Sons' sorrow

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Don't mean to seem stupid, but isn't this pretty much Stephanie's role?

Stephanie's role as a director  is to link the Sons Trust with the club board but it probably won't be focused on day to day issues on match day. It'll be longer term and more strategic. There will also be times where Stephanie's duties to the club as a director will mean that she couldn't necessarily act on behalf of the trust and she'll need to be treated as having a conflict of interest. SLOs are usually the opposite - not concerned with high level issues but more focused on fan concerns surrounding home and away matches. Issue with stewarding at a home or away game? Facilities not opened/clean/properly stocked. Problems with admission to a ground? Thats usually the role of the SLO.

46 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Stephanie's role as a director  is to link the Sons Trust with the club board but it probably won't be focused on day to day issues on match day. It'll be longer term and more strategic. There will also be times where Stephanie's duties to the club as a director will mean that she couldn't necessarily act on behalf of the trust and she'll need to be treated as having a conflict of interest. SLOs are usually the opposite - not concerned with high level issues but more focused on fan concerns surrounding home and away matches. Issue with stewarding at a home or away game? Facilities not opened/clean/properly stocked. Problems with admission to a ground? Thats usually the role of the SLO.

Fair enough. The bit in bold I'm unsure about though - she's solely been elected to the board to act on behalf of the Trust. 

4 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Fair enough. The bit in bold I'm unsure about though - she's solely been elected to the board to act on behalf of the Trust. 

Company directors have obligations in law. The trust representative on the club board should be the main point of contact between the trust board and the club board and will be able to represent the trust's interests at board level. That doesnt mean that it's a way round the legal obligations that are set out in company law. There will be times where Stephanie won't be able to fully disclose things to the trust or where she'd need to declare potential conflicts. Its just a consequence of the fact that company directors have  clear legal obligations. As much as Stephanie or any previous Sons Trust rep on the club board is there to represent the trust, that doesnt override company law. There shouldn't be many times where there is a conflict but its worth bearing in mind. 

2 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Company directors have obligations in law. The trust representative on the club board should be the main point of contact between the trust board and the club board and will be able to represent the trust's interests at board level. That doesnt mean that it's a way round the legal obligations that are set out in company law. There will be times where Stephanie won't be able to fully disclose things to the trust or where she'd need to declare potential conflicts. Its just a consequence of the fact that company directors have  clear legal obligations. As much as Stephanie or any previous Sons Trust rep on the club board is there to represent the trust, that doesnt override company law. There shouldn't be many times where there is a conflict but its worth bearing in mind. 

Yeah, I get that there are confidential things that can't be put into the public domain but she's still there on our behalf and representing our interests.

Just now, The Moonster said:

Yeah, I get that there are confidential things that can't be put into the public domain but she's still there on our behalf and representing our interests.

She is.

But as a club director she's also legally responsible to the business. 99% of the time the 2 responsibilities will be exactly the same. There's just potential for her to have to put the club ahead of the trust if it conflicts with her duties under company law. She'd do that be either declaring a conflict of interests and excusing herself from a particular issue at a club board meeting or she'd do it at the trust. On occasion Alan Findlay had to excuse himself from trust board meetings where a particular topic conflicted with his obligations as a club director. It typically involved financial issues between the club and the trust.

I've got to agree that it seems like a very strange role.

It's always been the case that if any supporter has any issues then they can bring it to any member of the trust who are usually found in bar 1872 before every game. It seems like a much easier method of dealing with this rather than assigning a person who by the description of the role will be responsible for a lot of things. Why would this person also need to be available for pre match steward meetings?

3 hours ago, BallochSonsFan said:

People who are held hostage in the car park, when they leave a game early?

7 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Don't mean to seem stupid, but isn't this pretty much Stephanie's role?

Not stupid at all. No, Stephanie handles hospitality and related things, plus she's on the board as elected trust rep now.

This is about someone who can represent the concerns issues of fans independently of both the club board and (by their own choice) the trust, with a focus on operational issues/match day experience...

Edited by TheFarPost

6 hours ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Spot on.

All Clubs are supposed to have a SLO - and its focus is on the operational side of things / match-day experience. 

4 hours ago, super-son said:

I've got to agree that it seems like a very strange role.

It's always been the case that if any supporter has any issues then they can bring it to any member of the trust who are usually found in bar 1872 before every game. It seems like a much easier method of dealing with this rather than assigning a person who by the description of the role will be responsible for a lot of things. Why would this person also need to be available for pre match steward meetings?

The SLO would have specific responsibility for, for example, sorting out problems with stewarding from the fans' POV. 

Having someone specifically responsible for ensuring that operational / fan concern issues are dealt with would really help. At present, complaints (er, "customer feedback!" ;) ) get directed to whoever someone knows and can nab. There's then usually a discussion about who / how to deal with it. (We had one about getting seats cleaned earlier in the season.) That can waste time and be unclear or get lost between different parties. The SLO can be a known face who can take it straight up with stewards / General manager and get it sorted. The liaison role with other SLOs is also useful. Good ideas and suggestions can be shared, among other things. 

55 minutes ago, Cruyff14 said:

Has anyone bought a retro shirt from that Dunnottar site? If so, any issues before I purchase?

I got this one.  It's very good though it did take a couple of months to arrive. 

IMG_20200227_184142.jpg

I got this one.  It's very good though it did take a couple of months to arrive. 
IMG_20200227_184142.thumb.jpg.9a62fb8be9bbe85b3661de6bc2f3e48f.jpg

Really like the look of that. Are the sizes reasonably accurate? How much we talking if you don’t mind me asking?

5 minutes ago, Jordo1872 said:

Really like the look of that. Are the sizes reasonably accurate? How much we talking if you don’t mind me asking?

Off top of my head I think it was £32. 

I'm XL and it fitted fine. 

Not sure what the set up is with the guy. Think he has a contact in China that churns them out on a case by case basis.  Hence the delay.  No idea how he gets around copyright or if that even is an issue.