Sons' sorrow

The way Aitken has conducted himself since being punted is embarassing, and I'm fairly certain it's why he still can't get a job.

His friends in the media spent far too long blowing smoke up his arse that he genuinely started to believe he was the best young manager in the country. He wasn't. He also has a bit of a delusion where he believes he can't get big jobs because he isn't a household name. He thought he was untouchable, he thought he was too good to be sacked and when he was, he took it terribly.

His time with us was very up and down if we're being honest. We had some memorable individual results, we had the cup final and he managed to the save the season a couple of time by going on a great run of form at a certain point. He was very one dimensional with the same tactics and formation, had a scattergun approach to squad building and had a tendancy to run his mouth at times. It's only now that we're lumped with depressing Uncle Fester that I actually appreciate the enthusiasm someone like Aitken brings to the job. I also prefer Aitkens scattergun squad building to Duffy's exit trial jobber squad building.

19 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I also prefer Aitkens scattergun squad building to Duffy's exit trial jobber squad building.

It'd be nice to get someone in who isn't either of these things. You know, someone who has good knowledge of lower league/non-league players and builds a squad with a bit of care. Plenty of other sides manage it, yet we seem to be needing a minimum 5 player turnaround every January.

It'd be nice to get someone in who isn't either of these things. You know, someone who has good knowledge of lower league/non-league players and builds a squad with a bit of care. Plenty of other sides manage it, yet we seem to be needing a minimum 5 player turnaround every January.
Of course, but if you held a blade to my groin and told me I'd be turned into a eunoch if I didn't choose then I'd definitely go Aitken scattergun.

21 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

The only thing I remember about Gerry McCabe is us being shite and him offering a fan a square jig in the car park. Legend.

I remember that. Happened after an absolutely dismal display at Elgin that I still don't understand why I traveled up to.

http://sonsarchive.com/matchdetails.php?id=4046

Who the f**k were Craig Potter and Ryan Russell?!

Craig Potter was ex St Mirren I'm sure, baldy guy. Ryan Russell was a left back, local lad from Helensburgh.

That day at Elgin was absolutely hoaching. I obviously didn't witness McCabe play for us but I'd genuinely consider him to be the complete opposite of a Sons legend. I remember us finishing 2nd bottom under him. Why the hell we are wheeling him out at hospitality and branding him a legend is absolutely beyond me.

Edited to add: Potter wasn't ex St Mirren, he was ex Ayr United and all round junior standard jobber.

Bizarrely, Gerry McCabe won more matches as manager than he lost. He had two spells as a player nine years apart and we were relegated in both seasons. Not that it was his fault since he only played ten games in total.

ETA He was probably a Bankie agent sent to destroy us from within!

The highlight of McCabe’s era was beating Raith away in the cup to earn a trip to Parkhead. Also, Stephen Dobbie tearing Andy Rodgers’ Montrose a new one in a 5-0 win at Links Park was very enjoyable.

I never forgave Fairley for leaving us for Forfar, especially after they thrashed us 6-0 at Station Park.