Sons' sorrow

I’ve never been a huge fan of the League Cup group stage but this season has really hit home how truly shite it is. I’d much prefer if it went back to a normal format. 

I struggled to have any real interest today and in hindsight I wish I’d just watched the golf instead of glancing at the tv every few minutes to see what the score was. A completely pointless afternoon where we have picked up another couple of injuries by the looks of things.

4 minutes ago, cedrick1 said:

I’ve never been a fan  of format but that’s cause Dumbarton struggle in it. I can’t recall any league cup game we haven’t struggled in . Other teams seem to make a fist of it against higher level we don’t 

There's no mystery about it - these other clubs aren't operating in the hellish circumstances we currently endure.  As long as absentee landlords Brabco remain in place the DFC Board, through no fault of their own, is effectively managing decline.  As a result Jim Duffy has an extremely difficult job trying annually to build a squad on a limited budget and the last two games are evidence of this situation.

We have once again proven what a farce the league cup is. 4 meaningless games, no trialists allowed, an absolute joke for teams like us. It should be optional to participate in, especially for lower league teams. Squads are tight at the best of times, naming 2 subs at our level is ridiculous and the spfl should be reveiwing this format, a team today couldn't even field a team, will they be hit with a financial penalty at these tough times? If so it could be devastating for them, if not it leaves the door open for everyone else to just pull out when they cant be arsed.

If this is going to continue for the foreseeable then they should allow us to play trialists or go back to a straight knockout tournament. The fact that Killie forfeited their opening 2 games made it basically impossible for us to qualify before it even kicked off! 

We are asking fans to cough up to watch us go through the motions, Duffy isn't the 1st sons manager and probably not the only manager in the leagues that has openly said its an inconvenience. If the manager and players don't care then why should the fans? I didnt pay for any of our games and won't pay for any games that we aren't going to make an effort to win.

3 hours ago, sarti pooh said:

Wedderburn showing early signs he's defo a mark up from Hutton I think.

I was just looking forward to getting today out the way, and the first-half certainly didn't change those feelings. It wasn't so much that we were awful, but Kilmarnock were miles and miles ahead of us. They knocked the ball about brilliantly and we couldn't get near them.

The second-half was a bit step forward though. We were the better team and started to pose a wee bit of a threat - Duffy was pretty chuffed with that and so was I. At 2-0 down we were never going to take anything, but I couldn't fault the second-half.

Totally agree on Wedderburn. I had never really rated him before, but he's been excellent so far imo. He's so calm on the ball and he's always looking to take it on - even under pressure. Based on his seven games in a Sons shirt so far I'd say he's more consistent than Hutton, a better passer and more skilful when it comes to taking players on, opening up space and playing a killer pass. He can still be a bit clumsy, but I've been far more impressed than I thought I would be.

I thought big Kevin Dabrowski was really impressive today again as well. He was getting plenty of plaudits in the press box, and it wasn't just for his outstanding save in the first-half. It's just the way he commands his area, he was coming for crosses and collecting them cleanly (one first-half one aside) which took a lot of pressure off the defenders. I do hope that fans get a chance to see him in the flesh this season, because it's something you can only really appreciate when you see him live. He just has an impressive presence and confidence about him. That's something we haven't had from a keeper since Alan Martin.

Fair play to wee Ruaridh Langan too. He had a shocker of a first-half and must've been close to being hooked, but when we moved him into central-midfield he put a solid shift in, in the second-half. I don't get why we play him wide when he's literally not played well there once, but I think he showed that he can be handy in games where we are needing to bolster the midfield a wee bit. He should never be played wide though. 

Forgot to add - Daniel Church was solid enough too. He looks a better option than Morrison there if Quitongo is going to be out for a wee while.

59 minutes ago, cedrick1 said:

What injury did mcgeever suffer today.

He was ill. Had been up all last night, thought he'd try and play today but wasn't feeling up to it after 20 minutes. Hopefully he'll be sorted by next week, but thankfully not an injury.

9 hours ago, FifeSons said:

Does anyone know how to go about ordering the kit? I emailed the club but didn’t hear anything back and can’t see anywhere to order online.

Email Antonia at the club.She will sort it out for you or phone.Think the club is open Mon/Wed /Fri  until 1 PM.

I see we now wont have a home match until 12th December because the Betrfred cup ties take place on 28th November and Falkirk are involved. seems pretty crazy that they have given Betfred ties precedence over the league. Money is tight enough as it is without having  seven weeks between scheduled home league games

58 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

I see we now wont have a home match until 12th December because the Betrfred cup ties take place on 28th November and Falkirk are involved. seems pretty crazy that they have given Betfred ties precedence over the league. Money is tight enough as it is without having  seven weeks between scheduled home league games

Just an unfortunate situation really. It's a strange season, we'll be into week 8 of the league season and will only have played 2 home games (not helped by us moving a fixture of course). The upside is that between 12th December and 13th of February we only have 2 away games and the rest are at home.