Sons' sorrow

Just now, optimistic said:

Duffy out now

I don't think we can punt him now. Barry Smith taking over would be no better. We'd need somebody to come in at short notice as a favour.

But I have no confidence that Duffy will keep us up. We're lucky that Forfar look worse than we do. If neither of us wins another game this season then we likely finish 9th because Clyde would finish above us. Would Duffy keep us up in a play-off?

This is miserable. Absolutely miserable. There's little to give us even a shred of hope. Games are a difficult watch these days.

4 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

I don't think we can punt him now. Barry Smith taking over would be no better. We'd need somebody to come in at short notice as a favour.

But I have no confidence that Duffy will keep us up. We're lucky that Forfar look worse than we do. If neither of us wins another game this season then we likely finish 9th because Clyde would finish above us. Would Duffy keep us up in a play-off?

This is miserable. Absolutely miserable. There's little to give us even a shred of hope. Games are a difficult watch these days.

No chance. Playoffs would mean relegation.

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

TTG Jim.

It is beyond painful, but I'm past anger; it's just awful to see your club decline like this.  As regards Jim Duffy and Barry Smith , I'm not sure if they should be criticised or thanked for persevering - seriously.  But you do really wonder what they get out of it.  

At any rate I don't intend to watch very much more to the end of the season, it's just unremittingly grim viewing.  Kudos to the commentators for remaining polite and upbeat, you deserve our respect.

Just now, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I’ve got to the stage where I’d rather we brought in anyone that continued serving up the absolute pish served by Duffy. Will the bord actually act though? Not a fucking chance.

Brian Broon til the end of the season. Wouldn't be any worse.

One for @Jan Vojáček maybe but how do our results under Duffy with Hagi as an assistant compare to results with Smith as an assistant?

Much as we may want Duffy gone, who would willingly walk into a situation where they’re taking on a group of players they haven’t worked with and have no chance to train with them as we’re playing every second day?

On 29/12/2020 at 10:08, Jan Vojáček said:

I was writing up my review of the year for the paper the other day and totally forgot that it was this year that Barry Smith came in for Hagi.

Given the impact that changing assistant had on Ian Murray and Stevie Aitken, I wondered how Hagi's stats compared to Barry Smith's - and there's been a clear difference.

Now before I go on I should say that, in Smith's defence, his 20 games have included two against Falkirk, one against Dunfermline and one against Kilmarnock. In Hagi's defence, his goals against ratio includes 6-1 and 6-0 defeats to Morton and Falkirk respectively.

But here we go:

Craig McPherson as assistant

Played - 55
Won - 20 (36.4%)
Drawn - 12 (21.82%)
Scored - 83 (1.5 per game)
Conceded - 93 (1.69 per game)

Barry Smith as assistant

Played - 20
Won - 6 (30%)
Drawn - 3 (15%)
Lost - 11 (55%)
Scored - 14 (0.7 per game)
Conceded - 28 (1.4 per game)

A few things really stood out to me there. Firstly since Smith came in we now score (on average) half the number of goals of our opponents. We also now lose more than half of our games.

Under Hagi we both won and drew more matches - e/g avoided defeat more often. And based on the numbers that looks to be because we had a better balance between scoring and conceding. Now we're defensively more solid, but at a cost to our forward line.

Now. Another caveat. Hagi's stats of course include having Dom Thomas, Calum Gallagher, peak Ross Forbes and Bobby Barr. So the side that he came in to had more attacking talent than the team Smith inherited. Of course therefore his stats will be better.

I quickly deleted that first season though and looked only at last year until Hagi left. With Ryan Tierney, Isaac Layne and so on, we still managed to average 1.21 goals per game. With the same squad in seven games last season under Smith and Duffy we scored seven goals. Although we did win three of those.

I'm not sure you can read anything into all of the above. But the stats told a story that we already knew. We're blunt going forward and, although relatively tight at the back, if you aren't scoring every single week then you'll lose more games than you win. 

11 minutes ago, GordyBrow said:

One for @Jan Vojáček maybe but how do our results under Duffy with Hagi as an assistant compare to results with Smith as an assistant?

Much as we may want Duffy gone, who would willingly walk into a situation where they’re taking on a group of players they haven’t worked with and have no chance to train with them as we’re playing every second day?

There we go. Obviously we've played three games since then. But that won't have changed things much.

Today was bad. Really bad. I'm just glad I had Rico for company because his chat was about the only highlight.

25 minutes ago, optimistic said:

I’ve stirred the pot over on Facebook, and one guy in particular asks who would I replace Duffy with.

Who would be a breath of fresh air?

Can we afford to sack Duffy?

It'd be the perfect job for someone like Wullie Gibson who has been doing his badges and taking qots reserves. 

20 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

There we go. Obviously we've played three games since then. But that won't have changed things much.

Today was bad. Really bad. I'm just glad I had Rico for company because his chat was about the only highlight.

Thanks, I must have dimly remembered that you’d posted something along these lines in the past.

The fall off in goals scored makes for really grim reading. It passes the eye test too, we’ve been woeful going forwards for a long time now.