Sons' sorrow

1 hour ago, super-son said:

Forbes delivery had been shockingly bad up until we restarted after the break. It has improved massively since we started back, not just the Huntly game. However, I'm conflicted on whether or not he should be playing. One one hand, with how we are aging at the moment, he is probably our best chance of creating a goal from a set piece. On the other hand, do we drop him and try and create chances from open play, which we seem incapable of doing with or without him in the squad.

What we need now are players able and willing to take on the opposition in 1-v-1 situations, try to turn defenders and be general more direct. Forbes won’t give us that as he simply doesn’t have the pace anymore. Omar has shown that in glimpses. PJ and Frizzel are both capable but both have failed to meet expected standards this season.

3 hours ago, pleslie99 said:

I'm as critical as anyone towards the team and JDs tactics, but to single out 1 player for the goal yesterday is a bit poor. We were backs to the wall for the entire game, Omar had our best chance at a goal early in 2nd half. Had it not been for Ramsbottom then it could and probably wouldve been a few more. The Aberdeen goal was a good goal, Hendry got the ball out his feet quickly, shifted it wrong footing our defence and finished well. Think we are over critical saying it's anybodys fault.

After Ramsbottoms calamitous debut, hes done well since with 2? Motm awards, fair play to him. However, our good defence (which it is) doesn't hide the fact we can't score.......

I haven't seen anybody suggesting he was solely to blame for the goal we lost - and I certainly wasn't suggesting that either. Just simply that we got caught out in the lead up to the goal.

2 hours ago, super-son said:

Forbes delivery had been shockingly bad up until we restarted after the break. It has improved massively since we started back, not just the Huntly game. However, I'm conflicted on whether or not he should be playing. One one hand, with how we are aging at the moment, he is probably our best chance of creating a goal from a set piece. On the other hand, do we drop him and try and create chances from open play, which we seem incapable of doing with or without him in the squad.

I disagree, I think his set pieces have been dreadful overall. We can't have him in the team for 1 good cross a game. He hits about every free kick and corner and the majority are poorly hit. He has set his own high standards but he is nowhere near consistent enough. If any player hit all 10 set pieces every match then the chances are 1 would be decent...

22 hours ago, the snudge said:

Ramsbottom has more than made up for his error and nerves in his first match for us. He was good today and he's got some kick on him. With a little and large combo (nish/kane or lister/prunty) up top it could be a great weapon. 

No he hasn't. That four point swing could be what relegates us.

6 minutes ago, rockson said:

Well that is true. But you could equally blame Jaime Wilson for missing a sitter up at Peterhead in our 1-0 defeat for a points swing in their favour. Ryan McGeever for losing Anton Dowds in our 1-1 with Falkirk or for letting Ben Armour onto his right against Peterhead at home in our 1-0 loss.  Ross Forbes missed a sitter at the end of that Forfar game, so he can be blamed too.

Players make mistakes. Ramsbottom made a bad one in a big game, but his response has been first class. If we get relegated it won't be because of that mistake. It will be because we haven't been good enough over the course of 18/22 games to stay up.

7 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

If we get relegated it won't be because of that mistake. It will be because we haven't been good enough over the course of 18/22 games to stay up.

Of course. But that was the most important game for us  in the whole restart. We desperately needed not to lose it.

How much encouragement did Forfar derive from their three points against us?

And if it hadn't been for that mistake we would be above Clyde on goal difference.

Mind you we can't score.  Will five nil-nils do us?

I'm not quite sure that PJ can "...meet expected standards..." if the Manager refuses to give him the opportunity to get a decent amount of minutes on the pitch [emoji1745]

What we need now are players able and willing to take on the opposition in 1-v-1 situations, try to turn defenders and be general more direct. Forbes won’t give us that as he simply doesn’t have the pace anymore. Omar has shown that in glimpses. PJ and Frizzel are both capable but both have failed to meet expected standards this season.

2 hours ago, rockson said:

No. Being an absolute gang of shite over the course of the season will be what relegates us, not a singular error from one player. If you’re looking for one person to blame look no further than the guy who has got us into this mess. That guy is not Sam Ramsbottom.

7 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

No. Being an absolute gang of shite over the course of the season will be what relegates us, not a singular error from one player. If you’re looking for one person to blame look no further than the guy who has got us into this mess. That guy is not Sam Ramsbottom.

Spot on. This is Duffys doing, not Ramsbottom or anyone else's. Sam has played 3? League games for us, he can't be held responsible for our situation, that theory is laughable.

