Sons' sorrow

16 hours ago, lorenzo71 said:

Yep  I know you cannot broadcast in Scotland normally but overseas fans can.If East fife can afford to run it I think we should be able to as well.Think the support base is  similar more or less but i am not sure if there is more to it than that.There are a good number of SONS fans abroad who i am sure will welcome this development and indeed support it post-covid 19( assuming one day that is a reality)

East Fife have volunteers who run it, as far as I know, because they enjoy doing it.

The Pixellot system is different because its, in theory, unmanned but you still need someone to run it and, if you're going to do it properly, commentate.

29 minutes ago, super-son said:

Do you think that this is something we will keep in place after covid is gone and everything is back to normal?

From looking at their site, it looks as if it costs between $40-$90 per game to run the service. I don't know if that is the price we'll be paying but if it is, surely we could have say 10 viewers paying a tenner each to cover that per game.

The tech will still be there but its highly unlikely the restriction on broadcasting in the UK wont come back once crowds do. That means the only, legitimate, customers will be those outside the UK

48 minutes ago, super-son said:

Do you think that this is something we will keep in place after covid is gone and everything is back to normal?

From looking at their site, it looks as if it costs between $40-$90 per game to run the service. I don't know if that is the price we'll be paying but if it is, surely we could have say 10 viewers paying a tenner each to cover that per game.

Yes and remember away fans too who live abroad...a lot will pay to watch their club in action.I have in recent years paid DUNDEE, FALKIRK ,ST MIRREN AND EAST FIFE to watch Sons games while abroad.If costs are even 100 pound a game ..I am sure that will be covered easily enough and there are always people looking to volunteer at commentating.Whats more if it is sponsored then that could cover the costs of the game .

BBPF AND MOONSTER are chomping at the bit to have a go at commentating and I dare say will square-go anyone who jumps ahead of them in the queue.Would be a great idea to have fans commentate and maybe reminesce about games during commentary.Either way I am quite positive it will work and who knows when fans will be allowed back in any great numbers and if there are local lockdowns that could further inconvenience fans attending games.Its logical to put this in place and IMO is the best signing of the season so far.

17 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

Yes and remember away fans too who live abroad...a lot will pay to watch their club in action.I have in recent years paid DUNDEE, FALKIRK ,ST MIRREN AND EAST FIFE to watch Sons games while abroad.If costs are even 100 pound a game ..I am sure that will be covered easily enough and there are always people looking to volunteer at commentating.Whats more if it is sponsored then that could cover the costs of the game .

BBPF AND MOONSTER are chomping at the bit to have a go at commentating and I dare say will square-go anyone who jumps ahead of them in the queue.Would be a great idea to have fans commentate and maybe reminesce about games during commentary.Either way I am quite positive it will work and who knows when fans will be allowed back in any great numbers and if there are local lockdowns that could further inconvenience fans attending games.Its logical to put this in place and IMO is the best signing of the season so far.

I was only joking about commentary btw, you'd need to show the game after the watershed.

I have faith that our media team have this well covered, we have Jan and a few others who are well suited to the commentary gig and I'm sure they'll do a grand job.

2 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I was only joking about commentary btw, you'd need to show the game after the watershed.

I have faith that our media team have this well covered, we have Jan and a few others who are well suited to the commentary gig and I'm sure they'll do a grand job.

That's why i'm advocating you 2 do the commentary..a kind of OTB commentary with rich double entendres.

2 hours ago, GordyBrow said:

I rarely get across to Dumbarton from the east for a game but would gladly pay a reasonable price to watch the games from home. There must be plenty of others in my situation too...

Down here in England I know several Sons' fans who will pay to watch.

3 hours ago, lorenzo71 said:

Needs more random capitalisations imo.

3 hours ago, GordyBrow said:

I rarely get across to Dumbarton from the east for a game but would gladly pay a reasonable price to watch the games from home. There must be plenty of others in my situation too...

1 hour ago, Sons FC said:

Down here in England I know several Sons' fans who will pay to watch.

As has already been pointed out though, you won't be allowed to. When Covid restrictions on crowds are eventually lifted, the ban on streaming live games in the UK will be reinstated.

If you have the know how and Dumbarton make the service available to overseas viewers, you can use a proxy server to pretend to be overseas of course.

3 hours ago, Mr X said:

East Fife have volunteers who run it, as far as I know, because they enjoy doing it.

The Pixellot system is different because its, in theory, unmanned but you still need someone to run it and, if you're going to do it properly, commentate.

The tech will still be there but its highly unlikely the restriction on broadcasting in the UK wont come back once crowds do. That means the only, legitimate, customers will be those outside the UK

Is it an upfront cost for the equipment then?

4 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Yes, which has been covered by the SPFL. As far as I know, there will be a cost to clubs who want to continue to use it for streaming after the restrictions are lifted.

I see, that's pretty decent of them for a change.

I hope we do manage to keep the system for future use and they don't try and charge us an arm and a leg to keep it in place.

2 minutes ago, super-son said:

I see, that's pretty decent of them for a change.

I hope we do manage to keep the system for future use and they don't try and charge us an arm and a leg to keep it in place.

Yes and no. Its not being put in for clubs to stream games because of COVID, its been planned for a while. 

26 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Yes, which has been covered by the SPFL. As far as I know, there will be a cost to clubs who want to continue to use it for streaming after the restrictions are lifted.

AFAIK it has only been covered by the SPFL for Championship clubs.

League One and League Two clubs have had to purchase it themselves for the purposes of streaming, albeit on favourable terms secured as a consequence of the SPFL installing the system at Championship stadiums.

Just now, South Lanarkshire Jag said:

AFAIK it has only been covered by the SPFL for Championship clubs.

League One and League Two clubs have had to purchase it themselves for the purposes of streaming, albeit on favourable terms secured as a consequence of the SPFL installing the system at Championship stadiums.

Ah, ok. I didnt know that

6 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Awww shucks.

I won't say too much at the moment, but having other voices on co-comms is definitely something I'd be a fan of. I'd love to get ex-players/injured players involved too. 

We're sorted for a lead commentator and that was always going to be a big thing. It's an art form and one of these things that very few people have the knack for (I certainly don't think I do, I have the research side of a commentator but I couldn't do the job itself - despite that being what my dissertation was on). I'm very confident that we've got someone who has that knack and painstaking attention to detail though and I'm seriously looking forward to working with him again. Clue is on my Twitter for anyone interested

1 hour ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Awww shucks.

I won't say too much at the moment, but having other voices on co-comms is definitely something I'd be a fan of. I'd love to get ex-players/injured players involved too. 

We're sorted for a lead commentator and that was always going to be a big thing. It's an art form and one of these things that very few people have the knack for (I certainly don't think I do, I have the research side of a commentator but I couldn't do the job itself - despite that being what my dissertation was on). I'm very confident that we've got someone who has that knack and painstaking attention to detail though and I'm seriously looking forward to working with him again. Clue is on my Twitter for anyone interested

Aitkenarmy.JPG.6fed01e90ea896478524b871950ddf19.JPG

Awww shucks.
Piece of piss. I did Hospital Radio commentaries on Sons games home and away for the Vale Hospital in the late 1980's, including a post - match interview. Apparently during a Stranraer game an old lady in the geriatric ward who had been bedridden for four years got up and walked over to turn off the radio.