Sons' sorrow

1 minute ago, FifeSons said:

The commentator keeps telling us Clyde have dominated, despite them having created virtually nothing second half.

We have had two good efforts saved from your keeper and a gol disallowed so not quite virtually nothing. I would agree though, we haven’t dominated as such either.

The stream was very good quality, for me anyway. A couple of times the tracking of the ball was bit behind In the second half, but no buffering at all and the picture quality was great.

Thought Wedderburn looked good, which was a pleasant surprise.

5 minutes ago, haufdaft said:
9 minutes ago, FifeSons said:
The commentator keeps telling us Clyde have dominated, despite them having created virtually nothing second half.

Wait until you hear the Falkirk commentators

I’ve heard them before when watching from ‘abroad’. Not quite as bad as the Rangers commentators, at least.

So frustrating that if we had actually bothered our arses in the first half and not given away 2 terrible goals and had a soft pen against us then we could easily have gotten something from that game. Clyde looked comfortable on the ball first half but didn't have to show any quality whatsoever to get their goals.

Lots of work needed from here you have to say.

Key takeaways for me:

First Clyde goal is a great strike, but we should be closing that down better. Maybe the keeper should also be doing better from that far out, but perhaps that’s a bit harsh.

Second Clyde goal is never a penalty. Clearly gets the ball and Goodwillie just runs into him.

At the time, I thought there was a clear foul on Goodwillie for our first goal, but watching it back he goes down softly.

Horrendous from Wardrop for Clyde’s third.

Definite red for Hamilton.

Clyde’s goal music unbelievably cringeworthy.

Edited by FifeSons

26 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

Key takeaways for me:

First Clyde goal is a great strike, but we should be closing that down better. Maybe the keeper should also be doing better from that far out, but perhaps that’s a bit harsh.

Second Clyde goal is never a penalty. Clearly gets the ball and Goodwillie just runs into him.

At the time, I thought there was a clear foul on Goodwillie for our first goal, but watching it back he goes down softly.

Horrendous from Wardrop for Clyde’s third.

Definite red for Hamilton.

Clyde’s goal music unbelievably cringeworthy.

FWIW I thought Dabrowski could have done better for the first. It was a great hit but he was in a decent position to save it.

36 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

FWIW I thought Dabrowski could have done better for the first. It was a great hit but he was in a decent position to save it.

I said the same at the time straight away. Looked to go over him and was far from being in the corner and/or out of reach. 

ETA: I didn't want to shout too much about it until I seen it again as in real time it was hard to say.

Edited by squeezeboxson

That was very much a game of two halves. 

We were absolutely rubbish for the first 45, save for some smashing saves by the very impressive looking Kevin Dabrowski, and the performance of Chris Hamilton. He must be some centre-half, because he looked very comfortable out on the wing today. His goal was really nicely taken given it was his first in senior football too.

It was difficult to say for sure what went wrong in the first, but Clyde just looked an awful lot sharper. In true Danny Lennon style they knocked the ball about really nicely and out midfield and defence just couldn't cope. There was a huge gap between Carswell and Wedderburn and the defence, and they played into that space time and again. Truth be told if we'd gone in 5-1 down at half-time we couldn't have complained. 

Although I would've still complained about the penalty decision to be fair. It looked laughable from where I was, and when the referee initially ignored it I didn't for a second think we'd got away with one. Then again McGeever clearly fouled Goodwillie in the build up to Hamilton's goal - so swings and roundabouts I guess.

In the second-half we looked to have sorted the problem, and had the game gone on for another 10 minutes (and we'd kept 11 on the park) I'd have fancied us to draw level. The Hamilton sending off was a funny one, he took a risk going in like that, but Wedderburn had jumped into a similar (but much worse) challenge about 20 minutes earlier and escaped with a booking. He got lucky and Hamilton didn't. Dem swings and roundabouts at it again.

In terms of performances Hamilton and Dabrowski were comfortably our best two players. Hamilton looked both skilful and solid, a threat in attack and solid defensively. If he can keep up those performances then we'll have a real player on our hands.

Big Kevin just continues to impress me. I was right behind the opener and, whilst it wasn't straight into the corner, the pace the ball had on it with the typical Broadwood wind behind it is probably what caught him out. It whistled by at some speed.

On the concerning front was Sam Wardrop. Duffy said post-match that he wasn't fully fit, and he certainly doesn't look it. He made a sloppy mistake for the third goal and looked just half a yard off the pace - and lacking a bit of sharpness and confidence. Hopefully it's just because he's barely kicked a ball since our relegation season and not the legacy of his nasty injuries.

Carsy also looked a bit off it, and again picked up a daft booking for dissent in the final minute. We're running a really tight squad and he could do with avoiding the daft yellows because they'll hurt over the season. After a poor first-half Wedderburn redeemed himself with a really decent second and, as tough a time as he gets, I thought big Robert Jones put in a shift. He's just like the second coming of Colin Nish really, and once you accept that then you'll see he can be a useful - if infuriating - player.

Repeat the first-half next week and we'll be pumped. Repeat the second and we're capable of taking something. Duffy sounded optimistic about adding to the squad before then too, and Jaime Wilson's long awaited clearance will hopefully be through to give us another option going forwards.

My report is here for anyone wanting more Sons content in their lives. 

Question would we have been happy if sons went for Lang, mcniff, Johnston, shields all ex players who played better today than any sons players save Hamilton. 
Quito go was better after Johnston went off 
I fail to see the point in this question. None of these players ever shone at Dumbarton; McNiff failed to establish himself, in his few games Lang was a gung-ho bomb-scare; Johnston looked continually like a guy who wished he was somewhere else, whilst Shields made us wonder how he was on Rangers books. So my answer is a resounding 'no'.

Sorry oki just feel with the exception of mcniff we should have got more out these guys .
and what we’ve got at moment is short . Hopefully just the usual league cup 
I don't necessarily disagree. As to where we are now, well that's not a good place. We are basically on a mission, like others, to survive this pandemic and keep the club going until such time as we can hopefully get Brabco off the scene and return DFC to more stable and committed ownership. Money will be incredibly tight and the playing staff will reflect that; having said that, if we can get a couple of midfielders in then we can compete. A modest aim, but perhaps a realistic one.

I don't think it's acceptable for people to accept crap performances in cup competitions. The league is obviously the most important competition we play in but the cups are important too. They can bring in income (which could help improve our league position) and can inject a feelgood factor around the whole club. I know the current league cup format isn't favourable for us but even when it was a straight knockout, I don't think we've been beyond the last 32 in my time supporting the club. It's a pitiful record. A good run can also galvanise the fans like in 2014 and 2018.