Sons' sorrow

1 hour ago, Jan Vojáček said:

As those of you who rushed out to buy your copy on Tuesday morning will know, there's a fair bit of DFC stuff in this week's Lennox.

My chat with Stefan McCluskey is now up online, so give it a read and kill a few minutes of your Wednesday morning if you haven't already. He's very fired up about this season, and certainly honest about not being pleased with his own showings last year.

Glad he realised he didnt have a great season and here's hoping he ups his game for this one.Something to be said about having a settled squad and not overhauling year in year out.I can only hope that as a unit they will start to play better through time and familiarity.If you look at ST JOHNSTONE there squad is rarely overhauled but they consistently perform well given their budget/size.So lets hope that can be the case this season for us.

Peterhead and Partick away twice among 14 away games is a bit of a pisser. 

We have more than 9 midweeks available - is there any reason we couldn't attempt a full season of fixtures? Even if you left the midweek games until 2021 in the hope that the virus is all but gone by that time you'd still have enough time to fit the games in.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Peterhead and Partick away twice among 14 away games is a bit of a pisser. 

We have more than 9 midweeks available - is there any reason we couldn't attempt a full season of fixtures? Even if you left the midweek games until 2021 in the hope that the virus is all but gone by that time you'd still have enough time to fit the games in.

We also have more away games than home games.

On the bright side we only play Cove Rangers and Falkirk Away once.

Just seen this on the Falkirk thread. Quite interesting, although it doesn't take into account away support capacity.

IDK about “luckier”, I just muddled over the League One numbers in the same way I looked at the Championship schedule and it looks much less balanced over here. Using last year’s averages to position the teams average attendance 1-10, we end up with Falkirk, Thistle, Airdrie, Clyde, East Fife, Cove, Peterhead, Montrose, Dumbarton and Forfar. Now Cove might move above East Fife having moved up a division, but it’s a minor fudge.

Adding those numbers, and then dividing by the 4 or 5 games, we get the following average attendance positions...which is of course for home matches, but serves as a useful proxy for visiting fans totals (* means five home games in last nine, and yes, the longer drive for Peterhead is ignored):

Peterhead - 7.5

East Fife - 6.8*

Airdrie - 6.25

Falkirk - 6.2*

Cove - 5.8*

Clyde - 5.6*

Forfar - 5.4

Thistle - 5.0*

Montrose - 4.8

Dumbarton - 3.4

Of the lot, Peterhead seem to have clearly got the shaft, with East Fife a close second. Airdrie are similar to Falkirk but have one less home game, so are slightly more shafted. Thistle definitely got handled better, in the Championship, the five teams with the extra home game were all in the lowest six attendance averages. 

Just seen this on the Falkirk thread. Quite interesting, although it doesn't take into account away support capacity.

IDK about “luckier”, I just muddled over the League One numbers in the same way I looked at the Championship schedule and it looks much less balanced over here. Using last year’s averages to position the teams average attendance 1-10, we end up with Falkirk, Thistle, Airdrie, Clyde, East Fife, Cove, Peterhead, Montrose, Dumbarton and Forfar. Now Cove might move above East Fife having moved up a division, but it’s a minor fudge.

Adding those numbers, and then dividing by the 4 or 5 games, we get the following average attendance positions...which is of course for home matches, but serves as a useful proxy for visiting fans totals (* means five home games in last nine, and yes, the longer drive for Peterhead is ignored):

Peterhead - 7.5

East Fife - 6.8*

Airdrie - 6.25

Falkirk - 6.2*

Cove - 5.8*

Clyde - 5.6*

Forfar - 5.4

Thistle - 5.0*

Montrose - 4.8

Dumbarton - 3.4

Of the lot, Peterhead seem to have clearly got the shaft, with East Fife a close second. Airdrie are similar to Falkirk but have one less home game, so are slightly more shafted. Thistle definitely got handled better, in the Championship, the five teams with the extra home game were all in the lowest six attendance averages. 

What in the name of Kevin Vaughan does all that mean ?

