Sons' sorrow

Brabco havent gone away and unfortunately they only have a couple of options. They can hope that they find a buyer for the club, presumably taking a loss on the money they've spent. They can continue to pursue some kind of development at Youngs Farm. The doomsday scenario would clearly be the club going bust and liquidators selling the current ground, but thats not a scenario we should be discussing. It's not one that we can completely dismiss out of hand given the current state of play, but its not one that I'd be worrying about unless things go nuclear.
I know that the planning consultant reckons that somebody will develop that land at some point. Perhaps he's right, but the site isnt without problems. Flooding from the burns that cross the site isnt really a problem. We all know that the problem is waterlogging. When the river is high and the burns are in full flow theres simply nowhere for any excess water to go and the land can't absorb it. It becomes waterlogged very easily in winter and thats why we see pooling water for long periods of time. It knocks out house building without very expensive remedial work. The big problem of site access remains. Renton road isnt fit for purpose without more major work, including road widening, lighting and maintenance of the trees that regularly break and block the road. There are also doubts as to whether or not the local council would want an influx of new residents? Could council services cope with a major development? Could local health services? Public transport? You'd certainly need to look at the buses that use Renton Rd and talk to bus companies about rerouting.
The big hope is that the longer Brabco are with us then the more fractured they become. Brabco aren't really a thing. It's a collection of individuals who didn't know each other before investing in Brabco. They have no history of working together, other than the investor that Stainton brought with him. Some of them may well want to cut their losses and run. Others will be willing to see it out to the bitter end. That essentially cripples the club in terms of bringing in new investment as Brabco are on record stating their opposition to anything that dilutes their shareholding. Eventually things will come to a head. Brabco have debts to pay, the various investors will eventually look to cut and run and options for selling the club to new investors may well be gravely harmed by the Corona crisis. We need to remain vigilant. We need to remain ready to step up involvement if the time comes where we're asked to become more militant. All of that said, and as one of the 4 who regularly met the owners to raise concerns over Youngs Farm, we can never rule out a constructive relationship with them going forward. It may be that the only way to get rid of them is to become short term allies if it ultimately gets them out of the club.

A lot of good points there but to suggest the Council might not want more houses is stretching it a bit. Seems to me that the Council is happy to have houses thrown up anywhere with not a great deal of thought as to whether the town’s infrastructure can cope with it

45 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

A lot of good points there but to suggest the Council might not want more houses is stretching it a bit. Seems to me that the Council is happy to have houses thrown up anywhere with not a great deal of thought as to whether the town’s infrastructure can cope with it

They may well be happy with development over an extended period of time. Short term would potentially be an issue. How many building firms are going to want to bank land they might not develop for 10-15 years in the aftermath of this pandemic? It would only be developed at a pace that the council were happy with.

The reporters comments on the appeal are pretty clear that its a Green Belt site and reading between the lines would never be considered for housing development.

"I therefore consider that this land has a significant green belt function, and that development here would be damaging to the landscape setting and individual identities of Dumbarton and Renton."   "development would represent a significant infilling of the landscape gap that exists between Dumbarton and Renton"

does seem they may be willing to flex a bit if its for a leisure or tourist type development such a the stadium proposal (without the houses or hotels etc.) 

As others have said looks like this cant be funded without the houses, so Brabco are stuck.

Do they own the land on and around the current stadium and what type of developments are approved on that site?  given its already surrounded by houses.

I'm assuming they have already considered that as an option. Or its a Clydebank type situation where they have tosell / develop the land first before starting on the new stadium?

2 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Guys, have some mercy, I'm struggling enough watching the Tories be entirely incompetent on a daily basis I don't need to be reminded of the incompetency of Brabco as well.

Or that infamous scarf

24 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Does anyone know much about the new Trust rep? 

I’ve only really noticed her around recently and thought she was a club employee, I didn’t realise she was running for el presidente.

https://sonstrust.wordpress.com/2020/02/20/stephanie-park-statement/

You could start there.

Stephanie has been involved with the fans working group that was looking at fundraising and took on duties involving matchday hospitality prior to her being elected as the trust rep on the club board.

Does anyone know much about the new Trust rep? 
I’ve only really noticed her around recently and thought she was a club employee, I didn’t realise she was running for el presidente.

Lifelong fan, business degree, very approachable and has already given her time free of charge to help the club with hospitality and the like.

All positives and she’ll be a great addition to the club board. Massive shoes to fill with the work Alan F did behind the scenes, with very little gratitude. Sure she’ll be well supported by the fans and be successful in the role.

8 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I see the half black half white top has won the vote. Is anyone on here planning on buying either top? 

And does anyone care which one is our home top and which is away?

I'll need to see how they look badged and sponsored up, but the two options I went for won - so I'm happy enough and would be more likely to buy them than this season's monstrosities. Imo both options would really need black shorts and probably predominantly black shorts - so I'm wondering if one of the full kits might look a bit mismatched. Not that, that has an impact on me.

Couldn't care less which top is which though. Will probably vote for the white and black one just because nobody else will.

47 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I'll need to see how they look badged and sponsored up, but the two options I went for won - so I'm happy enough and would be more likely to buy them than this season's monstrosities. Imo both options would really need black shorts and probably predominantly black shorts - so I'm wondering if one of the full kits might look a bit mismatched. Not that, that has an impact on me.

Couldn't care less which top is which though. Will probably vote for the white and black one just because nobody else will.

White shorts for the black and white one for me

6 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

White shorts for the black and white one for me

Depends if the back is white or black for me. If it's white then I agree, if it's black then it needs black shorts.

^^^Gok Wan

Black shorts for the yellow top with yellow socks. I'll probably buy that one(just the top, I'm not a full kit w****r) and I'll vote for that to be the home kit. I didn't like it to start with but it's grown on me. The other one is like a poor Ayr strip imo.

6 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Depends if the back is white or black for me. If it's white then I agree, if it's black then it needs black shorts.

^^^Gok Wan

6 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

^^^Gok Wan

I presumed that the back would be black and white halves too. Thinking about it however that is unlikely due to the daft rules about numbers on strips that exist nowadays

That half and half shirt is honking. Both will have a lot of black so we could end up with a repeat of the infamous clash with Thistle. 

At risk of repeating myself, I think we've got this all wrong. 

Get a half decent bespok-ish home kit that will sell well. Dunfermline's new Joma away would be a decent template in white with gold and black. Concentrate on selling that at a time when fans want to support the club. 

Just use a catalogue red away shirt and don't even bother selling replicas. 

0000-dunfermline-athletic-20-21-home-away-kits (11).jpg

Edited by PWL