Sons' sorrow

21 hours ago, pleslie99 said:

I actually saw Daz today out and about. He looked as if he would be a bit off the pace if we signed him up! Reckon if fit he would be ideal for us. Meggat and Kirkpatrick at Darvel would surely fancy a kick about now their season is done. Little at the Bankies another good shout. There are plenty out there. Just seems Duffy is too lazy to bother.

Meggat and Kirkpatrick just signed for Stirling Albion. 

15 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Disappointing.

They may no longer be the best of players, but right now they'd offer us bodies. At this rate we'll be going with what we've got on Saturday. Best hopes for a signing are a shite keeper and a guy coming back from a drugs ban. Thats a huge worry.

30 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

So all these guys are looking to get out and kick a ball and keep themselves ticking over. Come on to f**k Jim, this should be the easiest window ever to get bodies in with everyone below League 2 not playing! Surely we're not gonna miss out on all the decent players at that level and be stuck with some dobbers and a junkie!

https://www.dumbartonfootballclub.com/news/?mode=view&id=4797

THERE may be something that Dumbarton have the Covid-19 pandemic to thank for.

Not for the two lengthy suspensions of football which have meant almost the combined total of a year out of action.

And definitely not for the need for games to be played behind closed doors.

But if things had been ordinary, Sam Ramsbottom may not have been available to sign.

This is quite something.

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Sam Ramsbottom has been available to sign for almost a year has he not? What are we talking about?

He claims he had agreed to sign for a German side but it fell through due to Covid, presumably as it closed all the pubs...

Edited by RandomGuy.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

He claims he had agreed to sign for a German side but it fell through due to Covid, presumably as it closed all the pubs...

It's just utter shite. We signed a keeper in January and Ramsbottom was available. Desperation dressed up as a planned signing.

All these junior players would be on good pay I would guess. We know that the likes of EK and Darvel are being heavily supported just now. I would also guess that there might be incentives, such as sign on fees, for those players to sign with senior teams.

Reading between the lines and giving Duffy some credit, maybe we dont have much or any transfer kitty to trade with?

Out of interest, does anyone have a list of Duffy signings?

Define junkie please, that seems really unfair on the boy from what I've read.

So all these guys are looking to get out and kick a ball and keep themselves ticking over. Come on to f**k Jim, this should be the easiest window ever to get bodies in with everyone below League 2 not playing! Surely we're not gonna miss out on all the decent players at that level and be stuck with some dobbers and a junkie!

10 minutes ago, sonsanorak said:

All these junior players would be on good pay I would guess. We know that the likes of EK and Darvel are being heavily supported just now. I would also guess that there might be incentives, such as sign on fees, for those players to sign with senior teams.

Reading between the lines and giving Duffy some credit, maybe we dont have much or any transfer kitty to trade with?

I dragged this together just before Christmas. A few players might've changed category since then, but it'll give you a general idea.

On 21/12/2020 at 12:39, Jan Vojáček said:

That gave me an idea. With the help of the Sons Archive I thought I'd take a wee look at every player Duffy has signed and pop them into hit, miss or meh categories.

Hit

Henk van Schaik
David Ferguson
Brian McLean
Morgyn Neill
Isaac Layne
Rico Quitongo
PJ Crossan
Ryan McGeever
Joe McKee
Reghan Tumilty
Adam Frizzell

Kevin Dabrowski
Nat Wedderburn
Jaime Wilson
Sam Wardrop

Miss

Ben Armour (I didn't think he was bad, but he didn't play much or make a huge impact)
Boris Melingui
Conor Brennan (maybe a bit harsh, but he was meh)
Stefan McCluskey
Conor Scullion
Ryan Tierney
Jordan Pettigrew
Jordan McMillan
Mati Zata
Matthew Shiels
Callum Wilson
Robert Jones
Denny Johnstone
Donald Morrison
Returning Ross Forbes
Daniel Church

There's still time for Church, Forbes, Morrison, Johnstone and Jones to be fair. But that's an awful lot of signings that have either made no impact, or been worse than the player they replaced.

Meh

Chris Smith - Does what he does
Ruaridh Langan - It was a big season for him and he's currently heading towards the miss category.
Jai Quitongo - Never fit
Chris Hamilton - Needs games in a settled position
Matthew Reilly - Fast becoming the new Stevie Ross. He's just vanished with injury for months.

I think the strongest squad we've had under Duffy was the one at the end of 2018/19 that was mainly assembled by Aitken, with a few shrewd Duffy additions. Since then I think we've regressed a fair bit. Look at our 11 from the last day of the season at Arbroath in 2019:

Conor Brennan

David Ferguson Craig Barr Brian McLean Cammy Ballantyne

Ross Forbes Kyle Hutton Stuart Carswell Bobby Barr

Dom Thomas Calum Gallagher

Granted DT was far too good for this league and Carsy and Hutton had issues playing together, but that team had far more balance than where we are at the moment. In fact I'd probably only swap in Kevin and Wedderburn for Brennan and Carsy/Hutton from the side that started on Saturday I think. Maybe Wardrop too, but Ferguson was really steady for us and I liked him a lot.

32 minutes ago, sonsanorak said:

Define junkie please, that seems really unfair on the boy from what I've read.

28 minutes ago, George Parr said:

Yeah, that junkie line is way over the top.

Yeah ok, apologies, maybe junkie was the wrong choice of word. 

1 hour ago, sonsanorak said:

There’s certainly some budget there, he’s released players and we have received a fairly healthy sum of money in recent months. I don’t suspect we’re in a position to splash the cash but we absolutely should be in a position to offer a competitive wage for this level.

One of the main parts of Jim Duffy’s job is to convince players to sign for Dumbarton and play under him. At the minute he is failing miserably at doing so. I genuinely cannot believe we are going into this first game back with such a threadbare squad and lack of options. I sincerely hope the board are telling him it needs sorted pronto.

2 hours ago, sonsanorak said:

You do know that Darvel and EK are senior clubs?