Sons' sorrow

2 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I see Montrose have re-signed 9 players, and whilst I realise that this is currently an extremely difficult time for DFC I would still hope that contingencies and plans are being drawn up, and more importantly the football side of the club is actively being discussed between the DFC Board and Jim Duffy.

Right now nobody knows how and when the game is going to restart but we have been very slow to react over the last couple of seasons, and that was in 'normal' times, and the effects filtered well into the season. We would want to avoid that again, so a proactive approach would make sense.

Montrose have 18 signed up.

East Fife have 16 signed up.

Reading the questions and answers posted earlier we should have at least the guts of £50K there. I get we don't know when games will start but if clubs like Montrose and East Fife are capable of signing almost a full squad I'm struggling to see why we can't be at least arranging pre-contract deals.

Edited by The Moonster

1 hour ago, optimistic said:

Have all our playing staff, bar Ross forbes, contracts ended? Would players sign a contract, that wouldn’t start paying until the season starts? Surely they’d be glad of a bit of security at a club for the foreseeable??

1 hour ago, Boghead ranter said:

Surely they could sign a pre-contract ?

If your competitors are offering deals that start paying straight away, and you're not, it wont be much of a choice for most players surely?

6 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

So how are East Fife affording to pay a full squad with no income?

There was some discussion that they had business interruption insurance cover for events such as the present pandemic. No idea if the insurers have agreed to underwrite their claim though. Failing that, Ms Twigg will see them right.

34 minutes ago, lionel wickson said:

There was some discussion that they had business interruption insurance cover for events such as the present pandemic. No idea if the insurers have agreed to underwrite their claim though. Failing that, Ms Twigg will see them right.

Yeah cause Ms Twigg has been well known for putting cash into us...

19 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I see Montrose have re-signed 9 players, and whilst I realise that this is currently an extremely difficult time for DFC I would still hope that contingencies and plans are being drawn up, and more importantly the football side of the club is actively being discussed between the DFC Board and Jim Duffy.

Right now nobody knows how and when the game is going to restart but we have been very slow to react over the last couple of seasons, and that was in 'normal' times, and the effects filtered well into the season. We would want to avoid that again, so a proactive approach would make sense.

Noticing quite a few clubs starting to announce new deals. As it stands we don’t even have the gaffer signed up for next season.

I wouldn’t want to see the club do anything daft financially but I think we need to start thinking about getting some of the basics done, mostly getting a manager sorted at the very least. I’d hate to see us left scrambling for the scraps, much like we had to do last season. I’d actually be quite happy to see the core of last season’s team being kept on but if they start to get offered deals from elsewhere it would be hard to blame them for taking them. 

I'm not too worried about is not having anyone signed up.

Nobody has any idea when everything is going to be back up and running and pre contracts mean next to nothing anyway. How many times have players signed a precontract and then ended up elsewhere.

As long as the club and Jim Duffy have an understanding and trust each other then it should work out fine.

I would hate for the club to start signing a full squad up only for it to hurt us financially because maybe the season doesn't start until later next year.

Just saw the new tops are £42 a pop. Thought that was a bit on the high side but upon checking it seems that's what we charged for last seasons tops too. I get we need to maximise profits but I can buy our home top from Joma's website for £17 and stick a badge on it myself. Not that I would do that as I don't have the energy, but the cost seems high for an off the shelf effort.

Would like to see the top with the sponsor on it too before deciding if I want one.

5 minutes ago, super-son said:

I'm not too worried about is not having anyone signed up.

Nobody has any idea when everything is going to be back up and running and pre contracts mean next to nothing anyway. How many times have players signed a precontract and then ended up elsewhere.

As long as the club and Jim Duffy have an understanding and trust each other then it should work out fine.

I would hate for the club to start signing a full squad up only for it to hurt us financially because maybe the season doesn't start until later next year.

We don’t need to sign a full squd but having a manager in place and having a few of our more important players agreeing deals would be a decent starting platform. As it stands it wouldn’t be pre contracts they are signing, it would be their actual contract. I agree it would be foolish of us to have 18 bodies agreeing deals when we don’t know when the season will start but we need to think about making moves IMO.

