Sons' sorrow

Statement from the Sons Supporters Trust regarding the takeover of DFC as follows:-

‘As promised in our most recent newsletter, the Sons Supporters Trust wrote to Brabco736 on 8th April, to seek their plans for the future of Dumbarton FC.  We did not receive a reply, but as you may well be aware, there have been major developments in the last couple of days.

The Sons Supporters Trust notes the takeover of Brabco 736 Limited by Cognitive Capital Limited and with it the majority shareholding in Dumbarton Football Club.

We wish the new owners every success in their future endeavors to take the club forward and we will seek early engagement with them to communicate the supporter and community interest in that process.

On Wednesday 12th May there is a scheduled meeting between representatives of DFC and Sonstrust Board representatives respectively at which we will seek to discuss the new owners’ future plans and vision for the football club in more detail.  Following that we will be in a position to make a further communication.

The Sons Supporters Trust’

We’re not down yet but our failure to score has been a weight around our league position since the restart and beyond. 
can only hope for miracle v Peterhead and that east fife are a bit pissed with Clyde . 
thereafter need to see who we may get next week.

no point in slagging off individual forwards at this stage as they are all as bad as each other. 

The time to bin Duffy was when the league was paused after Christmas. It was obvious that we were struggling and that Duffy didnt have the answers to improve us. By the time we started playing again with the condensed schedule it was probably too late to get somebody in and expect them to try to turn things around. I'm not confident that we'll stay up via the playoffs (I think that 8th is way beyond us now and that we're losing against Peterhead on Tuesday). I always feel that momentum has a huge part to play in the Scottish play-offs and that if you've been on a losing streak to finish 9th then the margins between you and the runners up from the division below are so thin that their more positive momentum gives them the edge. They've got the habit of winning whilst we've got the habit of losing. We're the ones that somehow need to find a way to start winning football games despite all evidence to the contrary. Duffy should have been sacked in January. He should be punted regardless of what happens this season.

And now we're in the position of also having to worry about the new ownership. The involvement of an architect is naturally a huge concern. This deal hasn't come out of nowhere and Brabco were talking to potential new owners as far away as 18 months ago. Probably closer to 2 years. Getting the deal finalised at the end of an absolutely bizarre season seems strange timing. The future of the club is far from certain and there will always be a suspicion over any foreign money that wants to invest in a Scottish lower league football club. That the new owners have links to football through player agency may ultimately be a positive but there's still a lingering suspicion that they don't really appreciate what they're buying. With the best will in the world? We're Dumbarton. We play in the lower leagues of Scottish football. We had a great run for a few years in the Championship. If their model is to bring in players with scope to be developed and then sell on for a profit then you have to look at the track record of Scottish lower league clubs at selling players for a profit. It hasnt been a hotbed of talent development. Dumbarton deserves better than to be a football agent's version of a colts team.

I genuinely feel for the Sons Trust right now. It's going to be a huge ask getting the new owners to engage with the fans. Dealing with Brabco was bad enough. The club board have had many a battle with our former owners and we'll need strong leadership from them as we start the relationship with the new owners. I'm not convinced that it's one of John Steele's strengths. He's great at saying the right things and creating the conditions where fans can explore options for greater involvement and greater fundraising. I don't think his strength is in hands on management and what the club needs right now is very much strong management and leadership from the board. Time will tell, but it's a very worrying time to be a Sons fan.

As for Tuesday, I'd much rather that the Clyde v East Fife game was played on Tuesday. East Fife can play their remaining game on Thursday as it's basically dead rubber.

That’s actually a very good point. Given that the spfl made us play Raith Rovers at lunchtime a few years back just so that the whole league finished at the same time you’d think they might consider switching the fixtures

What an absolute shit show of a season. Duffy should be gone long ago, biggest game of the season and we go down with a whimper. 11 goals in 21 matches? That's ridiculously bad, embarrassingly bad and JD needs to take full blame for that.

Then we have a sneaky silent takeover. Strange we never had an inkling before it happened, usually potential takeovers are well documented before they happen. I suppose if it was Brabco being taken over and not actually DFC it may be slightly different, but I just take that as confirmation we are an inconvenient pawn in a much bigger picture. Outsiders looking in maybe think this  'takeover' is good news, I fear the worst if I'm honest.

Next season can't be so bad can it? Relegation fight in league 2? Surely we might at least score some goals.......

I hope the club don't try to charge season ticket holders for the play off match. They were patg last time but this year's ticket was bought on the presumption of 13 games. The play off will be match 12 at home.

6 minutes ago, microdave said:

I hope the club don't try to charge season ticket holders for the play off match. They were patg last time but this year's ticket was bought on the presumption of 13 games. The play off will be match 12 at home.

I certainly won't be buying them. I've paid enough for this utter shite we've been served up this season. 

Desperately poor performance today in what’s been a really difficult season. We just didn’t compete well enough, which is so disappointing. Also seemed to really miss McAllister’s presence in this side, he’s emerged as an asset as the weeks have progressed. 
A collective deep breath is now required by everyone and a bit of focus ahead of Peterhead. The pendulum has swung in Clyde’s favour but we’re not yet in playoffs and we’re not yet ‘doon’.

I hope that after the match today Jim and the senior players insisted upon a reaction. It would be extremely aggravating if we don’t come flying out the traps on Tuesday. 

I certainly won't be buying them. I've paid enough for this utter shite we've been served up this season. 
I like your optimism saying them, thinking there might be more than one. I've resigned myself to defeat on Tuesday and losing the semi final.

2 minutes ago, George Parr said:

Desperately poor performance today in what’s been a really difficult season. We just didn’t compete well enough, which is so disappointing. Also seemed to really miss McAllister’s presence in this side, he’s emerged as an asset as the weeks have progressed. 
A collective deep breath is now required by everyone and a bit of focus ahead of Peterhead. The pendulum has swung in Clyde’s favour but we’re not yet in playoffs and we’re not yet ‘doon’.

I hope that after the match today Jim and the senior players insisted upon a reaction. It would be extremely aggravating if we don’t come flying out the traps on Tuesday. 

Duffy doesn't know how to get us flying out of any traps. He has no clue how to get this side to take a game to an opponent. East Fife are in holiday mode and Clyde will sword them easily. We need to hope we can shitfest it through the play offs but I don't hold out much hope, today was must not lose and we shat the bed.

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

Duffy doesn't know how to get us flying out of any traps. He has no clue how to get this side to take a game to an opponent. East Fife are in holiday mode and Clyde will sword them easily. We need to hope we can shitfest it through the play offs but I don't hold out much hope, today was must not lose and we shat the bed.

I Love Lfc GIF by Liverpool FC

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I still find it quite difficult to call as neither Dumbarton or Clyde are impressive football teams. I couldn’t confidently predict that either will win this week. 

That’s actually a very good point. Given that the spfl made us play Raith Rovers at lunchtime a few years back just so that the whole league finished at the same time you’d think they might consider switching the fixtures
If the East Fife game had been played on Tuesday then it would have been the other way round. Somebody was also going to be sitting out with 5 teams would have made more sense for that to be the team in 6th.

League Two it is then.

See the Clyde fans fully living up to being the worst on P&B.

ETA looks like it’s just one weirdo with many posts. Apologies other Clyde fans.

Edited by FifeSons

1 hour ago, microdave said:

I’ll be surprised if they don’t charge for them.