Sons' sorrow

3 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:
3 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:
It's all gone awfully quiet.  After the initial surge of signings things seem to have stalled a bit.  I know when it comes to Duffy there doesn't tend to be many rumours flying around regarding new signings so perhaps there may be a few in the pipeline.
PITK.

Signing up the core of the squad was probably the easier bit of the process, but I've become a bit concerned that Buster's departure may be connected to finances, and if it is then further player recruitment ain't gonna be at all easy. Does anyone know if in addition to the public crowdfunder and the James Anderson money there has been any significant business or corporate input ?

At least with testing being scrapped AFAIK  that will save the club further expense.I think the lack of signings is down to no training.I guess we will add 6 more therefore they have to be the right ones.Also some players may be loanees and they may only be released once those clubs know who they will need and who they can loan out.

4 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

It's all gone awfully quiet.  After the initial surge of signings things seem to have stalled a bit.  I know when it comes to Duffy there doesn't tend to be many rumours flying around regarding new signings so perhaps there may be a few in the pipeline.

PITK.

Clyde, Cove, Montrose and Peterhead also done very little in the way of new players. Sensibly I think, even if it's a nuisance.

At least with testing being scrapped AFAIK  that will save the club further expense.I think the lack of signings is down to no training.I guess we will add 6 more therefore they have to be the right ones.Also some players may be loanees and they may only be released once those clubs know who they will need and who they can loan out.
I had thought the club's needed testing once the league started...but not to commence training?

23 minutes ago, aftershocker said:
1 hour ago, lorenzo71 said:

I had thought the club's needed testing once the league started...but not to commence training?

All clubs out with the Premier League can restart training following strict training photocols,  twice weekly testing will commence on 14th September or before if clubs have full scale training. Matches or friendlies.

3 hours ago, Nowhereman said:

My understanding is that the club are considering allowing other teams to use the ground to get some finance in so the ground will need double the care. But not prepared to pay double or even any extra. We saw what happened the last time he left. And if they do have extra games on the pitch I reckon that March/April could be very busy Just like the halcyon days of 1970-1972 when we had multiple games in hand coming in to March

My understanding is you are half right ! Given we are only playing 13 games instead of 18 they are keen to allow other teams  to play and given the good condition the park was kept in by Buster, extra monies would have helped with some of the additional monies being spent on the park. 

2 hours ago, Passionate said:

All clubs out with the Premier League can restart training following strict training photocols,  twice weekly testing will commence on 14th September or before if clubs have full scale training. Matches or friendlies.

Thanks for clarification, Where did the 14th date come from is that an SPFL/SFA communication ? 

Out of interest ,do you think the twice weekly testing for part time teams will become a reality ? It seems incredibly unfair for football as a business that they have to test twice weekly when other professions don't test at all. What seems especially unfair is that many part time players could be medics, nurses, police, taxi drivers, working in supermarkets,barmen, teachers etc etc but do not need to get tested twice a week in those jobs. Is it the medical advice that's concerned about close contact and droplets etc  created during contact training ?   

14 minutes ago, Always the Sons said:

Thanks for clarification, Where did the 14th date come from is that an SPFL/SFA communication ? 

Out of interest ,do you think the twice weekly testing for part time teams will become a reality ? It seems incredibly unfair for football as a business that they have to test twice weekly when other professions don't test at all. What seems especially unfair is that many part time players could be medics, nurses, police, taxi drivers, working in supermarkets,barmen, teachers etc etc but do not need to get tested twice a week in those jobs. Is it the medical advice that's concerned about close contact and droplets etc  created during contact training ?   

The 14th September looks just like an agreed date to test from agreed between Gov and SPFLand possibly due to the fact that a number of teams have still to sort testing out.

The testing protocols  twice weekly, as you say Part Time players have a vast array of jobs out with the game is it required, possibly more so with such a variety of contact with people .....  Testing if done through the NHS system at present i think would be affordable,  Sturgeon has knocked this request back, as per FMQ last week, so it looks like al clubs will have to source private testing costing a fortune, which most cannot afford especially as I believe clubs in the new West of Scotland League basically the old Junior Super League who have joined the professional ranks one tier below the lowland league , do not have to test.   Is this fair why does Albion Rovers for example have to test twice week!y for the foreseeable future and fellow professional club Auckinleck Talbot  and pollok etc dont...

Only playing 13 instead of 18 won't make a difference pal. The 5 games in August and September don't even make a mark on the park. No walking in required. Then you add in the Betfred Cup games that are normally played in July and it puts even more stress on a pitch that is 2 months behind schedule. Add in something else that I'm not at liberty to say then I think the new groundsman needs to be a super hero. #justsaying.

My understanding is you are half right ! Given we are only playing 13 games instead of 18 they are keen to allow other teams  to play and given the good condition the park was kept in by Buster, extra monies would have helped with some of the additional monies being spent on the park. 

14 hours ago, Passionate said:

The 14th September looks just like an agreed date to test from agreed between Gov and SPFLand possibly due to the fact that a number of teams have still to sort testing out.

The testing protocols  twice weekly, as you say Part Time players have a vast array of jobs out with the game is it required, possibly more so with such a variety of contact with people .....  Testing if done through the NHS system at present i think would be affordable,  Sturgeon has knocked this request back, as per FMQ last week, so it looks like al clubs will have to source private testing costing a fortune, which most cannot afford especially as I believe clubs in the new West of Scotland League basically the old Junior Super League who have joined the professional ranks one tier below the lowland league , do not have to test.   Is this fair why does Albion Rovers for example have to test twice week!y for the foreseeable future and fellow professional club Auckinleck Talbot  and pollok etc dont...