38 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Noticing quite a few clubs starting to announce new deals. As it stands we don’t even have the gaffer signed up for next season.

I wouldn’t want to see the club do anything daft financially but I think we need to start thinking about getting some of the basics done, mostly getting a manager sorted at the very least. I’d hate to see us left scrambling for the scraps, much like we had to do last season. I’d actually be quite happy to see the core of last season’s team being kept on but if they start to get offered deals from elsewhere it would be hard to blame them for taking them. 

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

Just saw the new tops are £42 a pop. Thought that was a bit on the high side but upon checking it seems that's what we charged for last seasons tops too. I get we need to maximise profits but I can buy our home top from Joma's website for £17 and stick a badge on it myself. Not that I would do that as I don't have the energy, but the cost seems high for an off the shelf effort.

Would like to see the top with the sponsor on it too before deciding if I want one.

St JohnSons is back, as our fans are literally saying these exact same things.

Our clubs argument for kit prices are it's better to sell four tops at £50 than eight at £20.

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Our clubs argument for kit prices are it's better to sell four tops at £50 than eight at £20.

I fully understand things are a bit different at Dumbarton, we don't really sell many tops so it's hard to get the price at the right level to get the most out of it. I just think when you've told fans that a cheap option was selected it becomes harder to justify nearly £50 for it. That retro top business seems to have taken off as well, they aren't charging as much for replicas of older, more unique tops. Something we need to think about in the future IMO.

5 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

In the very short term it is better. But if you view the selling of club merchandise  as a way of marketing the club and building brand awareness the more units you sell the better. It’s a fine balance.

Edited by C'mon_the_Sons
Added in a word

I think folk should stop moaning about the price of the strips . Who cares if it's an off the shelf top or if it's some other brand .   It's our clubs top , if you can afford it then buy it and show your colours . Folk want everything for free !  It's about supporting our club in anyway we can , so we can continue to  have a club to support , money in the bank in order to offer wages to players and staff .  

I think if we can get the key players signed up again and the back bone of the team committed to next season , whenever that will be , again players want to be playing regularly and have some security in terms of having a team when football kicks off again . 

We had a good outfit last season   , give or take a couple of players to strengthen the out fit I think we'd have a good crack at it this coming season 

25 minutes ago, OKsons2020 said:

I think folk should stop moaning about the price of the strips . Who cares if it's an off the shelf top or if it's some other brand .   It's our clubs top , if you can afford it then buy it and show your colours . Folk want everything for free !  It's about supporting our club in anyway we can , so we can continue to  have a club to support , money in the bank in order to offer wages to players and staff .  

I think if we can get the key players signed up again and the back bone of the team committed to next season , whenever that will be , again players want to be playing regularly and have some security in terms of having a team when football kicks off again . 

We had a good outfit last season   , give or take a couple of players to strengthen the out fit I think we'd have a good crack at it this coming season 

Sheesh....... who shat in your kettle?!

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

I fully understand things are a bit different at Dumbarton, we don't really sell many tops so it's hard to get the price at the right level to get the most out of it. I just think when you've told fans that a cheap option was selected it becomes harder to justify nearly £50 for it. That retro top business seems to have taken off as well, they aren't charging as much for replicas of older, more unique tops. Something we need to think about in the future IMO.

Is it not nearer to £40 though?

I don't want to piss on anyone's parade but we really need to improve on last season's squad. If the 14/10/10/10 proposal goes through this week then Raith, Thistle and Falkirk will not be in our division and it becomes much more winnable. However, retaining too many of the current squad risks placing us behind EF, Montrose, Clyde, Airdrie and quite possibly Cove. Some hard calls needed.

2 hours ago, OKsons2020 said:

Where has anyone posted that they want replica strips (Or any merchandise) for free? 

Feel free to quote examples, otherwise we might just think you're a bit of a knob.

Edited by Boghead ranter