Sons' sorrow

1 hour ago, McGarci said:

any news about signing o re-signing?

if the last season the team was built the last week of pre-season, this year the global-crisis who knows....

Jim Duffy has said it'll possibly be another 4 or 5 weeks before he can start doing that (assuming we cant commit to starting in October).

1 hour ago, McGarci said:

any news about signing o re-signing?

if the last season the team was built the last week of pre-season, this year the global-crisis who knows....

Funny you should say that...Spoke to Jim Duffy last week - and here's what he had to say...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/dumbarton-manager-jim-duffy-admits-22220517.amp

Jim Duffy has said it'll possibly be another 4 or 5 weeks before he can start doing that (assuming we cant commit to starting in October).

Did you mean ‘can’ commit to starting in October? Because if we can’t we might be relegated according to today’s reports

It's a tricky one. On the face of it I'd only be inclined to commit to an October start if I could get reasonable comfort that supporters attending matches would follow imminently. Otherwise hibernate and accept the relegation risk.

I suppose another concern is a pincer movement from the usual suspects to bring forward the colts proposal again and replace hibernating teams. We ought to be wary of that. 

Edited by George Parr
Adding colts info.

On restart issues, signings etc (the subject of a number of recent posts). This is what we can say right now. https://www.dumbartonfootballclub.com/news/?mode=view&id=4448. Not as much as you or we would like, but it's where things are and there's no point pretending otherwise. 

More on what is going on to prepare for a new season soon, however... Though of course it all depends on what gets decided, something in which we are one voice among a number. 

Behind closed doors isn't really an option. Fans could perhaps absorb the costs via the season ticket for a couple of games but lower league football needs fans through the gates. Could we restart with no away fans and use the whole of the stand to socially distance the home crowd? Certainly an option but one with a financial penalty that would potentially be a burden on us. If major leagues run the 20/21 season offering virtual season tickets then there's a significant risk that fans would be tempted to stay away. Then there's the age profile of our fan base - even if we could get fans in the ground, how many of the Dumbarton support are currently shielding because of age or health concerns? I know that returning to a football ground is something Id need to think about with my mum's health in mind. Face coverings, sanitising stations and a shower/change of clothing after a game may reduce the risk but I wonder how many people wouldn't be able to expose themselves or a vulnerable family member to increased risk?

This has a very long way to go before the lower leagues can even think about returning.

7 hours ago, BallochSonsFan said:

This has a very long way to go before the lower leagues can even think about returning.

We're already thinking about it (very hard) at DFC, and in conversation with others. You'll hear more about this soon. But you are absolutely right to identify these huge challenges. No-one should pretend that this will be easy or quick... and the difficulty is magnified for smaller clubs. So we remain realistic, but also as positive as we possibly can be...

26 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

If schools can reopen normally in August, I'll need a very good explanation as to why football with fans can't start then either.

Assuming we follow the Championship and start in October then I agree. Maybe under a season ticket holders only, no away fans policy initially. I appreciate there's a whole lot that has to go on to make things safe between now and then - but I'd like to think it will be safe in four months time for 400 odd people at the Rock, Links Park or wherever to watch a game. I can't see how that is any more dangerous than going into Aldi.

Obviously it'll be more difficult for bigger clubs, but given we probably have our stadium at about 40% capacity on a very good day - then I don't think social distancing should be too difficult to maintain.

3 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Assuming we follow the Championship and start in October then I agree. Maybe under a season ticket holders only, no away fans policy initially. I appreciate there's a whole lot that has to go on to make things safe between now and then - but I'd like to think it will be safe in four months time for 400 odd people at the Rock, Links Park or wherever to watch a game. I can't see how that is any more dangerous than going into Aldi.

Obviously it'll be more difficult for bigger clubs, but given we probably have our stadium at about 40% capacity on a very good day - then I don't think social distancing should be too difficult to maintain.

For the schools to open without restrictions, infections need to be at pretty much zero. Devi Sridhar (SG advisor) says at that point we can return to "normal" life like New Zealand have, as long as we keep a tight grip on infections coming in from overseas and track and trace does it's job. You'd like to think if we're going ahead in October after hopefully two months of the infections being at ~zero then I'd be hopeful of returning to the football without any overbearing social distancing. New Zealand had full crowds at the rugby within a week of them lifting lockdown. I know they've had a wee burst of infections since then but they're showing the way to deal with this.

I agree completely that worst case scenario we should be looking at playing games with no away fans and restricted home fans. Barring any monumental f**k up from government in hammering the virus down, of course. 

For the schools to open without restrictions, infections need to be at pretty much zero. Devi Sridhar (SG advisor) says at that point we can return to "normal" life like New Zealand have, as long as we keep a tight grip on infections coming in from overseas and track and trace does it's job. You'd like to think if we're going ahead in October after hopefully two months of the infections being at ~zero then I'd be hopeful of returning to the football without any overbearing social distancing. New Zealand had full crowds at the rugby within a week of them lifting lockdown. I know they've had a wee burst of infections since then but they're showing the way to deal with this.
I agree completely that worst case scenario we should be looking at playing games with no away fans and restricted home fans. Barring any monumental f**k up from government in hammering the virus down, of course. 
A 'Click-And-Collect' pie and Coke at half-time is a mouthwatering prospect. Another twenty seven games watching Stef McCluskey almost produce something isnae.

14 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

A 'Click-And-Collect' pie and Coke at half-time is a mouthwatering prospect. Another twenty seven games watching Stef McCluskey almost produce something isnae.

I'd take watching Graham Connell right now, in all honesty.

Do our finances work with only home fans? Don't we need PATG and away fans?

5 hours ago, The Moonster said:

If schools can reopen normally in August, I'll need a very good explanation as to why football with fans can't start then either.

There will be pubs cinemas etc as well as the schools so would defo expect football to be back as u say   

4 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

How many do you normally get? If you were breaking even, how will the shortfall be covered? This could be asked if any club to be fair, but that just sounds like a slower death than BCD, unless the budget is cut accordingly...You might get a game!