Sons' sorrow

30 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I don't know what's worse, the fact that Michael Paton has been included in the strikers vote or the fact that more than 1 person has actually voted for him.

Wild.

Can't believe he got a deal at queens this year.  One of the worst players we have ever signed.

The striker vote has started, I will look into my crystal ball and say that Fleming and Prunty will be the 2 strikers chosen, better give the fans a big wave next time they are down!
I'll sell anyone that wants them this weekends lottery numbers......£5 a head

I see we may not have any highlights this weekend which is a shame.

I wonder if the club would be willing to approach Clydebank College or the likes to see if any of their media students fancied doing a weekly highlights package. I think a few other clubs do a similar thing. Good experience for the students and a highlights package for the fans - a win win.

C&G Systems really are a great partner and we’re lucky to have them on board. The latest initiative of engaging children on rail safety whilst getting them involved in DFC is just one example of the positive impact they’re having at the club. Great to see.

Also, those tartan scarfs [emoji7] £35 is great value for the quality. One coming in my Xmas stocking hopefully!

I've been having a wee think about things from yesterday, and I reckon we need a bit of a shakeup. Call me radical, but if I was Duffy I'd be tempted to throw something like this out next week.

Conor Brennan

Jordan McMillan Ryan McGeever Morgyn Neill Rico Quitongo

Reghan Tumilty Joe McKee Ruaridh Langan Adam Frizzell

Isaac Layne Matthew Shiels

"Have you totally lost your mind, Jan" I hear you all ask. And the answer is most probably. But, let me explain my thinking here.

Tumilty has been poor defensively for a wee while now, but makes up for it with his energy and skill going forward - and the fact he's a fantastic crosser of a ball. I'm fairly certain he's played on the wing/at wing-back in his early career, and he's going to be more effective out there than Stefan McCluskey or the current PJ Crossan. That also allows us to bring McMillan back in after his outstanding showing against Forfar a few weeks ago. With Tumilty in front of him he'll have a bit of defensive protection and won't need to burst a gut up and down the line.

Aside from that McGeever and Neill are fine together, they have excellent games (such as at Broadwood) and poorer games (East Fife at home) but I think they're decent enough, Quitongo is fine too. Not fantastic, but he has a big heart and is a fighter.  I like that.

Further forward I've solved the Hutton/Carswell problem by dropping them both. Now that's harsh on Hutton who has been good this season, but we saw yesterday that neither him nor McKee can really play together in a midfield two, and there's no chance I'd be dropping McKee who is one of few players we have with the quality on the ball to win games. Langan has been impressive when he's played, is more mobile than Hutton and McKee and will do a great job of the ugly stuff allowing McKee to spray some aesthetically pleasing passes around. Frizzell on the other side is a natural choice given he's a smashing wee player.

Up top our options are restricted, but I've plumped with Matty Shiels. The left-back/left-winger and now striker. I'll be honest. I've seen very little positive from him so far, aside from two big moments. His driving run against East Fife, and the way he burst in on goal (before making a mess of the finish) yesterday. He's very quick, strong, good in the air and would be a handful for defenders...If he doesn't hide. Imo it's clear that he doesn't have the skill to be a winger (a la Frizzell) nor does he have the defensive capabilities to be a left-back. But he started off as a striker, and I think given a run up there we might see why. He would also give Isaac Layne a bit of support - which he's been seriously lacking almost all season. Layne has moments where he doesn't look like a footballer, when he stumbles over his legs and concedes endless fouls...but he also has moments where he looks like a real bustling handful, and he has the knack of being in the right place at the right time. Him and Shiels could cause issues.

Now I know there's A) No chance of any of the above happening and B) That it's totally wild, but yesterday we looked stale and predictable. Tumilty getting beaten defensively, a one-paced central midfield, Frizzell really our only threat and Layne coming up against three players every time he touched the ball. A radical rethink might just help to freshen things up a bit. As wild as I know my team is.

