Sons' sorrow

Agree with pretty much all of the above from Dumbarton fans, thought we looked sharper and quicker in the first half. The penalty was admittedly soft. Was disappointed we let you back in with your first goal though. 

Shiels was at fault for both goals, hoping that doesn’t continue but you guys didn’t rate him either. 

It’ll be a different game in 2 weeks time at your place. 

How did Pixellot’s streaming go yesterday?
Any issues getting logged in and was the commentary in time with the footage?

Bit of a delay with the stream going live but when it did the quality was better than I expected and the commentary good. Next to no buffering at my end. The camera lost the ball on one or two occasions but I can live with that. Generally pretty decent and good value at £6. Sign in process was also really straight forward, took about 2 minutes.

Bit of a delay with the stream going live but when it did the quality was better than I expected and the commentary good. Next to no buffering at my end. The camera lost the ball on one or two occasions but I can live with that. Generally pretty decent and good value at £6. Sign in process was also really straight forward, took about 2 minutes.
Tbf the delay in the start of the stream was fixed before the game kicked off. Just!

When there was no video at the beginning I thought that was going to be game over considering the time it took to fix our stream on Thursday.

Aye the footage being ahead of the sound seems to be a real problem, just about every stream so far I've seen fans complain of that. Aside from that it was absolutely fine getting logged on, no server issues at all. The camera tracked a seagul a couple of times but I can live with that. I'm quite happy with the service as long as server issues are sorted going forward.

7 hours ago, bullyweehutch said:

Our highlights.
Agree with you lot that our penalty wasnt a penalty having seen it from the other side of the pitch
Red car was justified, although not particularly malicious, you just can not dive in with 2 feet anymore

Can't say my opinion has changed much on anything viewing things again (with the alternative camera angle).

Dabrowski looks slow to react to the 1st considering how far it has come.

There's absolutely nothing in the penalty. 

Never a foul in build up to our 1st goal.

Awful play in the lead to the 3rd goal.

Looks a clumsy but correct red card.

Work to be done with our squad this week anyway.

IMG_0847.thumb.jpg.bc3bf51109031f0c057c6845dce71537.jpg
Fifty years ago today, a Charlie Gallagher penalty and a Kenny Wilson header cancelled out two early Bobby Lennox goals to force the League Cup semi-final replay into extra time, against the European Cup Final runners up.
I was there.
So was I, and from my vantage point in the old North Enclosure I can confirm that the Bobby Lennox cross from the left wing which led to Lou Macari's far post tap-in for the deciding fourth goal DID cross the goal line on it's way over, so much so that Lawrie Williams (who was much better placed than the officials) immediately raised his arm to signify same. So convinced was he that awaited a flag/whistle - unfortunately for Sons there came none. Nevertheless, an epic pair of performances.

I’ll be honest, Saturday has me slightly concerned about how the squad is looking. Understandbly it’s probably one of the most difficult seasons in living memory for the gaffer to build a squad but at the minute it’s looking very imbalanced. I’m also slightly concerned that if Denny Johnstone doesn’t produce the goods this season then we really don’t have much else up top. I’m seriously not convinced that Robert Jones is good enough, we need to hope this new guy is up to it.

We desperately need a few bodies in for Saturday, preferably a pacy winger being one.

Looking at the players he's signed, again it screams laziness to me. If you're working with an extremely tight budget, why sign up essentially 4 guys who play deep midfield positions? Carswell, Wedderburn, Langan and now Chris Hamilton look perfectly suited to protect the defence but we've got absolutely nothing in forward areas, nor has he looked to replace our most creative player from last season. Chris Hamilton looked pur best bet for creative spark at the weekend and he's meant to be a fucking centre half.

We don't have enough players to fill a bench, again. We don't have enough pace, again. We are a week from the league starting and don't have the squad ready, again. We don't have any optimism going into a new season, again. All of this is under Duffy's remit and we're flapping about again a week before the season starts.

Looking at the players he's signed, again it screams laziness to me. If you're working with an extremely tight budget, why sign up essentially 4 guys who play deep midfield positions? Carswell, Wedderburn, Langan and now Chris Hamilton look perfectly suited to protect the defence but we've got absolutely nothing in forward areas, nor has he looked to replace our most creative player from last season. Chris Hamilton looked pur best bet for creative spark at the weekend and he's meant to be a fucking centre half.
We don't have enough players to fill a bench, again. We don't have enough pace, again. We are a week from the league starting and don't have the squad ready, again. We don't have any optimism going into a new season, again. All of this is under Duffy's remit and we're flapping about again a week before the season starts.
I'm not going to argue with any of that. And I can't hide my disappointment at the retention of Langan, McCluskey and Jones.

13 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Not to mention, we would be starting the season with Brennan between the sticks and Pettigrew on the bench if Duffy had got his way. Thankfully he never and he had to put a bit of work into finding a new keeper. If he managed it with Dabrowski I don’t understand why he couldn’t have done similar in terms of replacing some of the less than impressive performers we retained from last season. 

I think our biggest hope now is Duffy pulling off a couple of quality loan signing because I can’t see us plucking a McKee out of thin air this season. 

I think the problem Duffy May have now is finding loan players from premier league clubs who are willing to let players play with part-time clubs that could expose them to a greater risk of catching Covid and bringing it in to their parent club. Pretty sure when we’ve had guys like Shields, McCrorie etc they were training full time with their parent club and only playing with us match day. That could be a problem that would in effect shut down a system we’ve pretty much relied on for seasons.

If the above is an issue, and our already tight budget is further constrained, rightly, by the uncertainly that exists right now I don’t see much room to manoeuvre for Duffy and that is worrying.

I’d expect Forfar to be in the lower half of the league this year so Saturday will give us a pretty quick assessment of where we’ll be heading ourselves. At the moment a top half finish looks beyond us.

All that said, given the current state of affairs I’ll be glad just to have a club ready for the 21/22 season.

For me Duffy has backed himself into a bit of a tactical corner. We don't have much creativity in the middle of the park and we don't have much out wide. The only real option as I see it is a back 3 of McGeever, Neil and Hamilton as the ball player. We've got Quitongo and Wardrop who can play as wingbacks. The midfield would be 2 from Wedderburn, Carswell and Langan plus our only really creative player in Forbes. Forbes will do nothing for 80 minutes of a game but we'll carry him in the hope that he gives us a few moments of magic that'll turn things because we have a real lack of creativity. Up front you're looking at a big man (Johnston or Jones) beside a more mobile forward (Crossan, McClusky or Wilson).

Can Jones play the Robert Thompson role from a few years ago as a big man who is better with the ball at feet and who can cut inside from wider positions? I'm really not sure. Crossan can, but that risks leaving the big striker up front very isolated. Given how little Forbes will do defensively, we can't really go 4-3-3 as he won't properly protect his fullback out wide.

Right now I reckon we're short on cover at fullback/wingback on both sides, creativity in midfield and attacking options who can start wide and come inside to support the striker. The only way this current squad can overcome those gaps would be a back 3 and 2 wingbacks. 

Edited by BallochSonsFan

So was I, and from my vantage point in the old North Enclosure I can confirm that the Bobby Lennox cross from the left wing which led to Lou Macari's far post tap-in for the deciding fourth goal DID cross the goal line on it's way over, so much so that Lawrie Williams (who was much better placed than the officials) immediately raised his arm to signify same. So convinced was he that awaited a flag/whistle - unfortunately for Sons there came none. Nevertheless, an epic pair of performances.
So convinced was he, that he actually swung from the crossbar! Although it ultimately ended in defeat, those are my two favourite Sons games of all time.