Sons' sorrow

1 hour ago, Boghead ranter said:

Were we not last in the top flight in 1985, rather than 1986?

Yes - 1984-1985. How can anyone get this wrong - it is easy enough to find out.

1 minute ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Oh dear....I see the new stadium nonsense is still circulating in this week's Lennox - how did you keep your face straight when you wrote that Jan ?

Working from home meant that I didn't have to 😉

Got to admire Brabco's perseverance. The LDP report basically tore them to shreds on points that have been raised here countless times, yet still they keep coming back for more - presumably at a reasonable cost.

It's page 351 here if you want to read it https://www.west-dunbarton.gov.uk/media/4318925/report-of-examination_682291.pdf

The article goes up online tonight for those of you living in Larbert by the way.

Working from home meant that I didn't have to [emoji6]
Got to admire Brabco's perseverance. The LDP report basically tore them to shreds on points that have been raised here countless times, yet still they keep coming back for more - presumably at a reasonable cost.
It's page 351 here if you want to read it https://www.west-dunbarton.gov.uk/media/4318925/report-of-examination_682291.pdf
The article goes up online tonight for those of you living in Larbert by the way.
Lol reading that I think it's the housing side they aren't massively keen on. Ditch the 200 houses and there's more of a chance.

12 minutes ago, sirscottyoung said:
21 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:
Working from home meant that I didn't have to emoji6.png

Lol reading that I think it's the housing side they aren't massively keen on. Ditch the 200 houses and there's more of a chance.

Issue is that if they ditch the 200 houses they have no way to fund the development. So, from the outside, they're stumped.

Issue is that if they ditch the 200 houses they have no way to fund the development. So, from the outside, they're stumped.
Hmmm can they not get land elsewhere to build the 200 houses? Why right beside the stadium?
(Sorry total outsider here, I do know the area though due to family)

33 minutes ago, sirscottyoung said:

Hmmm can they not get land elsewhere to build the 200 houses? Why right beside the stadium?
(Sorry total outsider here, I do know the area though due to family)

I'm not sure they have the money to buy land anywhere else. The deal had to come as a package stadium and housing package - that's the only way they could make any money on it. Or at least that's how I see it from here.

Anyway, full story is up online. I even included a lovely wee archive picture from the opening game seen as I'm just about to clock off.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/controversial-dumbarton-fc-stadium-move-21985464

2 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Working from home meant that I didn't have to 😉

At Brabco's cost or at DFC's?

Brabco havent gone away and unfortunately they only have a couple of options. They can hope that they find a buyer for the club, presumably taking a loss on the money they've spent. They can continue to pursue some kind of development at Youngs Farm. The doomsday scenario would clearly be the club going bust and liquidators selling the current ground, but thats not a scenario we should be discussing. It's not one that we can completely dismiss out of hand given the current state of play, but its not one that I'd be worrying about unless things go nuclear.

I know that the planning consultant reckons that somebody will develop that land at some point. Perhaps he's right, but the site isnt without problems. Flooding from the burns that cross the site isnt really a problem. We all know that the problem is waterlogging. When the river is high and the burns are in full flow theres simply nowhere for any excess water to go and the land can't absorb it. It becomes waterlogged very easily in winter and thats why we see pooling water for long periods of time. It knocks out house building without very expensive remedial work. The big problem of site access remains. Renton road isnt fit for purpose without more major work, including road widening, lighting and maintenance of the trees that regularly break and block the road. There are also doubts as to whether or not the local council would want an influx of new residents? Could council services cope with a major development? Could local health services? Public transport? You'd certainly need to look at the buses that use Renton Rd and talk to bus companies about rerouting.

The big hope is that the longer Brabco are with us then the more fractured they become. Brabco aren't really a thing. It's a collection of individuals who didn't know each other before investing in Brabco. They have no history of working together, other than the investor that Stainton brought with him. Some of them may well want to cut their losses and run. Others will be willing to see it out to the bitter end. That essentially cripples the club in terms of bringing in new investment as Brabco are on record stating their opposition to anything that dilutes their shareholding. Eventually things will come to a head. Brabco have debts to pay, the various investors will eventually look to cut and run and options for selling the club to new investors may well be gravely harmed by the Corona crisis. We need to remain vigilant. We need to remain ready to step up involvement if the time comes where we're asked to become more militant. All of that said, and as one of the 4 who regularly met the owners to raise concerns over Youngs Farm, we can never rule out a constructive relationship with them going forward. It may be that the only way to get rid of them is to become short term allies if it ultimately gets them out of the club.