I would also hand the armband to one of McMillan, McGeever or Neill. Just in case anyone was wondering. McMillan has captained the Pars and is undoubtedly a big character and leader on the pitch, McGeever has captained Queen's Park and I like the way he acts on the park (even if it was a communication breakdown that caused the second goal yesterday), and big Morgyn is all passion. He'll captain someone one day.

Tear me to shreds and make me feel as clueless as we all know I am.

Edited by Jan Vojáček
Had Shiels and Layne the wrong way around.

I've been having a wee think about things from yesterday, and I reckon we need a bit of a shakeup. Call me radical, but if I was Duffy I'd be tempted to throw something like this out next week.

Conor Brennan

Jordan McMillan Ryan McGeever Morgyn Neill Rico Quitongo

Reghan Tumilty Joe McKee Ruaridh Langan Adam Frizzell

Isaac Layne Matthew Shiels

"Have you totally lost your mind, Jan" I hear you all ask. And the answer is most probably. But, let me explain my thinking here.
Tumilty has been poor defensively for a wee while now, but makes up for it with his energy and skill going forward - and the fact he's a fantastic crosser of a ball. I'm fairly certain he's played on the wing/at wing-back in his early career, and he's going to be more effective out there than Stefan McCluskey or the current PJ Crossan. That also allows us to bring McMillan back in after his outstanding showing against Forfar a few weeks ago. With Tumilty in front of him he'll have a bit of defensive protection and won't need to burst a gut up and down the line.
Aside from that McGeever and Neill are fine together, they have excellent games (such as at Broadwood) and poorer games (East Fife at home) but I think they're decent enough, Quitongo is fine too. Not fantastic, but he has a big heart and is a fighter.  I like that.
Further forward I've solved the Hutton/Carswell problem by dropping them both. Now that's harsh on Hutton who has been good this season, but we saw yesterday that neither him nor McKee can really play together in a midfield two, and there's no chance I'd be dropping McKee who is one of few players we have with the quality on the ball to win games. Langan has been impressive when he's played, is more mobile than Hutton and McKee and will do a great job of the ugly stuff allowing McKee to spray some aesthetically pleasing passes around. Frizzell on the other side is a natural choice given he's a smashing wee player.
Up top our options are restricted, but I've plumped with Matty Shiels. The left-back/left-winger and now striker. I'll be honest. I've seen very little positive from him so far, aside from two big moments. His driving run against East Fife, and the way he burst in on goal (before making a mess of the finish) yesterday. He's very quick, strong, good in the air and would be a handful for defenders...If he doesn't hide. Imo it's clear that he doesn't have the skill to be a winger (a la Frizzell) nor does he have the defensive capabilities to be a left-back. But he started off as a striker, and I think given a run up there we might see why. He would also give Isaac Layne a bit of support - which he's been seriously lacking almost all season. Layne has moments where he doesn't look like a footballer, when he stumbles over his legs and concedes endless fouls...but he also has moments where he looks like a real bustling handful, and he has the knack of being in the right place at the right time. Him and Shiels could cause issues.
Now I know there's A) No chance of any of the above happening and B) That it's totally wild, but yesterday we looked stale and predictable. Tumilty getting beaten defensively, a one-paced central midfield, Frizzell really our only threat and Layne coming up against three players every time he touched the ball. A radical rethink might just help to freshen things up a bit. As wild as I know my team is.
I would also hand the armband to one of McMillan, McGeever or Neill. Just in case anyone was wondering. McMillan has captained the Pars and is undoubtedly a big character and leader on the pitch, McGeever has captained Queen's Park and I like the way he acts on the park (even if it was a communication breakdown that caused the second goal yesterday), and big Morgyn is all passion. He'll captain someone one day.
Tear me to shreds and make me feel as clueless as we all know I am.
I commend your boldness Jan, and your ideas have one primary virtue - we have hardly been a silently purring machine this season which no-one dare upset.

The Shiels conundrum is also interesting; he provided the one genuine chance we had yesterday by dint of pace in the attacking area, and not for the first time in his spell here. Defensively he has been found wanting but he is not without potential

We currently lurch from dogged display to insipid pish, but Stranraer apart the natives below are now stirring and by the New Year we could find ourselves in ninth. And for that reason I second the motion.