Sons' sorrow

3 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

I don’t see Crossan being effective upfront at all, he’d just get bullied all day.

I actually think he has the potential to be a bit like John Baird up there. He's got that same wee stocky build and if he can buzz around causing problems with his pace and quick feet I think he could be a good option. Probably win us a number of free kicks in the final third too, which will again be huge for us this year.

I'm just disappointed that Johnstone's first name is Denny and not Duncan, we could've had PJ and Duncan as the front two which would've made for some great memes.

I’ve never rated Wedderburn and don’t think he’s a patch on Hutton. Would love to be proved wrong, though.
I don’t see Crossan being effective upfront at all, he’d just get bullied all day.
Let's not rose-tint Hutton's memory too much ahead of Wedderburn's arrival. It took him around 100 games to find his form....

I rated big Nat at Airdrie could shrug off players, play a good pass and was good in the air . The downsides were his lack of any pace at all and often gave fouls away but I think as he’s bigger it may be easier for smaller players to buy fouls off him. Think there’s a lot worse than having big Nat in your team.

I actually think he has the potential to be a bit like John Baird up there. He's got that same wee stocky build and if he can buzz around causing problems with his pace and quick feet I think he could be a good option. Probably win us a number of free kicks in the final third too, which will again be huge for us this year.
I'm just disappointed that Johnstone's first name is Denny and not Duncan, we could've had PJ and Duncan as the front two which would've made for some great memes.
Maybe we should sign a Duncan whether he can play or not.
In fairness to JD, he's probably got it right more often than he's got it wrong in his time here, so we need to show a bit of faith. Having said that, big Jones keeps giving me flashbacks to Calum Campbell.
Jones was/is far, far cheaper than Campbell ever was. #Shudder

Talking of Calum Campbell, a while ago my boss asked me if I remembered him playing for us. I'm not sure he was expecting me to say he'd been fucking useless during his time with us and a massive waste of money. Turns out he knows him quite well.

2 minutes ago, microdave said:

Talking of Calum Campbell, a while ago my boss asked me if I remembered him playing for us. I'm not sure he was expecting me to say he'd been fucking useless during his time with us and a massive waste of money. Turns out he knows him quite well.

Calum Campbell / Charlie Gibson,  same money! 

13 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

Calum Campbell / Charlie Gibson,  same money! 

Calum's sight suffered following a serious head knock while at Kilmarnock.It wasn't picked up  and he struggled except for a challenge cup tie vs St Johnsons where he scored a double.We still lost 4-2 .Works out at 25k a goal. not even messi is that expensive....

Calum's sight suffered following a serious head knock while at Kilmarnock.It wasn't picked up  and he struggled except for a challenge cup tie vs St Johnsons where he scored a double.We still lost 4-2 .Works out at 25k a goal. not even messi is that expensive....
I seem to recall he went on to become a very senior manager in a Scottish Health Authority.

2 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:
2 hours ago, lorenzo71 said:

I seem to recall he went on to become a very senior manager in a Scottish Health Authority.

https://healthandcare.scot/default.asp?page=story&story=173

If this is same Calum Campbell he has certainly done well for himself following his football career. Maybe would also be interested in buying a few lottery tickets!

Edited by Rising Sons
Spelling

26 minutes ago, gogsy said:

Quick question for Dumbarton fans, I was searching old newspapers from 1905 and the Dumbarton team in Scottish Combination for 1905/6 is described as a new club. Whats the story there, did the team that won the league in 1890/1 and 1891/2 become  defunct?

Not a new club but it may have something to do with them turning professional around that time????From being One of Scotland's leading clubs in the 1890s we very quickly deteriorated ,as a result of staying amateur,with our last SC final being in 1897.It's the only reason we are not rivalling the ugly sisters today  TBH 😎

46 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

Not a new club but it may have something to do with them turning professional around that time????From being One of Scotland's leading clubs in the 1890s we very quickly deteriorated ,as a result of staying amateur,with our last SC final being in 1897.It's the only reason we are not rivalling the ugly sisters today  TBH 😎

We were in Division 2 and may even have finished bottom or second bottom that season!

On 01/09/2020 at 19:15, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I really don’t know how I feel about that. I don’t hate it but I don’t love it either. 

On 01/09/2020 at 19:18, Mr November said:

Big Nat’s a decent midfielder at this level and probably quite a unique player too. Very strong, great technique and scored a couple of goals for us from set pieces but he’s also painfully slow, as soon as the ball is played over the top of him he’s out the game. He looked quite unfit at times earlier in the season but he seemed much sharper from January onwards, although even at that he was still the slowest man on the pitch. He’s not a bad replacement for Kyle Hutton, just less mobile. 

He was quite a strange player at Airdrie, some fans regarded him as one of our worst ever players, others thought he should be in the team every week. The truth is somewhere in the middle. His best games seemed to come against poorer opposition where we had more time on the ball, unfortunately his lack of pace means he can struggle to make an impact in higher tempo games. I do think that he’s quite a likeable player and I was disappointed things never really clicked for him at Airdrie.

I think Murray’s initial plan last season was to have Wedderburn sitting as the holding midfielder or in a midfield two with Kieran Millar. In theory that pairing could have worked quite well as Millar’s endless running and energy should have covered for Wedderburn’s lack of mobility but it never really translated onto the pitch. I think Carswell’s a better player  though so pairing him with Wedderburn might work better.

On 02/09/2020 at 09:19, Jan Vojáček said:

????????

