Sons' sorrow

44 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Gordon Smith in yesterday's Herald suggesting yet another league reconstruction which would see Sons in a 16-team division with surprise, surprise six colt teams.

In that undemocratic event this temporary dislocation from the game could well become permanent for some of us.

The way this was put forward really irked me.

Clubs in the lower leagues are on their knees, so let's try and get this despicable idea of playing youth teams in the senior leagues through again. Presumably we'd all be offered a cash "incentive" (bribe...) To go along with this too.

If any moves are taken by people more relevant than Gordon Smith then it's the definition of those in power taking advantage of a horrible situation to appease the only two clubs they are bothered about keeping happy. 

1 hour ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Gordon Smith in yesterday's Herald suggesting yet another league reconstruction which would see Sons in a 16-team division with surprise, surprise six colt teams.

In that undemocratic event this temporary dislocation from the game could well become permanent for some of us.

How many times do they need told that fans don't want it? It's fucking pathetic that they keep wheeling out these puff pieces with journos only interested in milking the Olf Firm teet.

How many times do they need told that fans don't want it? It's fucking pathetic that they keep wheeling out these puff pieces with journos only interested in milking the Olf Firm teet.
It's not going to go away. In today's Sunday National, sister paper of the Herald, there is a long piece featuring the views of Craig Mulholland, Head Of Academy at Rangers. Quelle surprise, he is all in favour.

If anyone is in any doubt the banner headline 'Colt Teams Are A Daily Discussion At Rangers. They're A No Brainer' should dispel it.

Imagine Scotland's youngest club laying down the law - the utter cheek of it.

The thing with colt teams is that the current clubs have to vote it through. Iirc, the last time it was mooted, it didn't even get to a vote such was the opposition to it from L1 and L2 clubs. I'm confident the same will happen this time.

I got the impression that it was just a piece to fill space during a sparse time for football news. It was just a rehash of his ten year old idea and wouldn’t get anything like sufficient support. Having said that if football does not return until the new year the landscape will be very different

https://www.bbc.com/sport/av/ice-hockey/52223802                         https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52219587

I would be seriously pissed if this season isnt completed.No excuse the games could be played in a month.Even though there is nothing reall yat stake for us.

I can see a 3 tier league being set up to avoid relegation issues .If thats the case then we would be in a new division 1 /championship.We would have 3 groups of 14...39 games a season .Actually i would prefer that to the season being stopped short.

9 hours ago, lorenzo71 said:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/av/ice-hockey/52223802                         https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52219587

I would be seriously pissed if this season isnt completed.No excuse the games could be played in a month.Even though there is nothing reall yat stake for us.

I can see a 3 tier league being set up to avoid relegation issues .If thats the case then we would be in a new division 1 /championship.We would have 3 groups of 14...39 games a season .Actually i would prefer that to the season being stopped short.

You’re going to end up sorely disappointed then. All the indications are that social distancing measures could continue in the UK to some extent for upwards of a year. I doubt we’ll see Dumbarton in action again in 2020.

Season 19/20 is done. Season 20/21 will probably end up cut short as well. And all the league reconstruction stuff that’s floating about just seems laughable at a time like this. 

1 hour ago, George Parr said:

You’re going to end up sorely disappointed then. All the indications are that social distancing measures could continue in the UK to some extent for upwards of a year. I doubt we’ll see Dumbarton in action again in 2020.

Season 19/20 is done. Season 20/21 will probably end up cut short as well. And all the league reconstruction stuff that’s floating about just seems laughable at a time like this. 

You may well be right as i am no expert and yes its pedantic to talk about football when many people are dying or ill.However things will continue and life inevitably goes on and these issues will need addressed somehow.Social distancing will be  a new norm no doubt.And how that then is implemented is something authorities will need to figure out.If clubs are out of action for so long many i fear will go to the wall.

You offered a critique of the situation George but do you have any solutions that may be viable given the status quo?

6 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

You offered a critique of the situation George but do you have any solutions that may be viable given the status quo?

I know there's a scramble to get things back and keep folk occupied because folk are bored in their houses, but honestly, football doesn't matter. How about as a solution, fans continue to donate money every month to their clubs (as they would by paying for tickets etc.) wherever they can and we pick up this football lark when it's safe to do so, whether that's in 6 months, a year or two years. It would be shite, but I'd prefer to be bored than dead.

11 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

You may well be right as i am no expert and yes its pedantic to talk about football when many people are dying or ill.However things will continue and life inevitably goes on and these issues will need addressed somehow.Social distancing will be  a new norm no doubt.And how that then is implemented is something authorities will need to figure out.If clubs are out of action for so long many i fear will go to the wall.

It’s a fair question to which I’ve got no good answers. From our club’s perspective my sense is we’ll want to stumble through to contract expiry time and then release all the playing staff and management (I think Ross Forbes is on a 2 year so might be the exception?).