Sons' sorrow

McMillan strikes me as the type of guy who just wants to be playing. And Duffy strikes me as the kind of manager who wouldn't want to a keep a player just to sit on the bench.

That said I'd rather we had kept him until January and then maybe rejigged the squad a wee bit. 

2 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Was checking the form table. Turns out Dumbarton are the form team in the league, if you count the previous 5 games anyway.

What a league this is.

Absolutely wide open from 6th place upwards.

Only 6 points separating all 6 teams.

Huge win for Clyde to go 7th on 21 points.

1 minute ago, Silverton End said:

Absolutely wide open from 6th place upwards.

Only 6 points separating all 6 teams.

Huge win for Clyde to go 7th on 21 points.

Yep, don't think I've ever seen a league like it at the half way point. Montrose in 6th place must be closer to the top than 2nd place was this time last season.

10 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Am I correct in saying we've won every league match in which Scullion has started, @Jan Vojáček?

That would be correct, he started against Peterhead and Stranraer in August prior to yesterday.

I like him. It's cliched but he has something about him, there were times where he was rusty, and Duffy admitted that he was totally knackered come the last minute - but he's got a wee bit of a spark about him, he works hard and he isn't the sort to shirk a challenge. Given McCluskey and Shiels have been pretty poor I'd like to see him given a wee run in the side.

Edited by Jan Vojáček

That would be correct, he started against Peterhead and Stranraer in August prior to yesterday.
I like him. It's cliched but he has something about him, there were times where he was rusty, and Duffy admitted that he was totally knackered come the last minute - but he's got a wee bit of a spark about him, he works hard and he isn't the sort to shirk a challenge. Given McCluskey and Shiels have been pretty poor I'd like to see him given a wee run in the side.
I agree entirely and indeed recommended he get a run out about eight weeks back. McLuskey buzzes about but repeatedly to little effect, and as regards Shiels, I can't believe there aren't better loanees to be had.

3 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:
7 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I agree entirely and indeed recommended he get a run out about eight weeks back. McLuskey buzzes about but repeatedly to little effect, and as regards Shiels, I can't believe there aren't better loanees to be had.

Would like to see Tierney, Mcluskey and Shiels punted.There are definitely better options out there.Squad does need strengthening if we hope to maintain momentum.I echo the comments above about Scullion.Give the boy a chance and a run in the team.

I would quite like to see us throwing a contract extension McGeever's way in January.

He started off a very shaky defensively IMO and I feared the worse when I seen our defense over the first few weeks but he has improved drastically over the course of the season.

More importantly when was the last time we had a Centre Back that could find the back of the net with his head?

He has scored 5 already this season and is quite often the only bit of hope when the team decide to have an attacking offday. A corner or a free kick can so easily lead to a goal with him in the box.

He's not the only one I would throw an extension to but just thought he deserved a little recognition.

I would quite like to see a different approach this year with a few players signed up before they become free to leave at the end of the season.

I'd like us to.maybe have a chat to players like McGeever, McKee, Hutton, maybe even Layne and Quitongo to get them signed up and stop us panic signing during close season.

34 minutes ago, super-son said:

I would quite like to see us throwing a contract extension McGeever's way in January.

He started off a very shaky defensively IMO and I feared the worse when I seen our defense over the first few weeks but he has improved drastically over the course of the season.

More importantly when was the last time we had a Centre Back that could find the back of the net with his head?

He has scored 5 already this season and is quite often the only bit of hope when the team decide to have an attacking offday. A corner or a free kick can so easily lead to a goal with him in the box.

He's not the only one I would throw an extension to but just thought he deserved a little recognition.

I would quite like to see a different approach this year with a few players signed up before they become free to leave at the end of the season.

I'd like us to.maybe have a chat to players like McGeever, McKee, Hutton, maybe even Layne and Quitongo to get them signed up and stop us panic signing during close season.

Problem with that is Duffy's deal is up in the summer and I'm not sure he'll plan on continuing. Will players sign up when they don't know who the gaffer will be? 

That's a fair point.

I would like us to do our best to try and retain Duffy but I know that's not always possible.

Is there anything in particular that has you thinking that might be the case?

Where do you think Duffy would be off to in the summer?

EDIT:

Maybe we should also be throwing an improved contract to Duffy as well?

2 hours ago, super-son said:

That's a fair point.

I would like us to do our best to try and retain Duffy but I know that's not always possible.

Is there anything in particular that has you thinking that might be the case?

Where do you think Duffy would be off to in the summer?

EDIT:

Maybe we should also be throwing an improved contract to Duffy as well?

I could be wrong but he appeared to need convincing to stay last summer even when he was contracted. Perhaps he fancies staying on but I just have a feeling he'll move on, and to be honest, as much as he's doing well on the pitch I think we need someone a bit more involved in the off field stuff, perhaps a slightly younger guy with a bit more enthusiasm for bedding the club in the community.

We cant go about throwing improved contracts at players for next season just now. We dont know what league we will be in (yes it will be league 1 but we may get lucky if we sneak into playoffs) so if we go up do we really want some of these guys sticking about because let's be honest, Layne, quitongo would struggle in the championship and Hutton, although having a decent season, has already shown he doesn't have a huge influence on games against FT teams. Not to mention, we could get these guys signed up on bumper long term deals for them to do their ACL tomorrow and we would be stuck paying for them for a year. We will continue to do business the way we do it, it's not ideal and causes us a bit of stress trying to throw a team together but it makes perfect sense for a club like us.