Sons' sorrow

Spoke to Jim before the fixture announcement, but here he is calling on fans to be patient with players on the return - clicky.
Plz click lots of times on the article so I have enough coins to buy some corn tonight.
The levels of fitness in the squad are a legitimate concern for all Managers of all part-time clubs. The levels of ability and the number of players within the squad however are directly within the Manager's sphere of influence. On that there appeared to be no comment.

There is no doubt this will be a test for all the teams especially the part time ones. I’m prepared to wait till after tomorrow’s game to make judgement. We might be a thin squad but a lot of the names I’ve seen I believe are past this level so why sign them. Hopefully a positive start tomorrow 

2 hours ago, cedrick1 said:

There is no doubt this will be a test for all the teams especially the part time ones. I’m prepared to wait till after tomorrow’s game to make judgement. We might be a thin squad but a lot of the names I’ve seen I believe are past this level so why sign them. Hopefully a positive start tomorrow 

I can’t say I’m fully up to speed with the signings across the full division but I’ve seen a couple in recent days who would absolutely waltz into our starting 11 in the shape of Turner and Austin. I can think of a few others playing at Lowland League level who would be in the same boat (what is Dylan Easton or Thomas Reilly up to these days?) What signings do you think are past it at this level?

26 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

A defender in on loan from St Mirren. Anyone know if he’s any good out on the wing?

This is a huge frustration with Duffy and his transfer dealings. We can all see where the squad needs strengthened/reinforcements. Duffy seems to just sign anyone he likes regardless of position. 

37 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

A defender in on loan from St Mirren. Anyone know if he’s any good out on the wing?

According to transfermrkt, he can also plat at right back so Duffy will probably play him at left mid. Not even joking.

I don't disagree that we needed another centre-half. Carsy struggled there big time against Montrose and we had to play Sam there earlier in the season, so if McGeever/Neill got injured or suspended then we needed someone else who could come in. 

At the moment though the squad is clearly screaming out for someone to add a bit of quality in attack.  I'm praying that Duffy will add players to replace Johnstone and Reilly who - whilst ineffective for the most part - were at least options.

As an aside though it was great to see PJ looking sharp in the video from training last night. He could be like a new signing.

2 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I don't disagree that we needed another centre-half. Carsy struggled there big time against Montrose and we had to play Sam there earlier in the season, so if McGeever/Neill got injured or suspended then we needed someone else who could come in. 

At the moment though the squad is clearly screaming out for someone to add a bit of quality in attack.  I'm praying that Duffy will add players to replace Johnstone and Reilly who - whilst ineffective for the most part - were at least options.

As an aside though it was great to see PJ looking sharp in the video from training last night. He could be like a new signing.

Carswell or Wedderburn might not be ideal playing centre half but we're apparently skint and need forward players and he's bringing in another defender. It's just the usual uninspiring pish from Duffy, we just need to hope we somehow pull through tomorrow. Defeat and we're in all kinds of bother.

On 18/03/2021 at 16:04, O'Kelly Isley III said:
On 18/03/2021 at 08:05, sonsanorak said:

There is no kicking going on, people are commenting forcibly on a situation which looks grim as the restart of the season fast approaches. I find it hard to dispute the majority of the recent posts - it seems the public are more engaged than the club right now.

Always pay attention to your posts , but can you say more ?

13 minutes ago, Always the Sons said:

Always pay attention to your posts , but can you say more ?

I can, but there is no ulterior motive.  I just think that there is a fair bit of trepidation within the support about where this season is headed, especially since the squad was looking light even before the second lockdown.  Until yesterday we were a further four players down and whilst we have now added two that trepidation remains.  I'm just not picking up any vibes that the Board and the Manager fully share our concerns. 

22 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I can, but there is no ulterior motive.  I just think that there is a fair bit of trepidation within the support about where this season is headed, especially since the squad was looking light even before the second lockdown.  Until yesterday we were a further four players down and whilst we have now added two that trepidation remains.  I'm just not picking up any vibes that the Board and the Manager fully share our concerns. 

The big problem for me is that the only 2 football people on the board are Colin Hosie and Stephanie Park. I think that there's a disconnect at board level and a lack of football experience. They're having to put a lot of trust in Duffy because he's the football guy. Are they challenging him robustly? Colin has been there and done it from a football administrative viewpoint so knows his stuff, but it's a small board of directors operating in difficult circumstances. I'm not convinced that there's the confidence to challenge Duffy. If Duffy was to wake up tomorrow, decide that he'd had enough and simply not turn up then realistically what would the board do? 

The board should be asking questions of Duffy. If they don't like the answers then they should be challenging him. Perhaps in normal circumstances he'd be under a bit more pressure, but right now I just don't think that the club board are confident enough with regards to Duffy. I think it's a case of fire fighting and whatever happens will happen. They'll deal with it if/when they have to in the summer but right now they're not going to go looking for confrontation.

I expect Duffy to be gone this summer. Probably by his own choice, but I wouldn't extend him that option. We need to get this season over and done with and start focusing on the football side of things. 

15 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Fair point. Though I'm sure the Board and Manager do share our concerns. I think we are all frustrated at how long it takes to get signings in place and i'm sure if you or I were on the board we would be pushing the manager hard for updates. From what I hear he is well connected so there must be more to it than lack of effort. Has he been unlucky with managerial changes when he had players lined up for loans ? With so many of our peer clubs going to the Lowland league to get loans maybe that's a signal about the lack of availability from the higher leagues ? 

With the Government funding; Anderson money; Fans support though Just Giving, Season Tickets, Lottery etc etc,  I can't believe funding is an issue. 

30 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

The big problem for me is that the only 2 football people on the board are Colin Hosie and Stephanie Park. 

I don’t know what Colin Hosie’s background is but Stephanie Park is considered one of the “football people” on the board? Isn’t she the Trust rep? She has about as much experience in the professional game as Donald Morrison, if she’s one of the football people on the board then we are in trouble.

13 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I don’t know what Colin Hosie’s background is but Stephanie Park is considered one of the “football people” on the board? Isn’t she the Trust rep? She has about as much experience in the professional game as Donald Morrison, if she’s one of the football people on the board then we are in trouble.

I'm thinking more from a football fan viewpoint. A game in, game out over the course of a long time fan. People who would hopefully be more willing to ask difficult questions of the manager.

There's no playing experience on the board.