13 hours ago, rockson said:

The pathetic tactics and negativity from the gaffer could be what relegates us. Not scoring enough goals could be what relegates us. 6 league goals is not good enough.

What seems to be becoming increasingly clear with Ramsbottom is that he's actually a pretty good shot-stopper who's been at his best when our goal is under heavy bombardment. His save from Ferguson's header on Saturday was borderline miraculous.

The worry though is with his concentration when he's less busy. The mistake against Forfar is an abomination and has cost us the game. Likewise he might have done better in the cross that's lead to Airdrie's goal. Unfortunately in a league of tght margins, where we're seemingly incapable of creating chances, these mistakes are going to be shown up even more than they might have otherwise.

I don't think we'll ever be completely comfortable with Sam in goal. For every 4 or 5 terrific saves there's likely to be a match-losing clanger to follow. But you could say that about a fair number of Dumbarton goalkeepers over the years.

Edited by George Parr

11 hours ago, TheChase said:

I'm not quite sure that PJ can "...meet expected standards..." if the Manager refuses to give him the opportunity to get a decent amount of minutes on the pitch emoji1745.png

What constitutes a “decent amount of minutes”? He’s not starting games either because he’s not at the required level of fitness (noting injury problems out with his control) or because he’s not showing enough in training, or most likely a combination of both.

Full 90 against Falkirk and the best part of 30mins against Peterhead, Forfar and Airdrie. Enough time to make an impact, no? In all of those I’m struggling to recall anything of note from PJ. So despite the limited time on the pitch, the time he has has has been below the expected standard. He’s not alone.

3 minutes ago, Jordo1872 said:

What constitutes a “decent amount of minutes”? He’s not starting games either because he’s not at the required level of fitness (noting injury problems out with his control) or because he’s not showing enough in training, or most likely a combination of both.

Full 90 against Falkirk and the best part of 30mins against Peterhead, Forfar and Airdrie. Enough time to make an impact, no? In all of those I’m struggling to recall anything of note from PJ. So despite the limited time on the pitch, the time he has has has been below the expected standard. He’s not alone.

Frizzell starts every game and he's not kicked a ball since his debut. I feel PJ should've had more minutes since the restart.

It's utterly ridiculous to suggest that Ramsbottom is culpable for the situation we find ourselves in.  The league is a season long and he was nowhere near the dire performances at Methil, Peterhead and Broadwood to name but three.

If we go down, only the defence will earn pass marks.  Further forward has been a merry-go-round distinctly lacking in quality.  The reasons for that need examined and acted on.

59 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Frizzell starts every game and he's not kicked a ball since his debut. I feel PJ should've had more minutes since the restart.

Frizzell has been one of the biggest disappointments for me. He’s never quite reached the level of performance we seen on his debut. I’d drop him in favour of a Layne/Wilson front two with Omar in behind.

2 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

It's utterly ridiculous to suggest that Ramsbottom is culpable for the situation we find ourselves in.  The league is a season long and he was nowhere near the dire performances at Methil, Peterhead and Broadwood to name but three.

If we go down, only the defence will earn pass marks.  Further forward has been a merry-go-round distinctly lacking in quality.  The reasons for that need examined and acted on.

In terms of the league season, I thought the game at Methil was one of our better performances this season (not that there's been  a lot of competition), at least in terms of creating chances. Didn't we have about 3 "goals" chalked off? We haven't played at Broadwood in the league yet.

The social network side of things has been good this season. Whoever puts that together should get the sontrust special person of the year award. 

The winning signed jerseys, captions this and the a-z player content has been good. A wee bit of banter and humour thrown in aswell which wasn't there before.

4 hours ago, lionel wickson said:

In terms of the league season, I thought the game at Methil was one of our better performances this season (not that there's been  a lot of competition), at least in terms of creating chances. Didn't we have about 3 "goals" chalked off? We haven't played at Broadwood in the league yet.

I haven't a clue how I managed to transpose Links Park with Broadwood, but well picked up Lionel.  As for Methil, I thought we lost the game to a very mediocre East Fife team.

23 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I haven't a clue how I managed to transpose Links Park with Broadwood, but well picked up Lionel.  As for Methil, I thought we lost the game to a very mediocre East Fife team.

Yes, apart from the opening 5 minutes or so, that Montrose game was a shambles. I don't blame you for getting the venue wrong, when watching Sons on Pixellot this season one performance very much blends into another. Can we break the Groundhog Day cycle tomorrow night? Probably not.