Sons' sorrow

6 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

3 week suspension of football below the Championship announced. No league games until at least after Jan 31st.

Nonsense decision. No investigation into Celtic's jolly to Dubai where a player actually came back with Covid. Lower league football suspended with virtually no cases of Covid.

Lets just cancel the season now. No promotion. No relegation. f**k it. Just end this pish and try again after the summer.

Would we survive until then if they did?

I could honestly cry at that news. Football was one of the only things keep me sane. I was so looking forward to tomorrow night.

I'd be amazed if this will have any impact at all on case numbers but here we are.

The season will be declared null and void and we won't play again until August. That's my prediction. 

3 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

3 week suspension of football below the Championship announced. No league games until at least after Jan 31st.

Nonsense decision. No investigation into Celtic's jolly to Dubai where a player actually came back with Covid. Lower league football suspended with virtually no cases of Covid.

Lets just cancel the season now. No promotion. No relegation. f**k it. Just end this pish and try again after the summer.

Not really sure why you think its a "nonsense decision" 

When the rest of the country is in lockdown, not allowed to travel, meet up or leave houses. PT players are allowed to go about their business, share cars to get to games, share dressing rooms etc. All the way down to tier 7. 99% of players outwith the championship and down have other jobs, interacting with others etc then going to meet up with 20/30 of their team mates and staff is pretty high risk. With no testing in place it seems like a sensible decision to me. Premiership clubs get tested. At least championship clubs are FT and predominatly based in the one bubble.

With regards to the Celtic debacle, im sure it won't be the last we have heard of it. The fact bookies have suspended betting on it may be an indicator of what is to come but who knows. 

7 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Pretty much agree with this. Celtic get a jolly and are allowed to carry on getting revenue. Meanwhile the seaside leagues are screwed. Hopefully there's some extra income for the players and staff in the form of furlough. 

Just now, pleslie99 said:

When the rest of the country is in lockdown, not allowed to travel, meet up or leave houses. PT players are allowed to go about their business, share cars to get to games, share dressing rooms etc. All the way down to tier 7. 99% of players outwith the championship and down have other jobs, interacting with others etc then going to meet up with 20/30 of their team mates and staff is pretty high risk. With no testing in place it seems like a sensible decision to me. Premiership clubs get tested. At least championship clubs are FT and predominatly based in the one bubble.

With regards to the Celtic debacle, im sure it won't be the last we have heard of it. The fact bookies have suspended betting on it may be an indicator of what is to come but who knows. 

How many cases of Covid have we seen in the lower leagues? How many players having to self-isolate due to close contact? How many pointless trips to Dubai for a piss up beside a swimming pool where a player returned and then tested positive for Covid?

If there's a need to suspend the lower leagues then the top flight is about as infectious as Typhoid Mary. It's a joke of a decision. Top flight has had a proportionately far higher instance of Covid infections and covid related isolations than we've seen in the lower leagues.

Suspend the top flight based on the evidence surely?

1 minute ago, BallochSonsFan said:

How many cases of Covid have we seen in the lower leagues? How many players having to self-isolate due to close contact? How many pointless trips to Dubai for a piss up beside a swimming pool where a player returned and then tested positive for Covid?

If there's a need to suspend the lower leagues then the top flight is about as infectious as Typhoid Mary. It's a joke of a decision. Top flight has had a proportionately far higher instance of Covid infections and covid related isolations than we've seen in the lower leagues.

They're testing though. There's bound to be more reported cases in the prem.

3 minutes ago, pleslie99 said:

They aren't allowed to car share, and we've been using both dressing rooms for social distancing - whilst away teams use the community suite. Lower league teams have done everything in their power to be as safe as they can. It's crazy how officious clubs are about it.

My mum is a frontline worker and doesn't get tested. My girlfriends's mum works in a hospital and has never been tested. Football obviously isn't like other industries (nor is it essential of course) but the fact that a Hamilton player is tested twice a week to let him train with a bunch of fit 20 year olds and my girlfriend's mum has been going into hospital wards the whole time without a test is mental.

1 minute ago, the snudge said:

They're testing though. There's bound to be more reported cases in the prem.

Anybody experiencing symptoms would be tested by the NHS. Lower league players would still be required to test if they were showing symptoms and to report to their clubs for test and trace purposes. Do you think that lower league players are developing symptoms but not getting tested? I'd argue that given their reliance on outside income, a lower league player would be more likely to get tested as they'd need to inform their other employer.

5 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

I'm not saying the lower leagues are any more or any less infectious. But look at the facts, its on the rise across the country. Footballers are out and about mixing with work mates then going into clubs. Yes there are more cases in the premiership but they are tested on a regular basis. How many of those that returned positive cases in the premiership showed symptoms?? I know personally 1 boy who tested positive at his club and didnt have any symptoms! There are more cases therefore more isolations as there are more tests.

Do I think Celtic should get hammered for going to Dubai? Yes I do. Do I think the top flight and championship should be suspended if we are? Yes I do. Do I understand why the decision has been made? Yes I do.

Just now, pleslie99 said:

I'm not saying the lower leagues are any more or any less infectious. But look at the facts, its on the rise across the country. Footballers are out and about mixing with work mates then going into clubs. Yes there are more cases in the premiership but they are tested on a regular basis. How many of those that returned positive cases in the premiership showed symptoms?? I know personally 1 boy who tested positive at his club and didnt have any symptoms! There are more cases therefore more isolations as there are more tests.

Do I think Celtic should get hammered for going to Dubai? Yes I do. Do I think the top flight and championship should be suspended if we are? Yes I do. Do I understand why the decision has been made? Yes I do.

Look at the facts.

Plenty of top flight players testing positive and more having to isolate. Almost no lower league players testing positive and having to isolate.

Those are the facts. If we were making decisions based on facts then the top flight would be included in the suspension.

Cases or no cases it felt a bit odd that a national lockdown is in place but we can still play. This is a pre-emptive, precautionary move that's on balance probably correct. Doesn't make me any less gutted though.

Celtic are a separate matter. What they've done is an absolute joke and we should get them to f**k.

Edited by George Parr

14 minutes ago, Thommo90 said:

Trying to look for positives, might suit us to do some transfer business and miss a few games..

The problem here though is the material uncertainty in whether we'll actually start up again in February. Will we need that budget to help the club survive in the event of a lengthier layoff? Will the window be extended if there is further delay? Who knows.

31 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

Will we be allowed to furlough the players again?

I'd be tempted to set up another fundraiser.

Would have to assume so. All other employers have been able to furlough staff on and off (flexible furlough) and since the increased restrictions kicked in my team have had to furlough a couple of staff and another couple have gone back in to shielding and will be paid through the furlough scheme also, I believe.

56 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

Will we be allowed to furlough the players again?

I'd be tempted to set up another fundraiser.

If the season gets ended any time soon I suspect making the players redundant would be the better option. But furlough is available until May and I see no reason why we shouldn't be able to claim it.