Sons' sorrow

On 07/01/2021 at 09:56, The Moonster said:

Since March last year the club has received around £30-35K in donations from fans, £50k from James Anderson and £150k from the government. We also had the players and staff furloughed for much of last year. I get we have running costs and we've barely had a home game, but surely with over £230K in donations in the last year (and the low level of player we have on our books) the stress of staying in business isn't quite what it was when this kicked off? 

In their May 2019 accounts the club had creditors falling due  by May 2020 of £134,619. They had a total due to creditors of £359,218.

These figures are accumulated debt and do not include running costs.

At May 2019 the club had an overdraft of £32,451 and owed £19,454 in taxes and social security. 

Any receipts in the last few months, have to be viewed in this context.

8 minutes ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

In their May 2019 accounts the club had creditors falling due  by May 2020 of £134,619. They had a total due to creditors of £359,218.

These figures are accumulated debt and do not include running costs.

At May 2019 the club had an overdraft of £32,451 and owed £19,454 in taxes and social security. 

Any receipts in the last few months, have to be viewed in this context.

If £134k was due to be paid in May 2020 then we either paid or whoever is owed it didn't hasn't gone mental for it, considering we're still here. Debt can be scary written down but we don't have a clue who is owed it or if they're calling it in. Does the overall creditors figure also not include money owed to Rankine from Brabco?

If we are in such a precarius position that we can barely survive then I'd hope an emergency meeting would be arranged or at the very least an emergency fund would be set up. 

27 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

If £134k was due to be paid in May 2020 then we either paid or whoever is owed it didn't hasn't gone mental for it, considering we're still here. Debt can be scary written down but we don't have a clue who is owed it or if they're calling it in. Does the overall creditors figure also not include money owed to Rankine from Brabco?

If we are in such a precarius position that we can barely survive then I'd hope an emergency meeting would be arranged or at the very least an emergency fund would be set up. 

We certainly have some clue who is owed the money by reading the accounts.

creditors.jpg.4c650dae63f0c9a375532bdd307c65e6.jpg

We are in a precarious position and we are barely surviving. This was made clear in note 2:2 of the accounts in May 2019. It is very difficult to see how this situation can have improved since then.

Edited by Howlin' Wilf

41 minutes ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

We certainly have some clue who is owed the money by reading the accounts.

creditors.jpg.4c650dae63f0c9a375532bdd307c65e6.jpg

Not really. The overdraft is something the club has pretty much always operated on, it's not anything new. We owe "trade creditors" and "other creditors" - that tells you hee haw about who it's owed to. Are the debts being called in this year? If not, it's not an immediate concern to keep the business running. I'm assuming we've paid our tax or HMRC would be knocking the door down.

If the club were to enter administration tomorrow you would have around 90% of the support in shock. Your average fan doesn't read the club accounts so I'm not sure note 2.2 hidden away in that document is "making it clear" to the fanbase that we could die at any moment.

I'm getting a bit tired of the "no pot to piss in" narrative.

34 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Not really. The overdraft is something the club has pretty much always operated on, it's not anything new. We owe "trade creditors" and "other creditors" - that tells you hee haw about who it's owed to. Are the debts being called in this year? If not, it's not an immediate concern to keep the business running. I'm assuming we've paid our tax or HMRC would be knocking the door down.

If the club were to enter administration tomorrow you would have around 90% of the support in shock. Your average fan doesn't read the club accounts so I'm not sure note 2.2 hidden away in that document is "making it clear" to the fanbase that we could die at any moment.

I'm getting a bit tired of the "no pot to piss in" narrative.

I posted note 2:2 here recently. I may paraphrase but it basically said that the club was only in a position to continue as a going concern because a benefactor had guaranteed the club's debts for a limited time.

The overdraft when listed as due within a year means that it is up for annual review.

ETA  "The overdraft is something the club has pretty much always operated on" - They didn't have one in 2018.

"I'm getting a bit tired of the "no pot to piss in" narrative"

comforting-lies-vs-unpleasant-truths-640x480.jpeg

Edited by Howlin' Wilf

58 minutes ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

I posted note 2:2 here recently. I may paraphrase but it basically said that the club was only in a position to continue as a going concern because a benefactor had guaranteed the club's debts for a limited time.

The overdraft when listed as due within a year means that it is up for annual review.

ETA  "The overdraft is something the club has pretty much always operated on" - They didn't have one in 2018.

"I'm getting a bit tired of the "no pot to piss in" narrative"

comforting-lies-vs-unpleasant-truths-640x480.jpeg

I'm happy to deal with truth no matter how harsh it is. I just don't agree our budget this season is as poor as made out or the clubs existence is in immediate danger. If I'm wrong on both counts I'm happy to eat my words.

18 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Duffy appears to indicate there that the club budgeted for having fans in the stadium this season. I find that utterly bewildering.

49 minutes ago, George Parr said:

Duffy appears to indicate there that the club budgeted for having fans in the stadium this season. I find that utterly bewildering.

I remember the glory days of August when we were told fans should be able to return in September.

If only we knew.

15 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

We've signed Joshua Bradley-Hurst who is a goalkeeper. Not sure he has a senior appearance to his name yet.

Well. That's left field.

I know nothing about him whatsoever. I wonder if this means Smith will be our #1 now? A risk chucking an 18 year old with no senior experience right in. 

Feel like he could either be a wee superstar or miles out of his depth.

45 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I know nothing about him whatsoever. I wonder if this means Smith will be our #1 now? A risk chucking an 18 year old with no senior experience right in. 

Smith as #1 and the cheapest possible option as a back-up seemed very predictable.

Hopefully this wee guy ends up being amazing or Smith plays like he did against Airdrie every week.

46 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

E48A382A-F3EB-45D6-A503-EE73FEB72231.thumb.png.61deb15a5a22372c5fa0c6c844fc5897.png

Born in 2002. Man I feel old.

43E21776-FFC4-478F-987E-1F123F22035D.jpeg.9ff39fb83a0ec575ccf4e2a0029ca355.jpeg

His stats on the fountain of knowledge that is FM. I seriously hope that height stat is wrong.

The height stat will definitely be wrong given it says he's 17 there. You'd hope he's grown a bit in the last 2 years. I reckon we're going with Smith as no.1 though.

16 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

The height stat will definitely be wrong given it says he's 17 there. You'd hope he's grown a bit in the last 2 years. I reckon we're going with Smith as no.1 though.

I'm really not sure how I feel about that. As good as he was against Airdrie.

I reckon Smith will be number 1 unless Duffy is confident chucking the youngster in at the deep end. He has a decent pedigree at least so I’m guessing he has something about him. As much as Smith had a decent game against Airdrie I can’t say I’m overly delighted about us heading into the second half of the season with him as no1.

I thought with Hibs signing that guy from Arsenal that we might see big Kev back at some point this month but I’m guessing that ship has sailed now unfortunately. 

Edited by Bring Back Paddy Flannery

I reckon Smith will be number 1 unless Duffy is confident chucking the youngster in at the deep end. He has a decent pedigree at least so I’m guessing he has something about him. As much as Smith had a decent game against Airdrie I can’t say I’m overly delighted about us heading into the second half of the season with him as no1.
I thought with Hibs signing that guy from Arsenal that we might see big Kev back at some point this month but I’m guessing that ship has sailed now unfortunately. 

It is what is is. We obviously have hee-haw money to play with and we have to assume that the young lad has something which took him to Celtic in the first place. On his day Chris Smith is decent keeper but he seems very fragile fitness-wise. As regards the more general situation I wouldn't be at all surprised if the club is less than a box-office draw right now for potential loanees and more importantly their managers. We shall see.