Sons' sorrow

I emailed the club after reading Duffy's comments. He's chucked it and has no ideas, his position is therefore untenable. I'd like to board to clarify a few things, are they happy with what they're watching? Just how bad are our finances? Where were the board expecting to finish this season?

I tend to agree that we're probably going down regardless of who's in charge but continuing with Duffy is a death sentence. Someone else might be able to inspire a few passes and a shot on goal.

16 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I've felt that for far too long Jim Duffy has been trading on his reputation, but the unpleasant truth is probably that whether he goes now or at the season's end we are going down.  If we finish 10th it's automatic, if we are 9th I see hee-haw to suggest that we could overcome the Play-Off opposition.

I feel really sorry for all the young loanees who have joined a badly struggling club, they cannot be enjoying this and you do wonder about the exits of Dabrowski and Hamilton.

But whither the DFC Board in all of this ?  I've banged on about the lack of numbers on the Board and the lack of what I call 'football people', and both these aspects have now come into question.  Is anyone having the conversation with Jim Duffy, or are we maybe hoping for a miracle ?  Even worse, are we frightened to because that needs a Plan B ?

Presuming JD leaves at the season's end that will have to happen anyway.  Meantime it's going to be grim viewing for whatever games remain.  At least we get some money tomorrow.

Duffy has all but admitted he’s run out of ideas, the ideal scenario for us right now is Duffy leaving today and someone else coming in until at least the end of the season to see if they can keep us up. If they do, the job is theirs. There must be a few out of work managers out there who would fancy their chances, we aren’t exactly marooned at the bottom of the table, we may not have a great squad but they could be performing better. Off the top of my head I can think of Kevin Harper who seemed to have a decent reputation on a shoestring budget when he was at Albion Rovers, he’s just an example, there must be others out there who are just desperate for a job. At this stage we’d be better off rolling the dice and if it doesn’t work then at least we’ve tried.

Does anyone on the board have any contacts in the footballing world to pull off the above? I’m not remotely convinced they do. I fear our only option will be - Duffy leaves, applications come in, we pick a successor from one of the applicants. That’s a fairly standard process but at this stage of a shortened season we don’t have time to do that so the only alternative would be a quick, short term appointment which I don’t think our current board could pull off.

Edited by Bring Back Paddy Flannery

On 29/03/2021 at 13:07, Jan Vojáček said:

Just a wee bit more stats digging.

We've had 27 shots on target in our 11 league games this season (4,4,4,1,3,1,0,4,4,2,0,3,0) and have scored six goals. Obviously one of them was an own goal, so that means 30 shots on target = five goals, a shots to goals ratio of 1 goal for every 6 shots on target we have.

We're currently averaging 2.31 shots on target a game. 

Updated after the Falkirk and Airdrie games.

2 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Updated after the Falkirk and Airdrie games.

Five shots on target in our last four games (zero in two of those games, at home) is an absolutely wild stat. If the board aren’t seriously considering Duffy’s position they, much like Jim Duffy, are not fit for purpose I’m afraid.

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

I emailed the club after reading Duffy's comments. He's chucked it and has no ideas, his position is therefore untenable. I'd like to board to clarify a few things, are they happy with what they're watching? Just how bad are our finances? Where were the board expecting to finish this season?

I tend to agree that we're probably going down regardless of who's in charge but continuing with Duffy is a death sentence. Someone else might be able to inspire a few passes and a shot on goal.

At Broadwood, we suffered in the same way with many managers, excluding, curiously,  Mr Duffy. A board member claimed we had 'the finest young manager in the country' but prior to his installation at Kelty, I believe BF would pace the floor during the night, unable to find a way to change things as he only had 2 nights a week to change things. 

I think most managers have a shelf life.  Some at our level, can defer that decline but even pretty effective operators including McCall, D Campbell, Lambie and maybe Duffy run out of road.

The dichotomy for the club is to change the squad OR the manager. 

My impression of Duffy at Clyde and in general is that he doesn’t show any enthusiasm or in any way try to get any connection with the fans. Just seems to come in and do bare minimum as if he really doesn’t want to be there or thinks he should be at a bigger club, it’s probably not the case but terrible to watch as is the product he puts on the park, I hated the time he was with us, even though he got to playoff, even managed to make that a hard slog.

