Sons' sorrow

Dropping that news when I was almost done with the sports pages and ready to clock off on a Friday afternoon wasn't what I was after DFC. 

Anyway, got Jim just there - and here's a wee extract of what he had to say. Full interview in next week's Lennox. Please buy it and find out lots of exciting stuff.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/breaking-jim-duffy-commits-future-22373383

5 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Dropping that news when I was almost done with the sports pages and ready to clock off on a Friday afternoon wasn't what I was after DFC. 

We do try our best for you, but life can't always be perfectly scheduled! ;) 

Never realised that next season is 27 games rather than the normal amount (36 I believe) Here’s the question - will the season ticket cost change to reflect this amount of games or stay around the same price as last season?

I wouldn’t mind paying the same as last season, I know it would mean the cost per game goes up but if it’s another way to give the club money then happy to do so. 

5 hours ago, Sons Fan said:

Never realised that next season is 27 games rather than the normal amount (36 I believe) Here’s the question - will the season ticket cost change to reflect this amount of games or stay around the same price as last season?

I wouldn’t mind paying the same as last season, I know it would mean the cost per game goes up but if it’s another way to give the club money then happy to do so. 

The price will be adjusted, of course.  Announcements will be made as soon as possible. (We've mentioned the 27 games in all the web articles on STs, and in various other ones, too.)

The FAQ will be up shortly... just making sure we've got all the main questions covered.

Cheers! 

It says a lot about the last few months that I am absolutely rock hard at the thought of a midweek Betfred Cup match against Edinburgh City.

In all seriousness though, was there any chat at board room levels about just binning the Betfred Cup? It's just such a pish cup these days I'd rather do without it and play more league games.

The good thing about the cup is the chance to play teams we haven't played for years like Motherwell/Kilmarnock and playing somone new like Spartans but our chances of progress are so low that I'm not sure it is worth it. 

5 hours ago, The Moonster said:

It says a lot about the last few months that I am absolutely rock hard at the thought of a midweek Betfred Cup match against Edinburgh City.

In all seriousness though, was there any chat at board room levels about just binning the Betfred Cup? It's just such a pish cup these days I'd rather do without it and play more league games.

I thought they might have used the shortened season as an excuse to go back to the knockout format. Novelty of the group stages has pretty much worn off and I imagine most managers would be relieved if they had 3 less games where they can't feature trialists during pre-season.

I'd like to see the cups revamped. The group stage of the Betfred is largely worthless. The smaller sides struggle and we can't play trialists. At least if we could use it to get a look at players we were interested in signing then it would serve some kind of purpose for us. The group games typically come so early that crowds aren't too healthy and most see it as an extension of pre-season.

With the collapse of the Scottish Juniors, I'd also like to see the lower league cup remove the Irish and English sides and dump the colts teams. Include the new West of Scotland sides as well as the highland and lowland league teams and make it a proper lower league tournament.

Midweek games in Oct/Nov makes me anything but rock hard [emoji3064]

Can't understand this as I for one, love the romance of the Betfred Cup [emoji848]

23 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I’m not a fan of the league cup at all but I’d imagine the potential for a pay day is higher than playing regular league fixtures. Couldn’t really care less about the outcome so one of the bigger teams away with a TV slot would be ideal for us. 

Its not just a potential pay day its the sponsorship money. I think we get something in the region of £15/20,000 just for participating and that goes up depending on how high up the group we finish. Not being allowed to play trialists is just stupid though given that the whole point of the groups was to replace pre-season.