Sons' sorrow

22 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:
On 23/01/2020 at 19:20, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:
Are we sure it's Kenny he means?

Just incase anyone missed it.

Not sure what other Millers are out there that we might need but a striker is vital.Im not holding up much hope of JQ getting clearance any time soon.Need a winger and another defender as i reckon JM is finished with us and CS and RT are as good as gone.

So the scenario we all predicted is playing out - trundling through January, undoing all our good work whilst Duffy sits with his thumb up his arse and waits until the last minute to sign folk. We haven't had a fit striker for over a month now.

The Jai Quitongo rumour sounds great but how long are we going to hold out for him to be given clearance? How straight forward is that process? I'd heard a rumour a while back that he was planning on taking his old club to court so there must be some issues there.

The Sam Wardrop signing looks a good one but that's it so far. We have lost 4 players this month (3 of them starters) and brought in 1 replacement. Considering amateur standard nonsense like Tierney and McCluskey were picked ahead of the other new signing yesterday I think we can write him off as squad filler.

It absolutely astounds me that an experienced guy like Duffy isn't better prepared for a transfer window. If only we could combine his coaching ability with Aitken's enthusiasm in the transfer window.

Does seem like we go through this every season with August and January more or less being complete write offs.

When did we last win a league match in early to mid-January? Feels like years ago.

It’s a big week for the club again, no doubt about it. We have to see multiple incomers. 

Why we blaming Duffy regarding signings? He has stated that a few loanees were forthcoming, until their parent clubs decided temporarily against them coming because of their own injury issues.

No doubt Duffy is trying, but so is every other club, and no doubt our club are not hardly innocent in the process (brabco, I’m looking at you).

Still a few days to go PITK

Why we blaming Duffy regarding signings? He has stated that a few loanees were forthcoming, until their parent clubs decided temporarily against them coming because of their own injury issues.

No doubt Duffy is trying, but so is every other club, and no doubt our club are not hardly innocent in the process (brabco, I’m looking at you).

Still a few days to go PITK
Because he's the manager. If deals fall through its up to him to have a backup plan.

I would feel a bit happier in all of this if I thought that at some point in the recent past the DFC Board, or elements of it, had sat down with JiIm Duffy to discuss and plan for the second half of the season - I'm not altogether sure this has happened and I think it should have.  Whilst the points on the board until now is reasonable, it should have been plain that our small squad contained players who were not of Division One standard and we had become quite reliant on certain individuals - eg Hutton, Tumilty, the two centre-backs and Layne.

You cannot sustain that over a season and if our squad-building has become reliant on, for example,  the whim of the Iranian FA then that is not a comfortable place to be.  People say not to panic, and I'm generally fine with that, but if we do not see new faces in the coming days then we are at serious risk, not only of rapidly sliding down the table, but of risking at some point not being able to put eleven players on the park.

Fantastic goal-saving clearance apart, I thought he looked exactly how you would expect someone to look, who hasn't played football (apart from a couple of hours in reserve games) in over a year. His touch and decision making were a wee bit off at times. I'm sure he'll improve once he's had a few more games, as it's unrealistic to expect him to be close to the level he was at previously.

How did Wardrop look on his return?

17 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I would feel a bit happier in all of this if I thought that at some point in the recent past the DFC Board, or elements of it, had sat down with JiIm Duffy to discuss and plan for the second half of the season - I'm not altogether sure this has happened and I think it should have.  Whilst the points on the board until now is reasonable, it should have been plain that our small squad contained players who were not of Division One standard and we had become quite reliant on certain individuals - eg Hutton, Tumilty, the two centre-backs and Layne.

You cannot sustain that over a season and if our squad-building has become reliant on, for example,  the whim of the Iranian FA then that is not a comfortable place to be.  People say not to panic, and I'm generally fine with that, but if we do not see new faces in the coming days then we are at serious risk, not only of rapidly sliding down the table, but of risking at some point not being able to put eleven players on the park.

Has anyone considered that Duffy has his hands tied by lack of money? Perhaps his targets are difficult to get signed up as funds are limited. 

Has anyone considered that Duffy has his hands tied by lack of money? Perhaps his targets are difficult to get signed up as funds are limited. 

A lot of people overly quick to criticise Duffy during this window, but, I can kinda understand it given Morton fans warned us he always waits right till the end of windows and picks up what’s left.

36 minutes ago, Homer Sandoval said:

It's impossible that he doesn't have money. He tried to extend the loans of Tumilty and Frizzel, you can't do that if you have no money. He's also talked about trying to do deals for 2 weeks now, again if he had no money I think he'd be quick to say.

23 minutes ago, cameron2000 said:

A lot of people overly quick to criticise Duffy during this window, but, I can kinda understand it given Morton fans warned us he always waits right till the end of windows and picks up what’s left.

I don't know why this would make him immune to criticism. We've had chances in the last 4 weeks to push for the top 4 and our squad hasn't been good enough to do it. We've not filled a bench in months. That's despite him apparently having a budget for top 4 and the board looking for top 4. It absolutely deserves criticism.