Sons' sorrow

2 minutes ago, cameron2000 said:

I know it might not be relevant just yet but if matches had to be played behind closed doors, would that not completely cripple us financially?

I suppose after Saturday we only have 3 home matches left, all of which are likely to suffer from dwindling attendances regardless of airborne pathogens, as our season is effectively already over. And if we are to see a staggered banning of events similar to the French approach then it's not likely that any of those fixtures would meet the criteria for mass attended event.

9 minutes ago, cameron2000 said:

I know it might not be relevant just yet but if matches had to be played behind closed doors, would that not completely cripple us financially?

Unless the country goes into full lockdown, it's unlikely they'll ban a gathering of circa 400 people. The only home game that'll even come close to breaking 1,000 is this Saturday, which looks likely to go ahead as planned. I imagine it would cripple us if the next 3 home games brought no income, although in instances such as that I would expect the league to try and assist any clubs affected but that's perhaps naive of me.

On 04/03/2020 at 11:36, sarti pooh said:

Hard to argue with those decisions.

If I really had to choose I'd maybe let langan go as well.

Maybe try get Tapping in from Forfar as the token centre mid back up.

IMO If you havent got a big budget, maybe players like crawford can make his job as team players, playing some matches if it is needed.  local young players who can develop and for the moment they dont earn a big money, 2 or 3 like him can complete a league1 squad, and let you have some top players for the league....

On 10/03/2020 at 10:21, The Moonster said:

Unless the country goes into full lockdown, it's unlikely they'll ban a gathering of circa 400 people. The only home game that'll even come close to breaking 1,000 is this Saturday, which looks likely to go ahead as planned. I imagine it would cripple us if the next 3 home games brought no income, although in instances such as that I would expect the league to try and assist any clubs affected but that's perhaps naive of me.

It was reported in the daily record that the SPFL would not be helping any clubs financially if the situation worsened and we ended up behind closed doors. Another question is, not only loss of income if it happens, but what about those who bought season tickets and potentially miss out on 2/3 games, do they just take a loss or does the club refund for missed games? If so that would be financially painful I assume.

8 hours ago, pleslie99 said:

It was reported in the daily record that the SPFL would not be helping any clubs financially if the situation worsened and we ended up behind closed doors. Another question is, not only loss of income if it happens, but what about those who bought season tickets and potentially miss out on 2/3 games, do they just take a loss or does the club refund for missed games? If so that would be financially painful I assume.

Surely anyone loyal and committed enough to the club to invest in a season ticket isn't going to be a complete dick and demand a refund of 2 or 3 games worth?

Except the dude that was going to sue for false imprisonment that time he was held back from leaving the car park for 10 minutes when he'd stormed out of a game early, perhaps. 

10 hours ago, pleslie99 said:

I imagine if anyone requests a refund they'll need to get it. I would hope that any Sons fan would realise it isn't the clubs fault the game can't be attended and leave the money with them. The worst aspect would probably be losing hospitality.

Not surprised at the SPFL's stance, although I find it ridiculous. A season or two back the way the fixtures fell we had no home games for a full month (3 away games and a cup weekend we weren't involved in IIRC) and the SPFL contacted the club to ask them what contingencies they had in place to cover any cash flow issues through that period. I think this is good governance, making sure clubs are planning ahead and preempting any potentially difficult situations. However, you can't be as sharp as that on individual clubs when games are going ahead with crowds then sit back and say "good luck to ye" if the government shuts down the entire league system. 

If it turns out that the season can’t be completed I would hope that the club would take into consideration its season ticket holders and make some sort of adjustment to next year’s season tickets for the home matches cancelled. I realise that the club will have based its expenditure on the revenue received in advance through season ticket sales and can’t just say we will refund all for the matches that are cancelled. Players contracts, utilities and staff wages will have to be paid and guaranteed income will have been taken into account within the budget. I personally would not be looking for a refund as the club has enough to contend with financially.

On a lighter note thankfully the gathering of crowds over 500 won’t happen until next week. The Falkirk fans and those in the temporary stands will ensure we have a few quid in the bank!

13 hours ago, George Parr said:

Surprised anyone is seriously looking for anything back on a ticket they most likely paid for 10 months ago. Particularly given the circumstances. 

Write off your loss and move on would be my gentle advice to season ticket holders.

I agree but I guarantee there will be a small number looking for a refund.

The issue of refunding season tickets is a tough one. Some fans will want a partial refund. Some won't. The club don't exactly have a pile of cash to make those kinds of payments.

I certainly won't be asking for anything. The club needs to use whatever money it has to keep things ticking over and not refunding fans for something that was completely out of it's control. If the club wants to make a gesture next year, such as free home friendlies for all season ticket holders, its something that could be looked at over the next few weeks. Right now the important thing is that the club is able to keep going and that this doesn't cause significant problems for the board to deal with.

41 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

My AI bot senses are tingling @Cardinal Richelieu

Well, if it is a bot, it's very advanced since it's managed to identify the thread with the P+B thread with the highest footfall. 

But thank you Moonster - investigations are underway. Of course, if @Jack231 can prove he's not a bot, for example by creating a funny joke or demonstrating empathy, then all will be well. 

A serious question.
How do you think leagues 1 and 2 could possibly survive a season extension when nearly every player will be out of contract and every club will have went a month without any income and couldn't possibly offer them extra money. Do you think they can rely on the good will of the players to play on without payment [emoji848]