Sons' sorrow

Shocked as you may be to be signing Morton players, the biggest shock here is that James Wallace exists.

Omar could argue to be hard done by in that he's supposedly a play anywhere behind the striker type and never played anywhere behind the striker because Hopkin built a squad with 10 of them, so his only appearances for us were as a holding midfielder, right wing back or right back. Perhaps no surprise considering that, but even accounting for being out of position he looked lightyears out of his depth in the Championship. The highlight was being sent off for two bookings after 28 minutes v ICT.

Wallace was yet another in the anywhere behind the striker mould. Not having the baseless reputation for versatility or physique to be launched into defence by the only manager in Scotland with a greater love for shoehorning players out of position than Duffy, Wallace was only going to able to play in his actual position. Therefore he literally didn't play a single minute in the league because we have so many fucking attacking players. He made two sub appearances in the League Cup and that was it.

Meanwhile we spent half the season with only one goalkeeper, hearing the club plead poverty about not being able to afford one.

Some laugh if Wallace turns out to be brilliant after all this.

On 17/03/2021 at 09:08, Jan Vojáček said:

Look at our squad.

Blues is the invisible man and a centre-mid, so is the last thing we really need. But Omar, Orsi and Salkeld would probably stroll into our starting lineup. Wallace doesn't appear to exist, so he'd probably fill the space vacated by Donald Morrison quite well too.

Let's see then!

He's been a manager for 32 years and his scouting network is literally "seeing who isnae needed at Morton". The c**t's either not trying or he's pish at his job. Hopefully both of these guys dropping a level is what they need but it's yet again two utterly uninspiring signings. I feel for the folk running the twitter having to try and build some excitement for this shit. 

5 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Shocked as you may be to be signing Morton players, the biggest shock here is that James Wallace exists.

The thing I don’t understand about this is at what point will any of our coaching staff or manager of had a chance to watch this guy in action? He’s barely played any football before he joined Morton and clearly hasn’t played any after joining. I can only assume Gus McPherson has managed to offload a wage by telling Duffy he’s worth a punt and that lazy b*****d has just said aye.

16 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

The thing I don’t understand about this is at what point will any of our coaching staff or manager of had a chance to watch this guy in action? He’s barely played any football before he joined Morton and clearly hasn’t played any after joining. I can only assume Gus McPherson has managed to offload a wage by telling Duffy he’s worth a punt and that lazy b*****d has just said aye.

He did play against you in a pre-season friendly when he was on trial with us, but your point stands.

I don't know if it was mentioned on here, but Gus McPherson confirmed that Jim Duffy tried to take Gary Oliver on loan last week, but was knocked back. Bit of a riddy to then end up with our cast offs instead, both of whom were actually left out of the matchday squad on Tuesday night, which contained a few younger players who haven't played at all this season.

3 hours ago, FifeSons said:

Ah yeah, that rings a bell.

I have to admit I have lost patience with the apparent laziness of Duffy's signings.

I can't excuse Ally Love's behaviour and I'd have sacked him on the spot (it was his debut as well). There's more to it than that as well though; Omar nearly broke one of our players in half with a stamped tackle 6 months later for which he was sent off. He had a complete meltdown in the next game after giving away a penalty and free-kick which both led to goals. Then his reaction to a win over us later in the year was to storm 60 yards straight over to the Clyde fans (who had admittedly been giving him stick and were accused of singing Ally Love's name) and celebrate in faces, before referring to us as "the scum of the Earth" post match. All a bit of a mess to be honest.

I thought he was a decent League 2 player. He would have been a better signing for Clyde than Tony Wallace/Chris Johnston, albeit never going to happen.

12 minutes ago, David W said:

I can't excuse Ally Love's behaviour and I'd have sacked him on the spot (it was his debut as well). There's more to it than that as well though; Omar nearly broke one of our players in half with a stamped tackle 6 months later for which he was sent off. He had a complete meltdown in the next game after giving away a penalty and free-kick which both led to goals. Then his reaction to a win over us later in the year was to storm 60 yards straight over to the Clyde fans (who had admittedly been giving him stick and were accused of singing Ally Love's name) and celebrate in faces, before referring to us as "the scum of the Earth" post match. All a bit of a mess to be honest.

I thought he was a decent League 2 player. He would have been a better signing for Clyde than Tony Wallace/Chris Johnston, albeit never going to happen.

That's the kind of thing you love to see. Other than the comment, perhaps.

4 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

The single most significant contribution Jim Duffy has made to Greenock Morton Football Club is getting Omar the f**k away from playing another minute this season (and hopefully ever). Absolutely delighted with that.

As for Wallace - he played in the pre-season friendly for us against you as mentioned above and according to the one Morton fan who travelled over to watch through the fence, he changed the game when he came on. We signed him off the back of it and  said fan was delighted. We then mothballed him due to signing an entire team of similar position players.

17 minutes ago, David W said:

Then his reaction to a win over us later in the year was to storm 60 yards straight over to the Clyde fans (who had admittedly been giving him stick and were accused of singing Ally Love's name) and celebrate in faces, before referring to us as "the scum of the Earth" post match. All a bit of a mess to be honest.

I am fully on board with this sort of thing from Omar. Fair play to him, I’d probably be the same if I was racially abused and heard the crowd singing the abuser’s name.