Sons' sorrow

11 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Thanks for your reminder - now posted on the Divison Two forum.  Disappointngly, the Colt Club threat doesn't seem to have merited a thread on the Championship forum

The premier one is very active and generally dead against it thankfully 

I said it on Twitter, but that Sonstrust statement is absolutely outstanding. Nails it. It made me want to pull on a Sons top, wrap up my scarf and charge down Castle Road like some sort of Dumbarton version of Braveheart.

On 06/06/2020 at 19:13, BallochSonsFan said:

The colt team proposal from Rangers is one I'd really hate to see happening.

They're suggesting 4 years of payments, ranging from £100k+ in year 1 to £50k in year 4. They'll pay for 200 tickets at £15 each. Essentially it's  a £3000 bung per club, per season. If they decide to webcast a game then its an extra £1000.

So anything between £3000 and £6000 per season by year 4 and then £3000 per season after that - until they decide to stop taking a guaranteed 200 tickets - for the lower leagues to sell our soul. It's an absolutely resounding no from me. I'd be angry to see clubs sell their souls for £3000 a year until the big 2 get fed up.

In the grand scheme of things its chickenfeed that they are offeruing and as usual treat Lower league clubs like the dregs they believe us to be.This also shows up PROJECT BRAVE for the pile of shite that it is.Scottish Football will not progress unless the authorities stop obsessing over those 2.

My concern with this latest Colts reincarnation is that there seems to a real media push this time round. Just about every BBC Scotland sports tweet mentions it and the papers seem to be onside this columns supporting it.  Is this because it's Rangers 'idea'? 

All seem to have the theme that it's lower league clubs holding Scottish football back.  Quite how our sub £100k a year from the SFA is somehow stopping Rangers developing the next Messi is anyone's guess. 

It's almost as though rangers have seen the success of the vote fiasco in distracting from their abysmal season last year and thought they'll continue with the blame game....

9 minutes ago, PWL said:

My concern with this latest Colts reincarnation is that there seems to a real media push this time round. Just about every BBC Scotland sports tweet mentions it and the papers seem to be onside this columns supporting it.  Is this because it's Rangers 'idea'? 

All seem to have the theme that it's lower league clubs holding Scottish football back.  Quite how our sub £100k a year from the SFA is somehow stopping Rangers developing the next Messi is anyone's guess. 

It's almost as though rangers have seen the success of the vote fiasco in distracting from their abysmal season last year and thought they'll continue with the blame game....

It's not even just round the reconstruction, look at the names who have been in the press over the last few weeks suggesting that part time clubs are the problem with Scottish football -  Charlie Nicholas, Gordon Strachan, Ann Budge (in previous years) and now Keith Jackson is spewing out this "part time clubs holding us back" patter. It's a concerted effort to change the narrative, it's not just pot luck that these fucking wallopers are trotted out at the same time with the same message.

I'm done with debate over this and tbh it's not deserving of debate, I hereby offer all of them a square go. Especially that wee fucking munchkin Budge.

Totally changing the subject for a minute, but tomorrow's Lennox features a huge interview with Mick Dunlop on the challenges associated with being the captain after Gordon Lennon, his time at the Rock and why he thinks he was punted in 2010 - despite being our skipper and winning a few POTY awards.

Big Mick was a great talker and I thoroughly enjoyed how open he was about everything. He also seems to remember every single game he's ever played in - which is something I love.

Pick it up if you can. Despite this being a difficult time for a sports reporter with no live sport, I'm really enjoying getting to speak to players past and present in a bit more detail than I would usually - and I hope you guys are too. 

Edited by Jan Vojáček

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Ewan Murray now trotting the line that small clubs are clogging up the pyramid and offer nothing. 

This is an organised effort from the Old Firm, make no mistake about it.

There was a line in the Sunday Mail yesterday from Brian Reid saying something along the lines of "If Rangers and Celtic played tiddlywinks then fans would turn up." 

I understand the thinking, but that just isn't true. I've been to plenty of Reserve/U20s games at Murray Park - which are free entry and open to the public, and you maybe get about 150 there on a good day. You know, a similar number to a team like the Vale on a decent day. One of my best pals covers Rangers woman quite often - and they have barely anyone turning up either, despite the fact they play at New Tinto which is about 10 minutes from Ibrox.

Old Firm fans are interested in the Old Firm first teams. Just as I only went to a handful of Sons reserves games when we had a one - and even a couple of them were at Auchenhowie because as I could walk to it! (We won 2-0).

23 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

There was a line in the Sunday Mail yesterday from Brian Reid saying something along the lines of "If Rangers and Celtic played tiddlywinks then fans would turn up." 

I understand the thinking, but that just isn't true. I've been to plenty of Reserve/U20s games at Murray Park - which are free entry and open to the public, and you maybe get about 150 there on a good day. You know, a similar number to a team like the Vale on a decent day. One of my best pals covers Rangers woman quite often - and they have barely anyone turning up either, despite the fact they play at New Tinto which is about 10 minutes from Ibrox.

Old Firm fans are interested in the Old Firm first teams. Just as I only went to a handful of Sons reserves games when we had a one - and even a couple of them were at Auchenhowie because as I could walk to it! (We won 2-0).

They're all c***s, they know they are spreading lies but do it anyway.

On a separate note, I see you have Jai Quitongo as "released" in the Summer Transfer Thread - did I miss that announcement?

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

They're all c***s, they know they are spreading lies but do it anyway.

