Sons' sorrow

Just now, optimistic said:

Why aren’t we approaching players of decent quality, like Austin?

Is it really down to Duffy?

Or are we that poor?

Or are brabco refusing to back any deals, by matching the likes of east fife?

Brabco have not put a penny into the club for the past 13 years afaik, so a lack of support from them wouldn't be an unexpected issue.

Our budget won't be great. But I also don't imagine that the likes of Wedderburn, Wardrop, Forbes and even Rico (given he would've had full-time offers last season) will be on buttons. There will be plenty of players out there in development squads, Lowland League and WoSFL who will be desperate to kick a ball - and there will be deals to be done I reckon. But, in his transfer windows to date, Duffy has usually been fairly slow to act and doesn't often pull a big gun out the bag.

Aitken struggled to gel a squad and get the most out of players. But he was great at attracting them to the club and selling them on an idea. I reckon that's why the best we've been under Duffy was when he inherited Aitken's squad.

1 minute ago, optimistic said:

Why aren’t we approaching players of decent quality, like Austin?

Is it really down to Duffy?

Or are we that poor?

Or are brabco refusing to back any deals, by matching the likes of east fife?

Brabco have nothing to do with this.

We're not flush but we're not Lowland League poor. This is all on Duffy.

I think there are a few on here who agree with you

Someone with enthusiasm and a bit of attacking tactical awareness in the summer please DFC

Ian Murray? Paddy flannery?

Any other names we could throw into the mix?

1 minute ago, optimistic said:

I think there are a few on here who agree with you

Someone with enthusiasm and a bit of attacking tactical awareness in the summer please DFC

Ian Murray? Paddy flannery?

Any other names we could throw into the mix?

If Duffy leaves then I would be straight on the phone to Sir Andrew Graham to ask him if he fancied taking his first steps in management at the Rock.

He's a fantastic pro, has the respect of everyone he's ever played with and is a really intelligent guy. I think he'll be an excellent manager/coach and I'd love for him to start his journey with us.

Edited by Jan Vojáček

7 minutes ago, optimistic said:

Ian Murray?

I'd love to see the reaction if someone suggested Ian Murray had attacking tactical awareness in the Airdrie thread :lol: 

I can't say I know too much about the players Clyde and Peterhead have brought in but I still fancy Dumbarton to finish above Forfar and perhaps even Clyde, as the extra game in hand may not be as much help as usual given how many games are being crammed in. 

Is Chris Smith injured? I certainly don't think he's a great option and I'm aware it was probably a one-offbut based on performances he's been the best keeper I've seen in this league this season.

Not quite, we have a Board of Directors to whom the Manager reports, and whilst they can't be seen to be interfering they can be expected to closely liaise with the Manager on team performance as well as squad building and the financing of it.
My understanding is that this role is currently assigned to one Director who is the conduit on team matters. You'd like to think that both individuals will be deep in conversation this week......

The transfer windows used to be one of, if not the most exciting part of the season for me but in recent seasons it’s become a long, drawn out, predictable period of disappointment and frustration. I think it says a lot about the quality of Duffy’s signings when after every window the squad is arguably weaker than before.

I watched an interview with Dick Campbell the other day where he admitted the turnaround in their season wasn’t down to his tactical nous or anything like that, it was simply down to bringing in 5 new players. It no doubt strengthened some positions but more importantly it gave the underperforming players a boot up the farter. Our squad is so bereft of quality and numbers that the starting 11 picks itself. There is quite literally zero competition for places.

3 hours ago, FifeSons said:

True, but we're not as well-to-do as EK and Kelty.

Has anyone signed Thomas Reilly yet?

Who are both not kicking a ball! And by looks of things won't until next season! Is there any reason we shouldn't be trying to pilfer some of their better players and others around a similar level! WOSFL is now Null and Void so plenty players that I'm sure would be wanting to kick a ball between now and August! 

Is Daz Mackinnon at Drumchapel? I'd be trying to get him until the end of the season.  There must be others of that ilk cutting about those leagues that would love to get a game.

Nick Little of the bankies aswell as another striking option on loan?

Why isn't Duffy exploring these avenues?

Edited by the snudge

3 hours ago, the snudge said:

Is Daz Mackinnon at Drumchapel? I'd be trying to get him until the end of the season.  There must be others of that ilk cutting about those leagues that would love to get a game.

Nick Little of the bankies aswell as another striking option on loan?

Why isn't Duffy exploring these avenues?

I actually saw Daz today out and about. He looked as if he would be a bit off the pace if we signed him up! Reckon if fit he would be ideal for us. Meggat and Kirkpatrick at Darvel would surely fancy a kick about now their season is done. Little at the Bankies another good shout. There are plenty out there. Just seems Duffy is too lazy to bother.

8 hours ago, pleslie99 said:

I actually saw Daz today out and about. He looked as if he would be a bit off the pace if we signed him up! Reckon if fit he would be ideal for us. Meggat and Kirkpatrick at Darvel would surely fancy a kick about now their season is done. Little at the Bankies another good shout. There are plenty out there. Just seems Duffy is too lazy to bother.

As an outsider, I've always felt Duffy has become obsessed with trying to discover "b*****ds, cripples, and broken things", revitalise their career, and feel happy with himself that he helped someone's career,  actually succeeding with a club has become secondary. His chat about bringing 30yo Chris Calder off the bench as he "wanted to give him the experience of playing against senior players" kind of hints at this mindset IMO.

Feel players like Nathan Austin, who are well known, well paid, talents are just far too obvious and complete for him to bother with. He'd rather sign 28yo down of his luck haddy who's never played above the juniors.

Could be wrong with that, just the impression I get from his interviews etc.

The Duffy kicking is getting a bit boring now guys, hopefully we get a good game on saturday and it cheers us all up.

I think Aitken had a much easier job attracting players and yet he still made some poor decisions. He would have had more money, a higher league and bigger teams to play against.

I dont know what Duffys budget is, but I guess he's shopping where he can. I think East Fife signed 3 kids on loan before Nathan Austin, perhaps they've put all their available money into that one signing?

2 hours ago, sonsanorak said:

The Duffy kicking is getting a bit boring now guys, hopefully we get a good game on saturday and it cheers us all up.

I think Aitken had a much easier job attracting players and yet he still made some poor decisions. He would have had more money, a higher league and bigger teams to play against.

I dont know what Duffys budget is, but I guess he's shopping where he can. I think East Fife signed 3 kids on loan before Nathan Austin, perhaps they've put all their available money into that one signing?

I don't think the frustration shown at Duffys transfer dealings is unfair at all.  He has signed some shockers, 3 left backs and all that carry on.

We should 100% be looking for something fresh in the summer.

2 hours ago, sonsanorak said:

It isn't kicking.

His transfer dealings have been woeful since he took over in the dugout. He kept the club waiting one summer when teams were already doing deals - we couldn't because we didnt know Duffy was staying until late May. By that point the players we'd probably have liked to have kept had accepted contracts from other clubs. His football is horrible to watch and unnecessarily negative. Compared to others in the division, he hasn't performed particularly well.

Duffy deserves criticism. 

There is no kicking going on, people are commenting forcibly on a situation which looks grim as the restart of the season fast approaches. I find it hard to dispute the majority of the recent posts - it seems the public are more engaged than the club right now.