Sons' sorrow

Ten more contributors to the Crowdfunder since yesterday... thanks so much!  We've done an update about it on the club website, plus something on the 'closed doors' question.

By my calculation that puts us second on word-difference in the SPFL Statements League, now. 🤣 This was the previous position.

97385265_578620676193158_5213514213380587520_n.jpg

7 minutes ago, the snudge said:

Brabco are. The club are not. Its definitely something that needs to be looked at if we were in  a position to seek government financial support, but I'm not sure that it would be enough to block us from applying for grants or loans.

Mind Ian Wilson stood in front of us and said they were already in the process of bringing the company onshore? Lol.
About three years ago give or take. And he wondered why people didn't/don't trust him.

Brabco are. The club are not. Its definitely something that needs to be looked at if we were in  a position to seek government financial support, but I'm not sure that it would be enough to block us from applying for grants or loans.
This action has already been applied by several European nations but do not hold your breath waiting for the Tories to do likewise given how many of them are active or complicit in this practice.
And FYI, the massive loans already announced in the furlough scheme currently represent less than one quarter of what was flung at the feral banking system in 2008.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Mind Ian Wilson stood in front of us and said they were already in the process of bringing the company onshore? Lol.

Wilson said plenty of things, many of which would see him hunted with torches and pitchforks if he'd said them in public.

5 hours ago, microdave said:
5 hours ago, The Moonster said:

About three years ago give or take. And he wondered why people didn't/don't trust him.

That was Chris Stainton, not Ian Wilson.

But no, it hasn't happened.

I pushed hard on this when I was trust spokesperson / negotiator, and it was widely reported in the media. 

Chris did act on it, to be fair. There were various technical issues about the onshore form they would take. But then he withdrew as a director of Brabco because of his own situation (his main company went into administration over dispute with HMRC), and nothing happened after that.

The issue of the long-term ownership of the club and how that can be shaped and influenced remains the central one in all this.

(My view remains firmly that offshore companies should not be permitted in Scottish football, and that is something I've lobbied on through the SFSA.)

Edited by TheFarPost

5 hours ago, BallochSonsFan said:

The tax status of Brabco (or rather, their 'parent', Grenada Holdings) doesn't effect DFC regarding business support at present, or in any scenario I can envisage. At the moment it is the furlough scheme that we are using. Other avenues will, of course, be explored as we move forward.

20 hours ago, TheFarPost said:

(My view remains firmly that offshore companies should not be permitted in Scottish football, and that is something I've lobbied on through the SFSA.)

I'd rather the SPFL/SFA tightened up their fit and proper test to include full transparency rather than block all offshore investment.

25 minutes ago, optimistic said:

Will Dumbarton offer season ticket holders any refund?

I’m not a season ticket holder, but I was asked by one.

Would fans accept it?

I'd like to think no Sons fans would ask for a refund unless their own personal circumstances were desperate. We've just crowdfunded £25k to keep the club going. To pay out X amount in a refund to the very people who have chipped in to save the club would be a bit farcical. 

I'd hope that no season ticket holder would accept a refund. A few may well ask for one. Personal circumstances will influence that but for me the money was paid last summer and is long gone. It's spent. I'm not budgeting for having it and I wouldn't consider asking for a refund. 

I’d actually hope the club considered selling tickets for next season. It would have to be on the basis that the number of games is unknown but I’m sure a few of the regulars would buy one anyway. Even fifty at £200 is another £10000