Sam Wardrop Ryan McGeever Morgyn Neill Rico Quitongo

Ross Forbes Stuart Carswell Nat Wedderburn Stefan McCluskey

PJ Crossan Denny Johnstone

Looking alright on paper so far. What positions need strengthened (aside from the obvious lack of a 'keeper)? Ideally I'd like to see us bring in another creative midfielder/winger and forward. That aside (and assuming we're running with a small squad) I'd be relatively happy with things. We've got a bit of versatility in there; Carsy can fill in at RB or CB, Wedderburn at CB, Forbes at LB, Crossan and McCluskey can play up front or wide and Langan can really play anywhere. It's not ideal, but given the circumstances I'm far happier than I was this time last year. Wedderburn would've been a marquee signing 12 months ago!

On the big man he's always a player who has divided me. Sometimes he looked like a really classy passer of the ball who would dominate games and dictate the tempo. Other times he looked clumsy and immobile. Reading that back though the same could be said about Kyle Hutton - and they are both the same age - so fair play to Duffy for finding a similar (on paper) replacement for our POTY. I just hope he can play better with Carsy.

I agree with everything Mr November wrote. He very much divided opinion at Airdrie and I'm sure he'll be the same at Dumbarton. Some fans thought he was our best player, others thought he was one of the worst to ever wear a diamond. I was never a huge fan but didn't have the level of disdain for him that others did. 

Big Nat does have his uses. He's strong in the tackle and his size lends well to that part of the game. He's also, generally, very good at recycling the ball and retaining possession. I think though, some Airdrie fans were guilty of mistaking this as meaning he's some sort of midfield maestro. It's all very well and good playing aesthetically pleasing playstation esque passes 10 yards in any direction (which he does), but they never lead to anything. Would struggle to remember any goals Wedderburn was involved in bar the two he scored himself. As Mr November alluded to as well, he really struggles against the better sides in the league. Any side with even a little bit of dynamism in the midfield will just run over the top of him and even his accurate passing goes out the window under any sort of pressure. Our good run of form in October/November started almost literally when he got subbed off against Forfar and I don't think it was a coincidence. He can (relatively) stroll it against the shiter teams in the league though. It's a strange one as he's probably most naturally a holding midfielder but he's kind of too slow to play there or in defence now. Any ball over the top or in behind him and you're fucked. 

Based on what I've seen of both of them he's probably a decent like-for-like replacement for Kyle Hutton. Good enough to win a PotY award though? I'm not sure. I reckon he'll be 'fine' for you though TBH. 

12 hours ago, airdrieman said:

I agree with everything Mr November wrote. He very much divided opinion at Airdrie and I'm sure he'll be the same at Dumbarton. Some fans thought he was our best player, others thought he was one of the worst to ever wear a diamond. I was never a huge fan but didn't have the level of disdain for him that others did. 

Big Nat does have his uses. He's strong in the tackle and his size lends well to that part of the game. He's also, generally, very good at recycling the ball and retaining possession. I think though, some Airdrie fans were guilty of mistaking this as meaning he's some sort of midfield maestro. It's all very well and good playing aesthetically pleasing playstation esque passes 10 yards in any direction (which he does), but they never lead to anything. Would struggle to remember any goals Wedderburn was involved in bar the two he scored himself. As Mr November alluded to as well, he really struggles against the better sides in the league. Any side with even a little bit of dynamism in the midfield will just run over the top of him and even his accurate passing goes out the window under any sort of pressure. Our good run of form in October/November started almost literally when he got subbed off against Forfar and I don't think it was a coincidence. He can (relatively) stroll it against the shiter teams in the league though. It's a strange one as he's probably most naturally a holding midfielder but he's kind of too slow to play there or in defence now. Any ball over the top or in behind him and you're fucked. 

Based on what I've seen of both of them he's probably a decent like-for-like replacement for Kyle Hutton. Good enough to win a PotY award though? I'm not sure. I reckon he'll be 'fine' for you though TBH. 

Can't really disagree with any of this. Typical league 1 marmite player, some weeks (especially during a win) he'll look quality and you'll be deceived into thinking he was one of the best players on the pitch, similarly during a defeat he'll be the first one to get slaughtered. He's a league 1 player, that's a definite but he'll show glimpses of world cup passes and put himself about for 50/50 balls in and around himself.

He'll do a job, but your support will be absolutely divided on him.

2 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Can't really disagree with any of this. Typical league 1 marmite player, some weeks (especially during a win) he'll look quality and you'll be deceived into thinking he was one of the best players on the pitch, similarly during a defeat he'll be the first one to get slaughtered. He's a league 1 player, that's a definite but he'll show glimpses of world cup passes and put himself about for 50/50 balls in and around himself.

He'll do a job, but your support will be absolutely divided on him.

Are we 100% sure that Nat Wedderburn and Kyle Hutton are not the same person?

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Anyone got any serious rumours or do I need to search the PFA website and make one up?

Apparently McAdams is signing for Morton (was in the Record the other day) so maybe make something up linking us with another free agent keeper? I love getting a new 'keeper, it's one of my favourite things in football - until he turns out to be more Grant Adam than Alan Martin.

1 minute ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Apparently McAdams is signing for Morton (was in the Record the other day) so maybe make something up linking us with another free agent keeper? I love getting a new 'keeper, it's one of my favourite things in football - until he turns out to be more Grant Adam than Alan Martin.

I thought I might've struck it lucky with McAdams, ticks a lot of Duffy boxes.

Anyway, I've heard we're signing Kelby Mason.