Sons' sorrow

Our final 4 games are East Fife, Cove, Clyde and Thistle. I'm ignoring the potential additional games for now.

Forfar play Clyde twice, Airdrie and East Fife.

Of those sets of fixtures, Forfar have the easier run in. They play Clyde twice. Our game against Clyde is must win. We can't afford to give Forfar the chance to get better results against Clyde than we do and force us down to 10th. It's difficult to see how we beat Cove, East Fife or Thistle? We've played poorly since the return to play and we weren't good enough at the start of the season. Best case scenario is beating Clyde and somehow getting points from the other 3 games. Worst case is that we lose all 4 and that Forfar beat Clyde at least once. That worst case doesn't look particularly unlikely. 

I can see us going the final 4 games of the season without a win and Forfar picking up a win against Clyde in one of their games. We got away with it last night - Montrose should have won and Ramsbottom essentially stole the point with a couple of really big saves. Our defence and Ramsbottom's newfound competence in goals might be enough to steal another point between Thursday and the Thistle game but we just don't look capable of winning. Leaves us relying on Forfar being worse than we are and I'm not convinced that they won't beat Clyde in at least one of their two games.

The worst part? It's that Duffy looks completely incapable of changing things and at least having a go.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

All of our hopes right now hinge on Layne. He is literally the only player we have that might change the dynamic of our forward play. If he's not fit for Saturday at least then I suspect his intervention may be too late anyway. 

It is somehow symbolic that our season is likely to be book-ended by the signing of two strikers with chronic injury problems.  Not the players' fault of course, but we can't say that their unavailability came as any great surprise, and you've really got to question whether this is the best that Dumbarton FC could have come up with. 

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

All of our hopes right now hinge on Layne. He is literally the only player we have that might change the dynamic of our forward play. If he's not fit for Saturday at least then I suspect his intervention may be too late anyway. 

It does. The problem is that even if Layne does get fit, we will provide him with absolutely zero service.

5 minutes ago, the snudge said:

Have you had a reply from the club yet with your email of concerns?

I haven't. To be fair, I told them my email didn't require a reply as I understand John Steele and others probably have more pressing matters to deal with than placating a duffer like me, but I did say that I'd like some sort of meeting between the fans/board or a statement from the board at some point to clarify how they feel our performance on the field has been, and more importantly how badly the situation off the field is affecting the situation on the field. 

Jamie Barclay has always carried a wee bit of extra weight, not sure Barry Ferguson was too impressed. He had the potential to be a decent 'keeper when he was younger.  He was solid enough for a Clyde team who had no money to get anyone better, but that was a wee while ago now. You always felt if he properly dedicated himself to being athletic then he would have reached some of the goals he conceded.

Anyway, he'll make Ramsbottom feel better when he shows him this:

Jamie Barclay (alongside Jamie Murphy) gave out the prizes at my boy's clubs awards night in 2009.

That night, in the 2001 age group with Jan Jnr, would've been a young defender who used to kick everyone and everything in sight (apparently). His name was Nicholas McAllister. 

So there you are. That's my Jamie Barclay related contribution for the night.

10 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I didn’t want to shame the guy by firing his pic up but aye, safe to say I was slightly taken aback when I saw it. Not exactly the type of physique you’d associate with an SPFL footballer. When it comes to a Jim Duffy signing nothing surprises me nowadays. 

He's no fatter than Mark Yardley was.

10 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Jamie Barclay (alongside Jamie Murphy) gave out the prizes at my boy's clubs awards night in 2009.

That night, in the 2001 age group with Jan Jnr, would've been a young defender who used to kick everyone and everything in sight (apparently). His name was Nicholas McAllister. 

So there you are. That's my Jamie Barclay related contribution for the night.

I thought you were like 25 or something? You have a kid who can legally buy alcohol? This has genuinely shocked me. I thought I knew who you were but now I'm like wtf