On a separate note, I see you have Jai Quitongo as "released" in the Summer Transfer Thread - did I miss that announcement?

I'm don't know if it's that or just a blatant lack of knowledge. It's easy to say that people will flock to games wherever Rangers or Celtic are even vaguely involved - but maybe he doesn't realise that the options are already there...and very few people go. 

Someone didn't pick up a Lennox a few weeks ago 😉

Screenshot_20200608-133503_2.thumb.png.8359f51bb53788775b7f016fbc9744a0.png

1 minute ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I'm don't know if it's that or just a blatant lack of knowledge. It's easy to say that people will flock to games wherever Rangers or Celtic are even vaguely involved - but maybe he doesn't realise that the options are already there...and very few people go. 

Someone didn't pick up a Lennox a few weeks ago 😉

Screenshot_20200608-133503_2.thumb.png.8359f51bb53788775b7f016fbc9744a0.png

I'm of the opinion that these folk know exactly the numbers that turn up for these sorts of games but still trot out their pish anyway.

You are correct, I didn't, I'm still bitter about my banning :P reading that, good luck to him but I get the feeling we might see him up here again sooner rather than later.

2 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I'm of the opinion that these folk know exactly the numbers that turn up for these sorts of games but still trot out their pish anyway.

You are correct, I didn't, I'm still bitter about my banning :P reading that, good luck to him but I get the feeling we might see him up here again sooner rather than later.

It's incredibly frustrating but you're probably correct. Or they do it because they want to keep up a good relationship with the OF clubs - even if supporting this means they can wave bye to any hopes of getting the next Aidan Wilson or Liam Burt in on loan.

Delighted that someone identified you as the troublemaker you are and weeded you out nice and early so you didn't bother me 😉 I agree. He needs a solid season under his belt. If he was to stick with us (or heck anyone in League One or the Championship) make 35 appearances and bang in 15 goals then he'd be in a good position for a move. As it is I can see him having a similar career to his old man. Plenty of talent - but about 147 different clubs where he's never quite made the most of it.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Ewan Murray now trotting the line that small clubs are clogging up the pyramid and offer nothing. 

This is an organised effort from the Old Firm, make no mistake about it.

Given how few players the OF have brought through in recent years, it's little short of shameful. Celtic have done more than Rangers - Tierney and McGregor being chief amongst them. Armstrong was Dundee United. Christie was Caley Thistle and a loan at Aberdeen. Colt teams would do nothing on their own to improve the quality of Scottish football. The problems start at youth level and continue all the way to the lack of first team opportunities at some clubs and the tendency of promising players to move for more money offered by lower league English sides rather than continuing their development at home. I can absolutely see fans walking away if Colt teams are admitted. Filling as high as tier 2 with 2 or more Colt teams that can't progress any higher is hardly doing anything to support ambitious teams who may be able in time to become competitive tier 2 sides. Its the very opposite of encouraging ambition and progression. Project Brave is another idea that has been a monumental failure - one which gave far too much importance to a handful of club youth systems at the expense of the well being of the rest of Scottish football.

It's a farce and must be opposed. 

26 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

It's incredibly frustrating but you're probably correct. Or they do it because they want to keep up a good relationship with the OF clubs - even if supporting this means they can wave bye to any hopes of getting the next Aidan Wilson or Liam Burt in on loan.

Delighted that someone identified you as the troublemaker you are and weeded you out nice and early so you didn't bother me 😉 I agree. He needs a solid season under his belt. If he was to stick with us (or heck anyone in League One or the Championship) make 35 appearances and bang in 15 goals then he'd be in a good position for a move. As it is I can see him having a similar career to his old man. Plenty of talent - but about 147 different clubs where he's never quite made the most of it.

I'd be quite happy if we could avoid the next Aidan Wilson or Liam Burt.

I would’ve liked to have seen what Jai could do with a full pre season and some fitness under his belt. I can’t say I was hugely impressed with what I saw from him in his short stint but it’s perhaps harsh to judge him on that based on his lack of match fitness. 

I’d be surprised if he’s able to get a good deal down there based on his last couple of years of football (or lack of it).

7 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I would’ve liked to have seen what Jai could do with a full pre season and some fitness under his belt. I can’t say I was hugely impressed with what I saw from him in his short stint but it’s perhaps harsh to judge him on that based on his lack of match fitness. 

I’d be surprised if he’s able to get a good deal down there based on his last couple of years of football (or lack of it).

The lad could’ve done worse and stayed and try to get a run of games under his belt as I don’t think he will be in real high demand anywhere as last few season have been a bit all over the place for him

what about Rico he away to QOS ? 

Edited by Derry

34 minutes ago, Derry said:

The lad could’ve done worse and stayed and try to get a run of games under his belt as I don’t think he will be in real high demand anywhere as last few season have been a bit all over the place for him

what about Rico he away to QOS ? 

Where did you hear that about Rico? I’d be far more disappointed to lose him tbh.

4 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Where did you hear that about Rico? I’d be far more disappointed to lose him tbh.

Wasn’t wanting to start a rumour mate lol had spoke to someone and they had mentioned it but he’s got about a 50/50 ratio so I wouldn’t worry to much maybe he was assuming as Rico was at QOS in pre season or maybe he was full of it lol I do agree with u that by the look of it he would’ve been a far greater loss than his brother but my opinion would be he should stay and get more games as last season was really his first at first team level 

and the the irony is not lost on me that while writing that I more or less have started a rumour 🤦🏻‍♂️😂

Edited by Derry