Sons' sorrow

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

He's also talked about trying to do deals for 2 weeks now, again if he had no money I think he'd be quick to say.

It is unlikely that he would openly criticise his employers with claims of no money. There is no doubt that Dumbarton has a squad that looks like short on talent but Duffy has managed them well and given the current league position the Sons are probably doing as well as can be expected. Clearly frustration is high amongst fans and that too is understandable.

5 minutes ago, Homer Sandoval said:

It is unlikely that he would openly criticise his employers with claims of no money. There is no doubt that Dumbarton has a squad that looks like short on talent but Duffy has managed them well and given the current league position the Sons are probably doing as well as can be expected. Clearly frustration is high amongst fans and that too is understandable.

He was fine threatening his employers with walking out he job last summer so that he could get a budget that he wanted (which he got, btw). If he had no money to bring in players then releasing the ones we do have is also a rather stupid move.

I just don't think Duffy deserves such an easy ride. McMillan, Zata, Crawford, Scullion, McCluskey, Tierney all deemed not up to this level (either by fans or by Jim himself), and you could argue that the likes of Crossan and Brennan are borderline good enough. Pettigrew can be added too as he hasn't been able to dislodge a mediocre Brennan, although anyone is good enough to sit on the bench with their thumb up their arse I suppose. That's 9 players of our current 19 man squad with question marks over them. A squad that has 1 striker with a broken foot for the last 4 weeks and a gaffer who's done nothing about it (except for making flippant remarks in the press when questioned on it - another one at the weekend I'm hearing). Aitken would have been hounded for this sort of shit, but Duffy seems to get a nice easy ride. 

We'll see what he does this week, we need at least 3 players in of suitable quality, if he does that I might cut him some slack.

4 hours ago, Homer Sandoval said:

Has anyone considered that Duffy has his hands tied by lack of money? Perhaps his targets are difficult to get signed up as funds are limited. 

In a lifetime of following Dumbarton I would reckon that nine out of every ten problems at the club is money-related, so there's nothing new in that.  At the start of this season it was definitely a factor and considering that the performance in the league until now has been reasonable.  A Manager's fund has been set up and maybe it would be an idea for us all to learn how much this is currently generating per month; I suspect not hugely well and maybe we need more people to commit to contributing.

Two loanees have now returned to their clubs, with Sam Wardrop coming in so presumably there is scope for another signing.  We should also be in receipt of some cash from the recent cup-tie and I'd hope at least some of this is used to try and keep us in the current division.  Let's see what develops towards the end of this week, but if we pass the window as things currently stand then I'd be concerned.

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

He was fine threatening his employers with walking out he job last summer so that he could get a budget that he wanted (which he got, btw). If he had no money to bring in players then releasing the ones we do have is also a rather stupid move.

I just don't think Duffy deserves such an easy ride. McMillan, Zata, Crawford, Scullion, McCluskey, Tierney all deemed not up to this level (either by fans or by Jim himself), and you could argue that the likes of Crossan and Brennan are borderline good enough. Pettigrew can be added too as he hasn't been able to dislodge a mediocre Brennan, although anyone is good enough to sit on the bench with their thumb up their arse I suppose. That's 9 players of our current 19 man squad with question marks over them. A squad that has 1 striker with a broken foot for the last 4 weeks and a gaffer who's done nothing about it (except for making flippant remarks in the press when questioned on it - another one at the weekend I'm hearing). Aitken would have been hounded for this sort of shit, but Duffy seems to get a nice easy ride. 

We'll see what he does this week, we need at least 3 players in of suitable quality, if he does that I might cut him some slack.

Another factor i would add is the loss of momentum we have had from having a threadbare squad.Even if we sign Jai i wont be that excited to be honest as its clear we need about 5 bodies thru the door this week.Definitely 4th place is there for grabs but its all about the next 7 days as i think even a returning Layne wont be that sharp for a good while and miraculously turn our fortunes around.

Hagi away to Rangers

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/duffy-frustrated-striker-search-dumbarton-21371548

Maybe we could kill two birds with the one stone here. Any veteran strikers who might fancy being the assistant with a good chance of getting the job in the summer kicking about? Kris Doolan has his badges and will more than likely be available - he was the first name who popped into my head.

5 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Hagi away to Rangers

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/duffy-frustrated-striker-search-dumbarton-21371548

Maybe we could kill two birds with the one stone here. Any veteran strikers who might fancy being the assistant with a good chance of getting the job in the summer kicking about? Kris Doolan has his badges and will more than likely be available - he was the first name who popped into my head.

Certainly knows where the net is!

* I'm defo not suggesting him as a player/assistant manager

But am I right in thinking beanie was nearly kept on by Duffy in a coaching capacity at the start of the season?

Do you think he would revisit the idea?

Edited by sarti pooh

11 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Hagi away to Rangers

😱 Miller, K 😱

51 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Hagi away to Rangers

Comforting to know that not only do I not support Manchester City, I also do not support Manchester Utd. 

Hagi away to Rangers

Doolan would probably do ok with you guys but I think he’s hanging on to us and will go back to Firhill in the summer in a player/youth coach capacity.