Sent from my MotoG3 using Pie and Bovril mobile app

2 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

What in the name of Kevin Vaughan does all that mean ?

Sent from my MotoG3 using Pie and Bovril mobile app

I think...

1. Clubs ranked 1-10 on their average attendances last year. (Falkirk being the highest rank 1 and Forfar being lowest rank 10)

2. When you look at our home fixtures we get an average of 3.4 out of 10 (1 being the highest possible ie. playing Falkirk at home every game)

Meaning that in theory if capacity never came into it, we would have the highest amount of away fans visiting us this season.

That's what I've taken from it anyway. Might have totally misinterpreted.

I think...
1. Clubs ranked 1-10 on their average attendances last year. (Falkirk being the highest rank 1 and Forfar being lowest rank 10)
2. When you look at our home fixtures we get an average of 3.4 out of 10 (1 being the highest possible ie. playing Falkirk at home every game)
Meaning that in theory if capacity never came into it, we would have the highest amount of away fans visiting us this season.

That's what I've taken from it anyway. Might have totally misinterpreted.
OK thanks [emoji106]

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

I'm still none the wiser tbh.

To be honest now that I look at it, I think it's a load of rubbish haha.

I thought I understood what was going on but after trying to calculate it myself it doesn't add up.

10 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

Any signing news or rumours today?

Goalkeeper debate is needed.Scott Gallagher anyone?

The players extended contracts are up tomorrow, so I'm guessing that's when we might hear about who hasn't been offered a deal, or who has rejected an offer to go elsewhere.

Off the top of my head I make it: Conor Brennan, Lewis Crawford, Jai Quitongo, Kyle Hutton, Ryan Tierney, Jordan Pettigrew, Joe McKee, Isaac Layne and Callum Wilson who are out of contract tomorrow. 

If we assume that Jai (down south), Hutton (EK) and Layne (Peterhead) are indeed away then, from that list, the only two I'd have expected us to offer deals to would be Brennan and McKee (who we should be pushing the boat out to keep imo).

4 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

The players extended contracts are up tomorrow, so I'm guessing that's when we might hear about who hasn't been offered a deal, or who has rejected an offer to go elsewhere.

Off the top of my head I make it: Conor Brennan, Lewis Crawford, Jai Quitongo, Kyle Hutton, Ryan Tierney, Jordan Pettigrew, Joe McKee, Isaac Layne and Callum Wilson who are out of contract tomorrow. 

If we assume that Jai (down south), Hutton (EK) and Layne (Peterhead) are indeed away then, from that list, the only two I'd have expected us to offer deals to would be Brennan and McKee (who we should be pushing the boat out to keep imo).

I know he is a risk as he is injury prone but im upset at Isaac Layne moving on..I think Duffy got the best out of him and arguably injury aside he has had his best season ( in Scotland anyway) to date.

1 minute ago, lorenzo71 said:

I know he is a risk as he is injury prone but im upset at Isaac Layne moving on..I think Duffy got the best out of him and arguably injury aside he has had his best season ( in Scotland anyway) to date.

Layne is such a strange one. Last season was, by some distance, the best of his career - and Duffy's no-nonsense style certainly got the best out of him.

You just never knew what you were going to get though. For every poacher's performance at Montrose in August or all-action bulldozer showing against Falkirk there would be week after week where he looked clumsy, won little in the air and games totally passed him by. His goals very much came in spells too; none in his first four appearances, six in his next five games, nothing for six, three in three and then none in six again. 

Personally I'm not too fussed about losing him. We thought he was a bizarre and mental signing, he did a good job for the most part and now he's moving on. He's 25 and his next club will be the 12th of his career - and I'd imagine this time next year he'll be looking for club 13. That just seems to be the way he works. I was far more upset about losing Calum Gallagher last summer than I am about losing Isaac Layne.

Spoiler

I reserve the right to take this all back when he bangs in 24 goals for Peterhead next season, whilst our top scorer has six.

Yeah there are plenty of options out there especially in the loan market but I like it when we get the most out of players who supposedly are done.Hes a maverick no doubt but i think maybe be staying around for 2 years with the same club could potentially help him.