Sons' sorrow

The league is gonna make grim reading once the teams below us have played their games in hand. I'm sure some  will be playing each other so not everyone will be picking up 3 points but it's still gonna be a sore one.

These 4 home games are massive.  It's got to be 12 points out of 12 for me.

We absolutely need it.

Edited by sarti pooh

58 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

It's money given for the running of the club. Brabco can't just pocket it.

This is certainly true. The money is for Dumbarton FC and will be payable to Dumbarton FC. Brabco have no board representation at the club and I trust John Steele not to write a cheque to them.

36 minutes ago, sarti pooh said:

The league is gonna make grim reading once the teams below us have played their games in hand. I'm sure some  will be playing each other so not everyone will be picking up 3 points but it's still gonna be a sore one.

These 4 home games are massive.  It's got to be 12 points out of 12 for me.

We absolutely need it.

It's a tight league with many unexpected results. But you're right.

A couple of things... like the James Anderson money the recently-announced SG grants will likely come with heavy qualifications which almost certainly spike any Brabco attempt to syphon off any of it, if they were so minded.

Secondly, although one bad defeat can be viewed in isolation, all available evidence is pointing to a real struggle to stay in this division. Do we have a collection of players who are underperforming ? Or do we have a group of players, some of whom aren't up to it ? Or do we have a management team who are proving unable to organise and motivate them ? Or is it a bit of all three ?

13 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

A couple of things... like the James Anderson money the recently-announced SG grants will likely come with heavy qualifications which almost certainly spike any Brabco attempt to syphon off any of it, if they were so minded.

Secondly, although one bad defeat can be viewed in isolation, all available evidence is pointing to a real struggle to stay in this division. Do we have a collection of players who are underperforming ? Or do we have a group of players, some of whom aren't up to it ? Or do we have a management team who are proving unable to organise and motivate them ? Or is it a bit of all three ?

I'd say Rico, Carswell, Frizzell and Forbes have all under performed. Morrison, Jones, McCluskey, Church and Denny probably not up to it. Duffy struggling to figure out how to play Hamilton, Wedderburn, Carswell and Forbes all in the same team and doesn't seem to think Wilson is a must start up front. So aye, probably a bit of all 3.

Assuming we can maintain the same standards throughout the rest of the season would we reckon a points haul of 33 would be enough to see us safe?

If not what kind of tally do we think will be required to avoid relegation/playoff?

9 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Duffy struggling to figure out how to play Hamilton, Wedderburn, Carswell and Forbes all in the same team and doesn't seem to think Wilson is a must start up front. 

This is what is concerning me. Duffy just seems totally blind to what everyone else can see. We have gone all season with a makeshift midfield. We have Hamilton just kind of mincing about and playing out wide at times (I think, it’s actually hard to work out what he’s doing at times) and he joined us a centre back/defensive midfielder. We have this new lad Church operating on the left wing when he has spent his entire career as a left back. We have Ross Forbes just bumbling around looking like he’d rather be anywhere else, looking unfit and contributing absolutely nothing. The last few weeks one of our midfielders who was actually playing in his natural position is now operating at centre back because we have absolutely no cover there. Frizzell has been a bit better than the others, when we start Wilson he looks a lot better, when we start one of the other two big haddies who don’t make any runs or do any work off the ball he’s fairly restricted with what he can do. 

Why with a squad of 20 players are we having to slot so many square pegs into round holes? Why do we have THREE left backs and no cover at centre back? Why do we have only 2 natural wingers (one of whom is fairly injury prone and one of whom is absolutely pish)? Why do none of our central midfielders compliment each other? Duffy has built a mess of a squad and is having to resort to just chucking players into random positions. We have scored 7 goals in 13 competitive fixtures this season, 1 in our last 5. 

I think anyone who’s expecting or wanting 12 points from this run of home fixtures would be as well forgetting it. If you can’t score goals you can’t win games and in turn you are going to find yourself propping up the table sooner rather than later. Duffy has made a total arse of the squad and he needs to deal with it as soon as possible, fannying around like nothing is wrong until the last week in January wont do.

34 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

This is what is concerning me. Duffy just seems totally blind to what everyone else can see. We have gone all season with a makeshift midfield. We have Hamilton just kind of mincing about and playing out wide at times (I think, it’s actually hard to work out what he’s doing at times) and he joined us a centre back/defensive midfielder. We have this new lad Church operating on the left wing when he has spent his entire career as a left back. We have Ross Forbes just bumbling around looking like he’d rather be anywhere else, looking unfit and contributing absolutely nothing. The last few weeks one of our midfielders who was actually playing in his natural position is now operating at centre back because we have absolutely no cover there. Frizzell has been a bit better than the others, when we start Wilson he looks a lot better, when we start one of the other two big haddies who don’t make any runs or do any work off the ball he’s fairly restricted with what he can do. 

Why with a squad of 20 players are we having to slot so many square pegs into round holes? Why do we have THREE left backs and no cover at centre back? Why do we have only 2 natural wingers (one of whom is fairly injury prone and one of whom is absolutely pish)? Why do none of our central midfielders compliment each other? Duffy has built a mess of a squad and is having to resort to just chucking players into random positions. We have scored 7 goals in 13 competitive fixtures this season, 1 in our last 5.

I actually thought in yesterday's game the formation looked more like a 4-5-1 at times. With Frizzell/Church on the wings, Nat and Hamilton sitting and Forbes in front of them. Leaving Denny as the lone striker.

For me I ask, why are we giving so much respect to Montrose? Yes, they are a good team but if you play into their hands and away from your own strengths then you are conceding the game before it starts. For me, I actually believe yesterday's formation was closer to one that works for us than in some of the previous games - yet still absolutely honking.

In theory, having Nat and Hamilton in front of the defense should mean we hard to break down, yet we were the complete opposite. Again, I don't understand why we have Hamilton in midfield and Carswell in defense? 

With 2 LBs on the one side, we should at least be solid when they attack us, yet (once again) we were the complete opposite yesterday with much of Montrose' good play coming down that side.

I now wonder, would we get McGeever back in ASAP and get Carswell into the midfield for some mobility and legs? If it was upto me, I'd happily ditch Forbes and Hamilton from the side completely to bring in Carswell (if McGeever comes back to CB) to play Wilson up front instead and even then you have the option to keep DJ up front and Frizzell on one wing. When PJ comes back he goes on the other wing.

We would certainly increase our chances of scoring tenfold! Which, when we can't defend anyway... might just be our only reasonable gameplan.

I was genuinely surprised at the poll I created on the “sons of the rock “, Facebook page, where it was 84-4 in favour of keeping Duffy

To be honest, I’ve not seen a game due to this pandemic and managing my earnings a lot shrewder, so I go on my thoughts based on what I read on here, and stats I see of games

Would we trust Duffy with another January transfer window?

Do we need more juniors/highland league players at our club?

Surely Andy Ryan for example would have been affordable than keeping jones on?