Sons' sorrow

You would be right in saying that.
He came in and was pretty dreadful to begin with, he played like a guy with absolutely no confidence whatsoever after a disastrous time at St Mirren - but really came onto a game towards the end of the season. He was excellent in the cup final and I was sad to see him move on. I'm not sure every Sons fan would've felt the same as me though...although given Grant Adam came next then we were all pining for him back pretty early in 2018/19.
He can look clumsy and awkward, and he's the type of keeper who always looks like he has a mistake in him, if that makes sense? Confidence is huge for him. If he makes a mistake then he'll look shaky for a good wee while after that, but when he's playing well he's capable of pulling off some smashing stops - even if he does like a bit awkward and unconvincing doing it. He's like a goalkeeper version of Calum Gallagher - can be very effective, but not especially pretty and a bit unorthodox.
I'd imagine he'll be back up for you guys (assuming Gaston is staying?) and I'd imagine he'll be solid enough at that. 

Yeah Gaston is signed up for next season, so to begin with at least Gallacher will be back up. I imagine he’s probably as good a keeper you can get who’ll be willing to potentially spend a whole season on the bench.

Wasn't keen on Gallacher but we've not exactly been blessed between the sticks since he left.

Had actually crossed my mind whilst I was asking about Gallacher if you might make a move for Darren Jamieson. Would be a good addition for any team in league one

And, as if by magic, the OF colts nonsense rears its ugly head again. I can only hope this is just more tabloid fishing nonsense. 

I'd want nothing to do with it and would hope the club would be against it too.  The Irn Bru Cup boycott showed just how unpopular an idea it is. 

Gallagher is very much a confidence player. He's usually good for one mistake per game. A switched on defence can cope with that but sometimes his mistakes end up as howlers and they cost you. He's a decent shot stopper at our level. If he's confident and focused then he's fine. Getting the right defence in front of him that will help him settle is key.

As for Hutton, if EK can give him a degree of certainty with a contract offer then I wouldn't be surprised to see him take it and I'd wish him well for the future. He's much maligned at times because he doesnt do anything that's eye catching. He's not there to make Hollywood passes or score goals from midfield. He's there to break up play, to win the ball and use it or to offer himself to teammates to retain possession and he does the job well. Fans tend to realise what guys like Kyle Hutton do for your team when you don't have them on the park.

Edited by BallochSonsFan

Colour me surprised that Aitken is running his mouth in the press. I’m not surprised he’s already looking like he will be splashing some serious Lowland League cash either, his favourite excuse with us was that he was operating with a shoestring budget when in reality he was operating with a budget akin to the teams around us, he wont even be able to hid behind that lie this time around if things are going wrong. 

I’d be disappointed if Hutton left us after his recent interview tbh, but at the same time I don’t view him as irreplacable at all.

If there's a financial sweetener and cash flow is struggling I could see the club going for it. 
I'd hope the idea is kicked into touch but if its survival and colts then... 
....then I'll be off after 60 years of supporting this club. If you surrender the democratic principle of 'one club, one team' for any reason, never mind a tawdry financial bribe, then you are selling the integrity of a competition which has run from 1892. And all for what ?

I would hope the Directors of DFC vote against this, and call it out for what it is, a naked attempt of using a crisis with many clubs in financial distress to drive thro a desperate plan designed to placate Ann Budge by gerrymandering Scottish football.

A few quick responses...

On colts teams: the club has previously declined to play ball on this, the Sontrust vote in 2011 was 95% against, and a similar number expressed that view again in 2017. That is also the feedback we are getting on reconstruction. An update on reconstruction and the responses to our consultation will be coming this week. 

On Kyle Hutton: Please remember we have been here before. https://www.dumbartonreporter.co.uk/sport/17713492.hutton-turns-down-offers-from-elsewhere-to-remain-at-the-rock/ There is a lot of uncertainty and speculation around at the moment, and it's wise not to give too much credence to the rumour mills. The club and its manager are focussed on what needs to be done in preparation for an end to lockdown and the resumption of football. There's no mood to be blown off-course on that.

Thanks for supporting the auction, which is going well and will generate much-needed cash. We know not everyone is enamored with all the items, but we hope there's something for everyone... well, everyone who wants to bid, anyway. ;)  All cash support, from whatever source, is welcome! 

The colt team proposal from Rangers is one I'd really hate to see happening.

They're suggesting 4 years of payments, ranging from £100k+ in year 1 to £50k in year 4. They'll pay for 200 tickets at £15 each. Essentially it's  a £3000 bung per club, per season. If they decide to webcast a game then its an extra £1000.

So anything between £3000 and £6000 per season by year 4 and then £3000 per season after that - until they decide to stop taking a guaranteed 200 tickets - for the lower leagues to sell our soul. It's an absolutely resounding no from me. I'd be angry to see clubs sell their souls for £3000 a year until the big 2 get fed up.

The colt team proposal from Rangers is one I'd really hate to see happening.
They're suggesting 4 years of payments, ranging from £100k+ in year 1 to £50k in year 4. They'll pay for 200 tickets at £15 each. Essentially it's  a £3000 bung per club, per season. If they decide to webcast a game then its an extra £1000.
So anything between £3000 and £6000 per season by year 4 and then £3000 per season after that - until they decide to stop taking a guaranteed 200 tickets - for the lower leagues to sell our soul. It's an absolutely resounding no from me. I'd be angry to see clubs sell their souls for £3000 a year until the big 2 get fed up.
Sorry for being dogmatic, but I wouldn't intend to even begin to bargain over any details. The clubs must tell the OF and Doncaster, Strachan and whoever that the democratic principle is the hill on which they will fight to the death. No Colt clubs at any price, not now and not ever.

However, the battle may already be underway as I noticed that Celtic are supportive of the Rangers proposal. That means that powerful forces may already be working behind the scenes and the pressure will be ramping up to drive this change thro. The clubs outside of the Premier Division would be well advised to link arms now.

All points noted, O'Kelly and BallochSonsFan, and others.

** If you haven't commented directly to the club yet on reconstruction / colt teams, feel free to drop me a note here ASAP:  media@dumbartonfc.co.uk - no later than 8pm tomorrow, Sunday 6th June, please. **

(A tally and compilation was done last weekend, and I reported back to the board. But a few others have arrived since then, and I will do a final analysis tomorrow, ahead of meetings that will discuss these issues this coming week.)

3 hours ago, PWL said:

Well done; if I were you I’d post that on all the league forums. Might just mobilise others from clubs who are thinking of supporting this nonsense of Colt teams. 
 As I said supporters have to let their Chairmen  know we don’t want this! 

55 minutes ago, FREDDYFRY said:

Well done; if I were you I’d post that on all the league forums. Might just mobilise others from clubs who are thinking of supporting this nonsense of Colt teams. 
 As I said supporters have to let their Chairmen  know we don’t want this! 

Thanks for your reminder - now posted on the Divison Two forum.  Disappointngly, the Colt Club threat doesn't seem to have merited a thread on the Championship forum