Sons' sorrow

Given that Wardrop should be as good as if not better than Tumilty, Jones will be better than Shiels, Quitongo is an improvement on Scullion and Forbes will be better than Frizzell I take it that all those who were criticising Duffy for not getting his finger out are now eating humble pie?

8 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

Given that Wardrop should be as good as if not better than Tumilty, Jones will be better than Shiels, Quitongo is an improvement on Scullion and Forbes will be better than Frizzell I take it that all those who were criticising Duffy for not getting his finger out are now eating humble pie?

Delighted with the business but not really eating humble pie because we dropped 3 points to Peterhead and could only muster a draw with Stranraer.

Plus aberdeen were there for the taking.

Kudos is due, but I don't know how many of signings were by design or opportunity. The proof will be on the field, if we can get the new(ish) signings to click the optimist in me says we can we should be targeting the playoffs which would be remarkable given the early predictions.

Why exactly should they ? The day football fans lose the inclination or right to offer (respectful) opinions we can all chuck it.

Having said that I'm happy to repeat my praise of earlier this week for the business done, whilst noting that the proof, etc.,

Given that we've not managed to score in January, nevermind win a game then no.

Edited to add - it's absolutely not a given that Wardrop will be anywhere near as good as Tumilty. He has barely kicked a ball since he left us.

56 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

A heck of a lot of assumptions here. 

I decided while driving home from Peterhead last week to give tomorrow a miss but these signings have me looking up how long my drive will be tomorrow. It's like when I was younger and going to house parties when the pub shut. They were mostly shite but I'd keep going out of fear of missing the good one.

It'll probably still be shite tomorrow but I'll be there hoping it'll be one of the good ones.

2 hours ago, Nowhereman said:

I prefer to wait until I see how we fit all these guys together but since you're asking I'll give my opinion. On paper we've improved the squad, but if you look at who we've signed, it shows that again we're not casting the net very far. We signed a guy we've had on loan before, our left backs brother, a guy we could easily have kept in the summer yet offered a pittance to, and a guy thats been punted down the pecking order at the team bottom of the table. Yes, the players look an improvement, but Duffys been in the game what, 40 years, and that's the extent of his scouting network or contacts in the game. 

I think this reinforces my point that not enough thought was put into the summer. 5 have left, 2 we'd probably have liked to keep but we've replaced well (again, on paper) and we still have a few who aren't much use to us. If the extended deal for Forbes is a sign Duffy wants to continue then I hope we press on with more squad building in the coming months, and I hope there's more thought put into it this time so we don't face a nervous few days in January waiting to see who wants to sign.

Happy to forget about it though and get behind ghe team for the rest of the season, 4th place is doable if we find some consistency.

Given that we've not managed to score in January, nevermind win a game then no.  
Edited to add - it's absolutely not a given that Wardrop will be anywhere near as good as Tumilty. He has barely kicked a ball since he left us.
I think we have to temper our expectations for Wardrop, at least in the short term. Definitely had a bit of "ring rust" last Saturday, which is perfectly understandable.

Are the couple of loan deals that Duffy mentioned were dependent on injuries clearing at the parent clubs, now in the bin?

2 hours ago, microdave said:

I decided while driving home from Peterhead last week to give tomorrow a miss but these signings have me looking up how long my drive will be tomorrow. It's like when I was younger and going to house parties when the pub shut. They were mostly shite but I'd keep going out of fear of missing the good one.

Ditto going to Cheers.

Ditto going to Cheers.

I only got in there twice. I got a knockback for being under 25 more times than I can remember. The first time I got in I was (I think) 22 and on a double date. The second time was just after I turned 25 and wasn't asked for id. The novelty wore off as both nights were pish!

Eta Oscars was where I used to end up. Same situation really. I'll probably never learn.