4 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I've felt that for far too long Jim Duffy has been trading on his reputation, but the unpleasant truth is probably that whether he goes now or at the season's end we are going down.  If we finish 10th it's automatic, if we are 9th I see hee-haw to suggest that we could overcome the Play-Off opposition.

I feel really sorry for all the young loanees who have joined a badly struggling club, they cannot be enjoying this and you do wonder about the exits of Dabrowski and Hamilton.

But whither the DFC Board in all of this ?  I've banged on about the lack of numbers on the Board and the lack of what I call 'football people', and both these aspects have now come into question.  Is anyone having the conversation with Jim Duffy, or are we maybe hoping for a miracle ?  Even worse, are we frightened to because that needs a Plan B ?

Presuming JD leaves at the season's end that will have to happen anyway.  Meantime it's going to be grim viewing for whatever games remain.  At least we get some money tomorrow.

The board aren't going to go public with any concerns they have. I'd hope that in private they've absolutely gone through Duffy. I'd hope that after he's admitted that he's out of ideas then somebody from the board has been in touch with him and asked him if he wants to walk? Depending on the content of that discussion, it shouldn't solely be within Duffy's control. Sadly those hopes aren't strong and I don't have confidence that the current DFC board will be having that frank conversation with our manager. I like our chairman. I think he's a decent man. I don't think he's the kind of man who will have that difficult conversation with Duffy. I certainly don't think he'll initiate it. And if nobody on the board is able to have that difficult conversation with Duffy then we deserve to go down because our board will have done nothing to try and change things when we're clearly in serious decline. I don't believe that the board will be happy with the prospects facing us and will have huge concerns about the strong chance of relegation. Sadly if they're not able to challenge our manager on his utterly woeful performance then they're currently making a bad situation worse.

1 hour ago, FREDDYFRY said:

My impression of Duffy at Clyde and in general is that he doesn’t show any enthusiasm or in any way try to get any connection with the fans.

He has been very similar in his time with us. Before the whole lockdown situation he didn’t attend a single charity night or poty night. I have no doubt he is a decent guy away from the football side of things but he just isn’t interested in fan engagement, unlike the 2 managers before him who held numerous meet the manager sessions and attending as many fan events/poty nights as they could. Even Duffy’s press game is just completely dull as hell, it’s never anything exciting about new signings and he’s always reminding us how tough things will be/how tired the players are/how much they are trying. Fan engagement isn’t what I rate a manager on, far from it actually, but it’s nice to see them show at least a shred of interest in the supporters or at the very, very least make time for the player of the year awards do. 

The above however isn’t the main issue, it’s just a tiny part of the problem and something that’s led to me struggling to connect with the guy or wondering if he’s really that arsed about his job with us.

I like that a couple folk have emailed the board and I will do that also. Maybe if our voices are heard something will be done. It may well be too late. Duffy should go, he is plummeting us towards the bottom tier, where we have been before but now there's a trapdoor sitting at the bottom! 

I think we should be replacing Duffy short term with someone who can try get us out of it then see where we stand come the end of the season. Plenty would fancy coming in with a shot at the gig if they kept us up.

As I said before, I dont care what style of football we play, as long as it gets the job done. Duffy's style is crap and we don't get any shots on goal let alone a goal.

Aberdeen is a bit if a free hit, but it will shoe the country how crap we are.

I’d be surprised if there hasn’t been a frank discussion between the board and the manager. The stats speak for themselves and it should be pretty easy to lay those out in front of Duffy and ask for his thoughts on turning things round. If that doesn’t get the required response the conversation naturally moves to the manager walking.

I think we’re now seeing the impact of Alan F’s departure. They guy did a sterling job against a lot of unfair criticism but it’s left a huge hole behind the scenes that I don’t think has been filled.

I was prepared after the Forfar game to give Duffy to the end of the season. I expected a response against Peterhead, then again against Airdrie. It’s not happened and we’re now at a stage where it’s unlikely to happen. 0pts from 9 against three bottom half teams tells its own story.

Tomorrow is a free hit and nothing else. I just hope we can get through it without embarrassment televised to the nation. 

1 hour ago, super-son said:
2 hours ago, the snudge said:
He's preparing well for our game against Aberdeen tomorrow by appearing on Clyde 1 tonight. 

We don't pay him to work the full week.

We pay him to win football matches.