Sons' sorrow

7 hours ago, optimistic said:

Who was the trialist today?

Paddy flannery for manager???

Folk were wanting Flannery as manager last time we had a vacancy (and probably before that too but I cant remember). Other than him being a club legend what would he bring? It's not as if he's a recently retired player looking to make the move into management. He's been out the game for a while, with very little management experience, barring a couple stints at Junior level with limited success. There's probably a reason he hasn't picked up a decent gig before now. 

I'd much rather we were going for someone in a similar mould to Ian Murray when we picked him up. A left field suggestion, but Mick Kennedy at Darvel would be a shout. Very ambitious, very successful at the levels he's been at and has excellent connections.

Folk were wanting Flannery as manager last time we had a vacancy (and probably before that too but I cant remember). Other than him being a club legend what would he bring? It's not as if he's a recently retired player looking to make the move into management. He's been out the game for a while, with very little management experience, barring a couple stints at Junior level with limited success. There's probably a reason he hasn't picked up a decent gig before now. 
I'd much rather we were going for someone in a similar mould to Ian Murray when we picked him up. A left field suggestion, but Mick Kennedy at Darvel would be a shout. Very ambitious, very successful at the levels he's been at and has excellent connections.
There are a number of people who could do a better job than Flannery. There are also a number of people who could do a better job than Duffy.

Yeah I think it suggests a simplistic point of thought to believe a club legend will be a good manager too. Hopefully Duffy will be gone soon but when identifying a new target I’d hope interviews would involve questions about planned playing philosophy - I’m not expecting perfect vertical tika-taka but at least someone with a clear vision and style.

Unfortunately I’m unsure if our board will do that.

1 hour ago, cameron2000 said:

Yeah I think it suggests a simplistic point of thought to believe a club legend will be a good manager too. Hopefully Duffy will be gone soon but when identifying a new target I’d hope interviews would involve questions about planned playing philosophy - I’m not expecting perfect vertical tika-taka but at least someone with a clear vision and style.

Unfortunately I’m unsure if our board will do that.

I genuinely don't care about playing style, we can play long balls up to a target man all day, for all I care, as long as its effective and gets the desired result. Too many people are caught up on tika taka football and think its the only way to play! I personally get bored watching the EPL and that all day. Unfortunately under Duffy we don't seem to have a playing style except launch it and hope! It's neither good to watch or effective at getting the result! 

We have scored five league goals this season. Of those five Jaime Wilson has scored two and set up two.

Yesterday, a goal down against the team at the bottom of the league, he was hooked and we ended up punting big Ryan McGeever up top for the final five minutes. Wilson's only played 64 percent of league minutes this season - yet has been involved in 80 percent of our goals. And has spent a fair whack of time out wide where he clearly isn't comfortable.

We clearly lack quality in attack, but we're also not making the most of what we have.

Not good enough yesterday, a theme that seems all too familiar under Duffy. 

Duffy came in and done an good job with the squad Aitken assembled but since then it’s been poor. We’ve looked uninspired on the park, little to no game plan, we play with no width and the recruitment has been lazy.

Duffy has rightly earned a good reputation in Scottish football, but the signings we’ve made beg the question of whether Jim actually knows what sort of ability is required for this level. I understand the financial restrictions we’re faced with but I look at teams round about us and teams below us bringing in players that would add quality to our squad and I find it hard to believe we can’t match their offers.

FWIW Ramsbottom wasn’t Duffy’s 1st choice, I believe we looked at one or two other keepers before Ramsbottom.

In short, my patience has ran out with Duffy. If we can’t part ways now, we should at least be looking ahead to a replacement in the summer. I really don’t want another summer of humming and hawing and ending up throwing a squad together last minute.

I’m not saying paddy would be the ideal replacement, just that it was joked about on the Facebook page.

What I’d love, is to get a manager, that players would walk over hot coals to play for, being able to attract decent players to the club, and clubs want to send their loanees to us.

If they have quality, results will come.

4-4-2 two wingers, two strikers, best way for me

We have scored five league goals this season. Of those five Jaime Wilson has scored two and set up two.
Yesterday, a goal down against the team at the bottom of the league, he was hooked and we ended up punting big Ryan McGeever up top for the final five minutes. Wilson's only played 64 percent of league minutes this season - yet has been involved in 80 percent of our goals. And has spent a fair whack of time out wide where he clearly isn't comfortable.
We clearly lack quality in attack, but we're also not making the most of what we have.
Isn't it a regular feature that the manager rarely gives him the full 90, or am I just imagining that?

32 minutes ago, lionel wickson said:
2 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Isn't it a regular feature that the manager rarely gives him the full 90, or am I just imagining that?

He's only completed 90 minutes twice in the league this season, so nope you aren't imaging it! That was the 2-1 defeat to East Fife and the 3-0 loss to Falkirk 

On 18/03/2021 at 08:05, sonsanorak said:

The Duffy kicking is getting a bit boring now guys, hopefully we get a good game on saturday and it cheers us all up.

I think Aitken had a much easier job attracting players and yet he still made some poor decisions. He would have had more money, a higher league and bigger teams to play against.

I dont know what Duffys budget is, but I guess he's shopping where he can. I think East Fife signed 3 kids on loan before Nathan Austin, perhaps they've put all their available money into that one signing?

Remind us, how did that one work out ?

On 16/03/2021 at 20:22, Jan Vojáček said:

I'd be willing to give Ramsbottom a chance. As I said it isn't an area we're blessed in and plenty of Morton rejects have gone on to be decent enough players for us.

His arrival would see us tick off Conor Brennan, Jamie McGowan and *shudder* Grant Adam as former Morton number twos who we've signed in recent times. There's an illustrious list for you.

Don't know what we'll do next season given Morton are now infamous for not sticking a keeper on the bench.

1 hour ago, Turnberry Fields Forever said:

1 hour ago, Turnberry Fields Forever said:

Well obviously it didn’t work out but neither statement was particularly unreasonable or controversial pre-match.

20 minutes ago, George Parr said:

Well obviously it didn’t work out but neither statement was particularly unreasonable or controversial pre-match.

The statement about R****ottom was clearly beyond controversial and totally unreasonable (no offence) pre-match... I’m guessing every Morton supporter on here was telling you in advance not just that he ‘wasn’t very good’, but that he’s so bad he should be nowhere near professional football. If you think his kicking is bad, wait till you get a load of his weird habit of turning away from the ball just as he’s about to ‘catch’ it.

I’ve got a lot of time for Duffy, for all sorts of reasons, but that signing alone is a sacking offence, clear evidence he’s lost the plot.

If he plays for the remainder of the season, you’ll go down.

22 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

The statement about R****ottom was clearly beyond controversial and totally unreasonable (no offence) pre-match... I’m guessing every Morton supporter on here was telling you in advance not just that he ‘wasn’t very good’, but that he’s so bad he should be nowhere near professional football. If you think his kicking is bad, wait till you get a load of his weird habit of turning away from the ball just as he’s about to ‘catch’ it.

I’ve got a lot of time for Duffy, for all sorts of reasons, but that signing alone is a sacking offence, clear evidence he’s lost the plot.

If he plays for the remainder of the season, you’ll go down.

Given yesterday's performance we'll go down even if he doesn't.