Sons' sorrow

16 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

If we go into Saturday with no new bodies, and injured players making up numbers on the bench we will get shagged rotten.

Given we're only in the middle of the the transfer window I fear this is the most likely outcome.

It seems to me there's no question Jim is a good man-manger and coach but I'm unconvinced he's entirely motivated to stay beyond this season and will point to lack of resource if we slither down the league over the next few months.

If we go into Saturday's game with no new players we will most definitely get a pumping.

Also I see it as a bit of a slap in the face to the supporters especially with so many deciding to make the trip all the way to Aberdeen. All that way to see a depleted squad with what should be considered as bench warmers making up the starting 11 and maybe only 1 outfield player on the bench if we are lucky.

Duffy needs to get his finger out and get some players signed up in the next few days. There is no excuse for this lack of preparation. He must have known the loan players were going back to their clubs and knew who's all injured and how many players that would leave us with.

What worries me is there aren't even any rumours, fanciful or realistic.
What I find concerning is that rather unusually all of our loanees have now departed in the space of a few days. There were solid grounds for Tumilty returning but for the other two I worry that it is indicative of something deeper - are the players and/or their clubs unhappy ?

I’m willingly making a modest monthly contribution to the Manager's Fund but I understand that the take-up has been poor. The apparent silence from the club won't help that.

The most pressing issue right now is a lack of bodies. Regardless of quality, numbers are an issue. We're asking a lot of a small group of players. Beyond basic numbers we're also short on quality. We have issues at right back, no cover in central defence or for our left back, a lack of plan B if Joe McKee isnt creating, poor options out wide, particularly with Crossan's inconsistent form, and no real alternative to Layne up front.

Squad really needs at least 5, maybe 6 additions. 

The most pressing issue right now is a lack of bodies. Regardless of quality, numbers are an issue. We're asking a lot of a small group of players. Beyond basic numbers we're also short on quality. We have issues at right back, no cover in central defence or for our left back, a lack of plan B if Joe McKee isnt creating, poor options out wide, particularly with Crossan's inconsistent form, and no real alternative to Layne up front.
Squad really needs at least 5, maybe 6 additions. 

I’ll be delighted to be proven wrong but there isn’t a hope of us getting 5 or 6 in this month. Realistically I reckon it’ll be 2 maybe 3.

Courtesy of Jan and the Lennox; here's Jim saying that deals had been agreed, but were then out on hold by the parent clubs.

I think he's done a fantastic job in getting a decent tune out of this team. I was really pessimistic when some of these players arrived and I've been proven wrong.

That said, we do need players in.20200114_202445.jpeg

Courtesy of Jan and the Lennox; here's Jim saying that deals had been agreed, but were then out on hold by the parent clubs.

I think he's done a fantastic job in getting a decent tune out of this team. I was really pessimistic when some of these players arrived and I've been proven wrong.

That said, we do need players in.20200114_202445.thumb.jpeg.74c2ad3640a35477fb97e50ddd0efef1.jpeg
So what happens now ?

Does that mean Duffy doesn't have backup plans? What if these apparent deals never come to fruition? Do we just scramble around trying to sign anyone who will join us and watch other decent options head elsewhere whilst we "wait"? I'll be extremely disappointed if all the hard work from the first half of the season is undone by a month and a half of squad chaos and waiting around.

I do find his comment about filling jerseys quite funny when a fair whack of his summer signings are just that.

Duffy has to be one of the most frustrating managers we've had. A brilliant coach, but by god his transfer dealings are brutal.

2 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

What I find concerning is that rather unusually all of our loanees have now departed in the space of a few days. There were solid grounds for Tumilty returning but for the other two I worry that it is indicative of something deeper - are the players and/or their clubs unhappy ?

I’m willingly making a modest monthly contribution to the Manager's Fund but I understand that the take-up has been poor. The apparent silence from the club won't help that.

On the Frizzell situation, I'm 99% sure if he was fit we'd have extended his deal without a second thought - but the twice I've asked Duffy about him, the first thing he's mentioned is his fitness and that he won't move until he knows what the deal is there.

I actually can't remember off the top of my head what his injury was, but if it'll keep him out for, say, 2 months (and you'd imagine he'll be on decent money) then I can understand why he wouldn't extend it.

I've got the worry bead that suspects Frizzel and Shields knew their intentions a few weeks ago and what we have now is Duffy playing the game expected of him; support the young player and their parent club by not rocking the boat or making a fuss.

If there's another potential loan player from Rangers or Killie then that might make some sense.

In other news; Daz MacKinnon has signed for Partick Thistle yesterday.

Wardrop must be a realistic target for us.
What we need, enjoyed his time here before, almost came back last season and is returning from injury and is needing game time so surely the arabs would be up for letting him go on loan.

I don’t disagree but money will come into it. As will how attractive an option we are. Would DU and Wardrop (as an example) prefer a loan to us or say, Alloa?

5 minutes ago, DumbartonTheSons said:

I don’t disagree but money will come into it. As will how attractive an option we are. Would DU and Wardrop (as an example) prefer a loan to us or say, Alloa?

Depends if they are in for him but last season he was coming to us before his injury happened so there is obviously a good connection between the player and the club and I don't imagine our finances have changed too much between last season and now. So if we could afford him then I'd say we could afford him now.

The squad is soo thin. I’m sure Duffy doesn’t want that either but money obviously dictates that.

Shiels going back is no loss, personally thought he was awful. Frizzle has an injury to his leg and is still limping when walking apparently so will be out for a fair few weeks, hence the reason why the manager didn’t want to extend the loan.

We will add two loans maximum and have recalled the two out on loan at the junior side. It’s not ideal but it is what it is.

Hopefully we can add a right back and a winger/forward. Our starting 11 was decent but with the loans leaving that has left the squad short in numbers and quality.

Between the managers fund and the Aberdeen game hopefully the club will give Duffy the funds to improve the situation.