Sons' sorrow

The blame for our mess lies firmly at the door of Duffy. Ok the owners havnt done anything and havnt given any money but they havnt for years so it's no surprise or any different to what previous managers had to work with. I know we are skint but I dont buy into the fact our budget will be hugely less than other L1 and L2 clubs who are managing to sign guys who may well make a difference to their squads. We've all spouted names on here about players in WoS and LL level who we think would come in and do a job. Seems to be Duffy just wants has beens, guys down on their luck or ex - Morton rejects.

The players signed are down to Duffy, the syle of football is down to Duffy, the fact we are going to get relegated is solely down to Duffy!

2 minutes ago, pleslie99 said:

The blame for our mess lies firmly at the door of Duffy. Ok the owners havnt done anything and havnt given any money but they havnt for years so it's no surprise or any different to what previous managers had to work with. I know we are skint but I dont buy into the fact our budget will be hugely less than other L1 and L2 clubs who are managing to sign guys who may well make a difference to their squads. We've all spouted names on here about players in WoS and LL level who we think would come in and do a job. Seems to be Duffy just wants has beens, guys down on their luck or ex - Morton rejects.

The players signed are down to Duffy, the syle of football is down to Duffy, the fact we are going to get relegated is solely down to Duffy!

The other thing I would say on budget chat is to take a look at Montrose. They don't have a squad jam-packed with big names but they are light-years beyond us - both in terms of results and their style of play.

3 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

The other thing I would say on budget chat is to take a look at Montrose. They don't have a squad jam-packed with big names but they are light-years beyond us - both in terms of results and their style of play.

And yet failed to put away Clyde at home yesterday.

One of the points that makes me reluctant to join the 'we're definitely doon and that's a fact' shouts is the negligible difference in quality between the teams in the lower half of League 1. There ain't much in it and whilst we're obviously struggling (significantly) in terms of creativity I'd note we're not adrift at the foot and getting pumped every week. 

It's bleak but it's not a foregone conclusion.

Is Duffy really all that bothered? He is at the end of his managerial career and is maybe more interested in his media appearances. Time for him to go but who do we get instead? Anyone coming in has to work with the flotsam and jetsam Duffy has gathered, no easy task.

Thing is, our defence is pretty good despite the goalkeeper situation. We need someone who can simply get us scoring a few more. We have plenty pace in the side now and if we played the right way we could cause problems. Duffy says he wanted the players to get the ball down and play but he played a centre back in midfield who clearly has no experience of playing creative passes, when someone like that plays next to Carswell you create nothing. Why not use Brindley in his actual position? Rather than simply just playing McAllister out of position at left back (which he done against Huntly) he moved a second player out of a position we need creativity, then wonders why we aren't getting the ball down. Its things like that about Duffy that baffle me.

Just a wee bit more stats digging.

We've had 27 shots on target in our 11 league games this season (4,4,4,1,3,1,0,4,4,2,0) and have scored five goals. Obviously one of them was an own goal, so that means 27 shots = 4 goals, a shots to goals ratio of 1 goal for every 6.75 shots we have.

We're currently averaging 2.45 shots on target a game. 

7 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Just a wee bit more stats digging.

We've had 27 shots on target in our 11 league games this season (4,4,4,1,3,1,0,4,4,2,0) and have scored five goals. Obviously one of them was an own goal, so that means 27 shots = 4 goals, a shots to goals ratio of 1 goal for every 6.75 shots we have.

We're currently averaging 2.45 shots on target a game. 

I've given you a greenie Jan as I'm impressed and depressed in equal measure.  And following on from the Moonster's valid observation on the defence above,  I think we need to consider just what is behind this abysmal stat at the other end of the pitch.  And you know what, IMO it has relatively little to do with the attackers selected and just about the everything to do with a midfield which cannot win, take and/or retain possession, deliver incisive passes, get into supporting forward positions or dominate opponents, Huntly excepted.

Young Wallace was on the park for ten minutes on Saturday before he was joining Wilson, Jones, Johnstone, Crossan et al in tracking back to halfway to try and get on the ball.  At one point he was in the left-back position.  Welcome to Dumbarton James.

I don't think Layne is a better option up front than Wilson. He can't get a game for Peterhead. Is he really what we need? Is he going to do well with big lumps up the park?

I dont think a front 3 of Crossan, Wilson and Frizzell would be terrible and of those 3 I'd reckon that Frizzell is the player I'd be looking to replace. The bigger problem for me is that we don't play through midfield. We play long balls that our forwards aren't suited to working with. If we were playing balls into feet then we'd play to our forwards' strength. 

31 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

I don't think Layne is a better option up front than Wilson. He can't get a game for Peterhead. Is he really what we need? Is he going to do well with big lumps up the park?

Layne is a different option to Wilson. He's bigger, stronger and holds the ball up much more. I'd say he's far more suited to lumps up the park than Wilson is.

This is a good signing IMO - Duffy got the best out of him and if Isaac is bored of sitting on the bench he should be raring to go for us. My one criticism is that perhaps Duffy should've done more to keep him in the summer. 

Crossan and Frizzell have both offered us nothing so far this season. I appreciate that Crossan has been injured for much of it, but Frizzell has been a huge disappointment. If we can find a way of playing Layne and Wilson up front with Wallace in behind them we might create a bit more.