Sons' sorrow

6 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

Am i right in thinking that the transfer window is still operating normally although we are not playing ?

Yip. No extensions appear to be forthcoming, which means we'll need to go with what we've got when things start up again. The plus is that everyone else in the league is in the same position, although I'm not sure many others have lost their starting goalkeeper. 

Am i right in thinking that the transfer window is still operating normally although we are not playing ?

Yes, but there isn’t many decent free agents within our price range and higher division clubs will not send us their young talent on loan when there’s no guarantees of the season re-starting.

I suspect that, if a restart date is agreed, then we'll see the window extended until then for lower league sides. Most have lost all of their loanees and a restart wouldn't be immediate (e/g telling us now that we're all playing again on Saturday). It would be like a mini pre-season where clubs would be allowed to do a bit of business imo.

At the moment though if we signed a free agent, we couldn't immediately furlough them, so it would be peeing money directly down the drain.

25 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I suspect that, if a restart date is agreed, then we'll see the window extended until then for lower league sides. Most have lost all of their loanees and a restart wouldn't be immediate (e/g telling us now that we're all playing again on Saturday). It would be like a mini pre-season where clubs would be allowed to do a bit of business imo.

At the moment though if we signed a free agent, we couldn't immediately furlough them, so it would be peeing money directly down the drain.

Can the SFA/SPFL just extend the window though? I thought this had to come from FIFA/UEFA, and with the top leagues in just about every country still playing I'm not sure they're going to be arsed about extending the window.

8 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Can the SFA/SPFL just extend the window though? I thought this had to come from FIFA/UEFA, and with the top leagues in just about every country still playing I'm not sure they're going to be arsed about extending the window.

I think that's right. Can't see them extending it just for Scotland's lower leagues

15 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

An extension to the loan window would certainly be possible I'd imagine. Like in the season where we signed Dom Thomas in October, but the loan window shut in September for Championship sides. 

Given most sides at this level won't be signing players for a fee, then an extension to the loan window combined with the ability to register free agents would likely be all that would be needed. 

Edit: Looks like loan deals can still happen in February anyway.

In addition, the dispensation currently afforded to League One and Two clubs enabling them to sign players on loan in September and February has been extended to Championship clubs.  The “September” window has been amended to October given that the Scottish FA has confirmed that the Scottish transfer window will close on 5 October.

Clicky

Edited by Jan Vojáček

10 hours ago, The Moonster said:

That Liam Burt effort at goal haunts me like Stuart Armstrongs stupid pass against England. I don't think I'll ever forgive either of them.

The Armstrong one was also exactly what came to my mind when @microdave mentioned the Burt one. Never forgive, never forget.

21 hours ago, microdave said:
On 26/01/2021 at 16:55, FifeSons said:
Definitely, and the crazy thing is, it wasn't even that long ago. Feels like a lifetime, though.

Feels like ten years ago. But I yearn for the days we were playing in the Championship more than I like. Going to the pub (remember them?) and it being full of opposition fans all having a beer before the game. Fixtures like Dundee United, Dunfermline, St Mirren etc week after week. My daughter moved to Alloa last year and to get to her house, I have to drive past the Indodrill. Every time I go past, I have a wistful shake of my head even though I bear them no ill will. If only Liam Burt had taken the ball into the corner.

It’s all been downhill since that freekick in Oswestry. Imagine if we’d known what was to come in the following years.

It’s all been downhill since that freekick in Oswestry. Imagine if we’d known what was to come in the following years.
Well, actually we did know what was to come. Apart from a mid-90's promotion blip and the truly astonishing six Championship seasons and Challenge Cup Final, the last 30-plus years have seen us almost permanently skint, grubbing about in the nether regions of the Scottish League under bampot ownership.

Well, actually we did know what was to come. Apart from a mid-90's promotion blip and the truly astonishing six Championship seasons and Challenge Cup Final, the last 30-plus years have seen us almost permanently skint, grubbing about in the nether regions of the Scottish League under bampot ownership.
Yep. Although our stay in the championship lasted five years longer than I initially expected. We had our time in the sun and now we're back in winter until Aslan turns up again. Hopefully that'll be in my lifetime.

3 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:
4 hours ago, FifeSons said:

I always thought that I should enjoy the good times when they were there as I too had endured those 30-odd years of bumbling about in the bottom two tiers. (Btw, even Oswestry was  an excruciating performance apart from the two goals.)

54 minutes ago, the snudge said:

Here BTW next year is our 150th birthday!

Any other clubs in sunnier locations that are celebrating a significant year we could get an away friendly with?

Maybe even the Swiss guys club away?

We can’t even cobble together a kit that isn’t an off the shelf bider template so I’d be fairly astounded if we travelled any further than the Glasgow area for a friendly unfortunately. 

Here BTW next year is our 150th birthday!
Any other clubs in sunnier locations that are celebrating a significant year we could get an away friendly with?
Maybe even the Swiss guys club away?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Association_football_clubs_established_in_1872

Le Havre could be a shout but it'll probably be a friendly against the Vale!

I see Forfar have done a bit of wheeling and dealing and added 3 experienced heads to their squd, one being Grant Anderson who I’d have taken in a heartbeat. A wide target man type would also probably be ideal for our hoofball.

We’ve heard f**k all about what Duffy’s plans are should the league restart. Will we just be sticking with the mostly ganting squad we have or will he be looking to add to it? Who knows.

I see Forfar have done a bit of wheeling and dealing and added 3 experienced heads to their squd, one being Grant Anderson who I’d have taken in a heartbeat. A wide target man type would also probably be ideal for our hoofball.
We’ve heard f**k all about what Duffy’s plans are should the league restart. Will we just be sticking with the mostly ganting squad we have or will he be looking to add to it? Who knows.
Wide target man ? What's Gary O'Connor up to ?

I'm not that bothered with us signing no one at the moment. They can't be furloughed and we don't know when or if we'll be allowed to start again. If the plan gets the go ahead then you'd hope we'll be quick to get players in, but Duffy hasn't exactly filled me with confidence in other windows.