Asking you, purely because you seem to know what you're on about - but is this the case for all sports?

For example a hockey club could play friendlies from September, but would they have to test? Or amateur rugby? And where is the line drawn with them? I can't see how it could be enforceable to say to Albion Rovers/Dumbarton/Airdrie or whoever that they need to test twice a week - but allow Clydebank, Pollok. Loch Lomond Hockey Club or Helensburgh Rugby Club to play without testing? 

It's still a few weeks away, but I feel like guidance is needed. And if it's to be mandatory testing then it has to be at all levels - unless there is any evidence to say an amateur/WoSFL team training twice a week are in less danger than a senior team.

I reckon self certifying will be the way forward. With strong sanctions for any players/clubs that ignore symptoms and continue to train.

2 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Asking you, purely because you seem to know what you're on about - but is this the case for all sports?

For example a hockey club could play friendlies from September, but would they have to test? Or amateur rugby? And where is the line drawn with them? I can't see how it could be enforceable to say to Albion Rovers/Dumbarton/Airdrie or whoever that they need to test twice a week - but allow Clydebank, Pollok. Loch Lomond Hockey Club or Helensburgh Rugby Club to play without testing? 

It's still a few weeks away, but I feel like guidance is needed. And if it's to be mandatory testing then it has to be at all levels - unless there is any evidence to say an amateur/WoSFL team training twice a week are in less danger than a senior team.

I reckon self certifying will be the way forward. With strong sanctions for any players/clubs that ignore symptoms and continue to train.

Funny you should mention that. There are rumours doing the rounds that the EIHL will cancel the 20/21 hockey season completely within the next few days. There is no way that UK hockey could absorb testing costs as well as reduced revenue from a significantly reduced crowd. Scottish rugby is a bit different as the SRU support Edinburgh and Glasgow financially. Unless there could be financial assistance from the SFA, SPFL or central government? I don't see many clubs able to support the same testing regime as top flight football. Top flight clubs will ask why they need to continue testing if lower league sides don't? Lower league sides will complain about the financial burden.

tbh I'm not sure that testing for domestic games is necessary. We would hopefully pick up any infected footballers through testing following the identification of Covid symptoms. Very few other areas of employment are insisting on routine testing for staff. Should football be a special case when you're just as likely to have close contact in hospitality industries or many retail environments? Particularly food and drink.

Maybe the way forward for sports is random testing in the same way as drug testing? Select 2 players from a team to turn up at a ground early and get tested prior to the game. If those players present positive tests then the game doesnt go ahead.

Edited by BallochSonsFan

The only thing that concerns me about all of this is the SG attitude towards football. They really do have a weird hardon for slapping football and its fans down. We just need to hope that everyone sees sense, but if the government make testing mandatory we won't have a season to watch, and potentially not a club to watch again. How many votes do you reckon keeping lower league sides alive is worth?

Where are you seeing that clubs in Lower tiers won't have to test? I don't think any decision has been made yet.

It's not going to be affordable long term at this level never mind further down the leagues.

2 hours ago, Jack Burton said:

Where are you seeing that clubs in Lower tiers won't have to test? I don't think any decision has been made yet.

It's not going to be affordable long term at this level never mind further down the leagues.

Are adults in the general population not allowed to play outdoor football as of today? They dont need tested to do so. Logically, pro football shouldnt need it either therefore. Requiring special measures to play before the public can is reasonable. Requiring special measures to do what you and I can do now is not. I fully expect the next pronouncement from the JRG to remove or at least significantly further reduce testing requirements. 

2 hours ago, Jack Burton said:

The SPFL game board only covers to the LL I think, below that is recreational football, no licence needed and different rules might apply.

17 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Are adults in the general population not allowed to play outdoor football as of today? They dont need tested to do so. Logically, pro football shouldnt need it either therefore. Requiring special measures to play before the public can is reasonable. Requiring special measures to do what you and I can do now is not. I fully expect the next pronouncement from the JRG to remove or at least significantly further reduce testing requirements. 

Lets hope so because there is no way our club can fulfill a season with twice weekly testing and no gates.The SG need to outline proposals and also I believe crowd control numbers done on a stadium by stadium basis.A blanket 30 % attendance might not work at all venues wheres some may be able to accomodate a higher number depending on stand size and terracing.

54 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

Lets hope so because there is no way our club can fulfill a season with twice weekly testing and no gates.The SG need to outline proposals and also I believe crowd control numbers done on a stadium by stadium basis.A blanket 30 % attendance might not work at all venues wheres some may be able to accomodate a higher number depending on stand size and terracing.

Whilst I agree that lower division clubs cant afford that, and probably wont need to unless there is a significant 2nd winter spike, they also didnt need to choose to play. The option to mothball for a season or half a season was there. If Scottish clubs chose to push ahead with a return anyway knowing the conditions potentially in place then I dont really think its the Scottish Govts problem per se to ensure they dont have to. I feel for club Boards. They were under pressure from their own fans, probably from their playing staff, certainly from the football authorities and the biggest clubs in each division pressured the smaller ones but if they do end up going pear shaped then they largely have themselves to blame.

23 hours ago, Dumbarton Rock said:

Only playing 13 instead of 18 won't make a difference pal. The 5 games in August and September don't even make a mark on the park. No walking in required. Then you add in the Betfred Cup games that are normally played in July and it puts even more stress on a pitch that is 2 months behind schedule. Add in something else that I'm not at liberty to say then I think the new groundsman needs to be a super hero. #justsaying.

2 hours ago, sons superhero said:

Did anyone else receive calls from the club last week. I wasn't able to answer so missed the two occasions it happened. 

Sons Superhero the new groundsman as predicted earlier by Dumbarton Rock?