Sons' sorrow

37 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Straight question Monster - have you seen us play recently ? I know we don't want to fire cheap shots or wallow in negativity but I'm really struggling to work out where wins are coming from right now. Especially if we are forced to persevere with a midfield permed from Carswell/Langan/McLuskey/Forbes/Zata.

I saw us against East Fife. We're struggling at the moment definitely, but I think a couple of things are driving that. Main one is Hutton being out and Layne being injured for the last wee while. The other is Duffy figuring out how to fit our new players in. I think a combination of us shitfesting our way and other teams being inconsistent will see us through though.

I think the issue is our season is effectively done, realistically we are not going to get into the top 4 unless we have a smashing run of form and we are unlikely to end up relegated or in the playoff due to the teams below looking even worse. Classic mid table mediocrity.

I think the issue is our season is effectively done, realistically we are not going to get into the top 4 unless we have a smashing run of form and we are unlikely to end up relegated or in the playoff due to the teams below looking even worse. Classic mid table mediocrity.
This season is a bit of paradox for me. I'd have bitten your hand off for mid table at the start of the season but strangely feel disappointed about how it's likely to end.

@boghead ranter

Time up for Duffy???

Not for me. We have our fate in our own hands and I'm confident the results will come. I'd prefer if it was sooner rather than later though. I was casting my mind back to this time last year and it was difficult to see where the results were going to come from. But then we beat Stranraer at Stair park for the first time in years and that was the first of a decent run which took us to safety. We're just going through a sticky patch as most teams do but we'll come through it.

Duffy will be our manager until the end of the season. I'm not sure if he should be in the job beyond that. Whether it's his decision or the board's decision? I don't think that we'll see him in the dugout next season. Whatever happens, we need to have our manager position for next season sorted by Easter. If that is Duffy then he needs to make that commitment. If it isn't then we need to be in a position to build a squad early. We can't have a repeat of last summer.

I always get the impression the board are a bit in awe of Duffy and just seem to let him do what he wants. They let him piss around all summer without giving him a deadline, he doesn't attend ANY social events and he never does anything to try and build excitement or drum up some support for the club. From what I've heard we can't even get an update for the match preview out the c**t. I can't remember a more dour faced bore of a manager.

They wont sack him and they will offer him a deal at the end of the season. Hopefully he'll walk.

Whilst the board are doing a good job in difficult circumstances off the park, I do worry a bit about our next appointment. Some of the stuff John Steele has said has led me to question his, and the boards knowledge, about what's required on the park. They don't strike me as football men if that makes sense. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Duff has done a decent job imo and should be allowed to continue.

The aberdeen game was an example that he knows how to put a team out that are organised, disciplined and hard working.

I think that we ll pick up points now that players are settling into the squad.

McKee, hutts and layne being fit would be a big help.

How far away are we from some suspensions?

6 minutes ago, sonsanorak said:

The aberdeen game was an example that he knows how to put a team out that are organised, disciplined and hard working.

Carsy is our most booked player, on nine in the league (11 in all comps), so I think he's three away from a ban? That aside our discipline this season has actually been pretty good. McCluskey is our next most booked on five (four in the league) so we should be fine on accumulation of yellow cards suspensions.

On the rest of the post, unless we continue to lose every week between now and the end of the season, I'm fully behind Duffy staying until the summer. Then things can be reviewed based on how we finished the season and a decision hopefully made pretty soon after. 

This season has been weird. We've not been good for large chunks of it but, a week before Christmas, we were in with a fantastic shout of fourth place. Since then form has gone off a cliff and we've missed a golden opportunity to challenge East Fife and Montrose for the final playoff position. We aren't playing great football, we have a squad that lacks a bit of balance and I've no idea what our best formation and starting lineup is. With 12 games left in the season that's far from ideal.

Right now a comfortable mid-table finish would do me just fine. Especially given how I felt at the start of the season. But if that ends up being the case I also reckon Duffy and the board would shake hands and go their seperate ways at the end of the season. Although my gut feeling is that, that will happen anyway.

Next week is massive and I don't think Duffy was too pleased at all or minced his words post-match. Normally at away games he's out quickly to speak to the press, but yesterday I didn't get away for 35 minutes. He needs a reaction and we'll now quite quickly if he got it imo. And obviously having McKee back for that would be massive (Hutton is definitely out and Layne might make the bench at a push, but he won't be fit enough for much action apparently).

1 hour ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I'm fully behind Duffy staying until the summer. Then things can be reviewed based on how we finished the season and a decision hopefully made pretty soon after. 

I don't think we can wait that long.

We saw an absolute shambles last summer because Duffy wouldn't commit to staying until quite late in May. It really affected how we built our squad. If Duffy is staying then I really think we need confirmation of that by Easter. If he isnt then we need to start looking at a replacement because we can't have another summer where we're scraping the bottom of a barrel for guys like Zata. We need to have far more certainty from our manager before we get to that stage or be well in the process of appointing his successor. 

3 hours ago, sonsanorak said:

I admire your optimism but I can see absolutely no justification for it.  The Aberdeen game was a one-off and the recent league performances are far more relevant.

I’m 50-50, but if it was a less experienced manager, after recent results, they’d be sacked.

Most games recently, the opposition have deserved their wins, Airdrie should have, but many people saying their teams could have scored four or five against us,

Nowhere near good enough

There's a feeling of resignation about the team right now, we could finish 6th or 9th and no one seems to have any enthusiasm either way.

Need a run of good performances/results to re-ignite interest imo.
It's funny you mention the words 'resignation' and 'enthusiasm' - they are two sides of the same coin.

I paid attention to the warm-ups of both teams ahead of the recent East Fife and Airdrie games, and ours didn't compare well. Even worse was the body language and general attitude of our subs at half-time.

These things don't in themselves decide matches but similarly they don't inspire confidence. And in the scheme of things at a professional football club they should be a basic requirement.

1 hour ago, optimistic said:

I’m 50-50, but if it was a less experienced manager, after recent results, they’d be sacked.

Most games recently, the opposition have deserved their wins, Airdrie should have, but many people saying their teams could have scored four or five against us,

Nowhere near good enough

I don't think they would. It took us slumping to ninth and a 1-5 home defeat to Raith before we lost to Stranraer for Aitken to be emptied. After a ridiculously low number of wins the season before and relegation.

Sixth place is fine given the mess we were in pre-season. It would be madness to spend good money punting Duffy now.