a look on the OS there...

The last time one of our strikers scored in the league was in November - 18 games ago. In total our strikers have contributed 2 (TWO!) league goals between them in the league - both Wilson. Our top scorer in the league has a paltry two goals (Wedderburn, Wilson & Frizzle). Duffy obviously tried to rectify this in January by signing Layne who has managed around 70 minutes of football since his arrival and who, for some reason after starting on Tuesday, was nowhere to be seen yesterday. Was he injured? Was he told not to bother after his half hearted display on Tuesday? Who knows. Yesterday we actually needed him when we were chasing a goal, despite him looking miles off it on Tuesday.

How Duffy has survived for so long is absolutely beyond me. Why has he not tried something different like sticking Crossan up front who we know has a goal or two in him? Jones and Wilson are absolutely miles out of their depth and neither of them are what you’d consider a goalscorer.

We clearly have other issues as well (the midfield are generally anonymous 90% of time and our other attacking players don’t contribute nearly enough) but the striking department has been a glaring issue from day 1 and the only thing Duffy has done to try and sort it is sign a guy who is notoriously injury prone.

Does anyone look at Elgin, Stirling Albion and Edinburgh City and think we can genuinely get a result against any of them? We just don’t score goals, the main component of winning a football match. 

I am also genuinely concerned that the board will offer Duffy a new deal based on this phantom reputation he has of being a good manager. If fans were allowed into stadiums I have no doubt that the atmosphere would be absolutely poisinous.

Edited to add: for a man of his experience Duffy’s contacts in the game are embarassingly bad. Loans from Morton and Peterhead whilst we have the two biggest clubs in the country 30 minutes up the road. Other than Dabrowski his loan signings have been massively uninspiring. Any decent lower league club will always depend on at least 1 or 2 good loan signings per season. Duffy is completely incapable of providing us with that.

Edited by Bring Back Paddy Flannery

5 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

A very measured post and I agree with a great deal of it.  As someone who was close to the people who fought for the Bankies in those dark days I remember wondering if Dumbarton folk would have the same passion and resolve if we ever found ourselves in similar straits and I didn't come up with a good answer.  So let's hope it doesn't come to that.

I've now had a look at the website for the architects firm believed to be involved in the takeover, two of whom are rumoured to be joining the DFC Board.  For the life of me I'm struggling to understand how an obviously upward practice in Central Manchester and a Norwegian businessman based in the Midlands are investing in a small Scottish club 300 miles North to turn a buck when there must be dozens of similar opportunities nearer to home.

Until we know more though this is obviously speculation on my part, but all I'm saying is that perhaps we shouldn't automatically assume they are simply intent on reheating the original Brabco proposal.  And for the record, I have absolutely NO inside knowledge, but I do expect things to now move quite quickly.

A few of the guys i went to school with are now regular sons fans, or at least I think they are. Always had a soft spot for Dumbarton and hate the mess that appears to have happened now, especially after the highs of getting to the cup final and seeing you all buzzing about football for a bit. 
There were loads of Dumbarton fans who helped Clydebank with either chipping in, coming along to games, joining our trust or even helping out with ground work. 
I hope im wrong, but absolutely nothing of this new company makes any sense in terms of an outcome that doesnt involve the club moving from the rock. The fact your trust is having to wait so long to speak to them is absolutely alarming. 
If the worst does happen (which absolutely hope it doesnt) you’ll have the backing of Clydebank fans in every way. 
If you did have to start again or whatever at least the groundwork has been done to get a decent run at the pyramid (but thats worst case scenario which hopefully doesnt happen) and the options for a small but decent ground seem to be better than in Clydebank. 

Here we are, 3 days after announcing we have new owners, and the only official communication we have is a couple of paragraphs long. The fans deserve a better update than that and we deserve it asap.

Everything about us right now is frustrating the life out of me, from on the park to off it. It simply isn’t good enough all round.

Here we are, 3 days after announcing we have new owners, and the only official communication we have is a couple of paragraphs long. The fans deserve a better update than that and we deserve it asap.

Everything about us right now is frustrating the life out of me, from on the park to off it. It simply isn’t good enough all round.

To be fair it’s not even one working day after the announcement as today is bank holiday. Might they be waiting for the outcome of tomorrow night’s game to engage with the media/ fans?

9 minutes ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

To be fair it’s not even one working day after the announcement as today is bank holiday. Might they be waiting for the outcome of tomorrow night’s game to engage with the media/ fans?

I’m sure we could muster up something, whether is a working day, weekend or bank holiday. I don’t see why we would wait at all given the speculation flying around regarding the new owners, it wont impact the outcome of tomorrow’s game. Just give as an update that at least provides some detail around what the hell is happening, it’s the least we deserve after the support we’ve given the club over the last year. If someone can’t take an hour out of their bank holiday weekend to draft up a proper statement it’s a sad state of affairs.

1 hour ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I’m sure we could muster up something, whether is a working day, weekend or bank holiday. I don’t see why we would wait at all given the speculation flying around regarding the new owners, it wont impact the outcome of tomorrow’s game. Just give as an update that at least provides some detail around what the hell is happening, it’s the least we deserve after the support we’ve given the club over the last year. If someone can’t take an hour out of their bank holiday weekend to draft up a proper statement it’s a sad state of affairs.

What the new owners have to say is of sufficient importance to me that I'm willing to wait until they have a comprehensive statement to make.  Aggreko was taken over last week and the workers were told it will likely be months before the new ownership  fully kicks in.  For all we know there may be legal and regulatory aspects to be dealt, never mind the SFA and SPFL, so I think we need to bide our time.

Having said that I really hope that the DFC Board will emphasise the need for restoring trust and belief in a support base utterly demoralised by the Brabco reign, and I would hope and expect that we are not about to witness a repeat of that experience.

On the football side, future changes are a given but it is what it is for what remains of this season and that should be completely divorced from the takeover.

On 02/05/2021 at 13:24, Nowhereman said:

What I can’t rationalise is why you would name a new company More Homes DFC ltd. No matter what your intentions are at best that’s stupid and at worst very provocative

Their intentions are clear, tbf.

Screenshot_20210503-173054_Chrome.thumb.jpg.b551349d96a1011cd739b1f3035c5dbd.jpg

*apologies if that's a huge image, I'm on my phone.

Hopefully it doesn't mean anything sinister for Dumbarton FC.