Sons' sorrow

24 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Now that we're all but mathematically safe, it's time for our annual "Keep or Punt" discussion.  For me:

KEEP
Brennan (as number 2)
Wardrop (if DU are releasing him)
McGeever
Neill
Rico Quitongo
Hutton
Carswell
McKee
Forbes (already signed up)
PJ Crossan
Layne
Jai Quitongo

PUNT
Pettigrew
Crawford
Zata
Wilson
Jones
McCluskey
Tierney

UNDECIDED
Langan

Hard to argue with those decisions.

If I really had to choose I'd maybe let langan go as well.

Maybe try get Tapping in from Forfar as the token centre mid back up.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Now that we're all but mathematically safe, it's time for our annual "Keep or Punt" discussion.  For me:

KEEP
Brennan (as number 2)
McGeever
Neill
Rico Quitongo
Hutton
Carswell
McKee
PJ Crossan
Layne
Jai Quitongo

PUNT
Pettigrew
Crawford
Zata
Wilson
Jones
McCluskey
Tierney

UNDECIDED
Langan

I'd agree with all that. I'd keep Langan though. He's versatile and has been decent this season. Doubt he's on a huge whack either and he's really only in his first season of senior football. 

Suspect McKee and J.Quitongo will be in high demand. I'd like to think that we could keep Rico, Neill, McGeever, Carsy, Hutton, Layne and Crossan though.

11 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I'd agree with all that. I'd keep Langan though. He's versatile and has been decent this season. Doubt he's on a huge whack either and he's really only in his first season of senior football. 

Suspect McKee and J.Quitongo will be in high demand. I'd like to think that we could keep Rico, Neill, McGeever, Carsy, Hutton, Layne and Crossan though.

Will McKee and Jai be in high demand? McKee was plodding around without a club about a week before kick off after having two fairly poor stints in the Championship and nothing stints at Carlisle and Dundalk. He's had a great season, but it's been littered with wee injuries that have stopped him gaining any real momentum. Quitongo was so not in demand he had to f**k off to Iran, and even when he came back nobody was interested other than us. They'll probably have offers elsewhere, but I'm not convinced they will be offers we can't compete with. We should remember we don't have a huge chunk of the budget being used on a broken Rory Loy this summer, we should have slightly more to play with.

KEEP
Brennan (as number 2)
McGeever
Neill
Rico Quitongo
Hutton
Carswell
McKee
PJ Crossan
Layne
Jai Quitongo
PUNT
Pettigrew
Crawford
Zata
Wilson
Jones
McCluskey
Tierney
UNDECIDED
Langan

Would applaud the board for some future planning, get some of key players signed up right now.

P.s. would pick one of Carswell/Hutton, not both.

I would punt Langan, I know he's not played much but I think we could do better.

Only other change I would possibly make to that list is potentially keep McCluskey as a backup. He's been playing alot better recently but its as if he's trying to do too much and loses the ball a fair bit. I've been admiring his tenacity though.

3 hours ago, The Moonster said:

KEEP
Brennan (as number 2)
McGeever
Neill
Rico Quitongo
Hutton
Carswell
McKee
PJ Crossan
Layne
Jai Quitongo

PUNT
Pettigrew
Crawford
Zata
Wilson
Jones
McCluskey
Tierney

UNDECIDED
Langan

That looks spot on to me. My only concern is that Duffy is out of contract and if he doesn't sign a new contract by mid May (at the latest), then we could lose a few of those players while he makes his mind up. I'd like the board to be pushing him to make a decision in this month and then look at getting the players signed up. It would be nice to have a core of players that know each others game already in place instead of having to sign an almost entire new squad for the umpteenth season running. Although with Forbes already signed up, I wonder if Duffy tipped him the wink that he'll still be here next season.

That looks spot on to me. My only concern is that Duffy is out of contract and if he doesn't sign a new contract by mid May (at the latest), then we could lose a few of those players while he makes his mind up. I'd like the board to be pushing him to make a decision in this month and then look at getting the players signed up. It would be nice to have a core of players that know each others game already in place instead of having to sign an almost entire new squad for the umpteenth season running. Although with Forbes already signed up, I wonder if Duffy tipped him the wink that he'll still be here next season.
Wondered about the Duffy situation myself, all managers have to deal with inheriting a squad so regardless of Duffy staying/going it makes sense to get the better performers tied down.

Arbroath benefited from a settled squad signed up for two years and although we don't have that financial luxury, we pretty much know our fate and can start planning now for next year to get us on the front foot.

5 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

Mentioned this recently, and no one shouted me down as a dafty, but am I misremembering Duffy's appointment being announced as a 1-year rolling contract?

I checked the "Duffy Deal is Done" article which we put out last summer and it doesn't mention anything about contract length. That led me to go back and check the initial announcement when Duffy came in and there's no mention of contract length there either. Maybe a Daily Record article or something?

2 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I checked the "Duffy Deal is Done" article which we put out last summer and it doesn't mention anything about contract length. That led me to go back and check the initial announcement when Duffy came in and there's no mention of contract length there either. Maybe a Daily Record article or something?

Or maybe I'm just an auld dafty, as suspected.

Cheers.

I’d be amazed if the board haven’t already spoken to Duffy about next season. What’s key is that there’s a deadline set for a decision to be made and if there no commitment at that stage we move on.

We can’t have a repeat of last summer. Albeit more than just the manager position contributed to that. I’d like to see four or five signed up for next season within the next month or so, and can’t disagree with Moonster’s picks above.

For me we need an agreement in place with Duffy for Easter. Absolutely no later than that. If he can't commit to staying then we need to start looking for a new manager and that will take a few weeks. Easter gives us a few weeks before the end of the season and the playoffs are done to get a new manager in and to offer contracts to anybody the club wants to keep. It also gives the players a bit of certainty in that they'll know who the new manager is without going significantly into the summer.

It's worked for us this year but that's primarily because of late additions that Duffy made at the tail end of the transfer window and because the likes of Rico Quitongo have found great form as the season has gone on. It's telling that the likes of Zata, Crawford and Scullion havent made any kind of impact with us. I actually think Crawford would be better wide right in midfield as he can cover for Wardrop if the fullback has gone beyond him and he seems to like to get forward himself. 

For me we need an agreement in place with Duffy for Easter. Absolutely no later than that. If he can't commit to staying then we need to start looking for a new manager and that will take a few weeks. Easter gives us a few weeks before the end of the season and the playoffs are done to get a new manager in and to offer contracts to anybody the club wants to keep. It also gives the players a bit of certainty in that they'll know who the new manager is without going significantly into the summer.
It's worked for us this year but that's primarily because of late additions that Duffy made at the tail end of the transfer window and because the likes of Rico Quitongo have found great form as the season has gone on. It's telling that the likes of Zata, Crawford and Scullion havent made any kind of impact with us. I actually think Crawford would be better wide right in midfield as he can cover for Wardrop if the fullback has gone beyond him and he seems to like to get forward himself. 

What on earth makes you think playing a backup right back in right mid will help us?

2 hours ago, cameron2000 said:

What on earth makes you think playing a backup right back in right mid will help us?

Because he looks better going forward than defending and would be a reasonable back up option to give Wardrop a bit of protection if we needed to fill the midfield.

45 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

According to the BBC Chelsea are looking to buy an SPFL club. Would that be preferable to Brabco?

They will likely be looking at bigger clubs but I wouldn’t dismiss the though.

if it worked for both clubs then why not.