Sons' sorrow

Wee Adam F ran himself ragged looking for an angle and space but when he was looking up to the stars to see Neill’s hoof ball clearances, I felt for him. He cut in to good effect but he didn’t have his eye in yesterday. Crossan should have used less of his energy arguing with his team mates and used it to try and turn his limpet like defender more.

Jesus, the comedy defending and goalkeeping though.

Half time came at the wrong time for us yesterday. EF were all over the place at that stage.

8 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:
3 hours ago, BallochSonsFan said:
What did he post?

That he was wearing his poppy and was "totally disappointed" that the team didn't have them on their shirts.

What if someone had to chest the ball down? Could be painful.

Surely he's not suggesting that a part-time side gets an entire new set of kits made?

A minute's silence on the Saturday closest to the event is enough in my opinion...

4 hours ago, Jumbo Muir said:

Wee Adam F ran himself ragged looking for an angle and space but when he was looking up to the stars to see Neill’s hoof ball clearances, I felt for him. He cut in to good effect but he didn’t have his eye in yesterday. Crossan should have used less of his energy arguing with his team mates and used it to try and turn his limpet like defender more.

Jesus, the comedy defending and goalkeeping though.

Half time came at the wrong time for us yesterday. EF were all over the place at that stage.

Limpet like defender? 

12 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Christ knows what has happened to Carswell but he's been absolutely barking all season.

Tumilty is rapidly starting to prove Hopkin right for punting him out on loan. He's been dreadful for weeks. Infact I can't even remember the last good game he had. Worst player on the park yesterday IMO.

Shiels simply isn't anywhere near good enough. It also doesn't help that he's an absolute shitebag. At one point yesterday he slowed down as himself and an East Fife player ran towards the ball so he didn't have to get involved in a challenge. Send him back to Rangers tomorrow plz. I don't particularly rate Quitongo but I'm desperate for him to return.

The two centre backs are shockingly bad when they have an off day, which is all too often unfortunately. Not helped by having an utter bombscare of a keeper behind them who has at least 3 catastrophic errors in him per match.

Hutton has been good this season but I was baffled by his motm award yesterday. That should have gone to Frizzel IMO, the only player who wanted to get on the ball and do something with it. I just wish we could get him involved more and he'd go looking for the ball more.

McCluskey is garbage. I don't think I've ever witnessed a player with less end product. I'm not just talking crosses, finishing or playing a hollywood killer pass, this fucker struggles to complete a 4 yard pass. Bin.

The striker situation is critical. Layne is pretty shite, PJ Crossan can't play up there and Tierney is nowhere near the standard required. An absolute priority in the first week of January should be securing a striker who can walk into the starting 11.

As for the bench - Langan should be starting over Carswell IMO, Layne should be starting because we have nothing else. Pettigrew, Tierney, Zata, Scullion and Crawford are squad filler and I wouldn't be particularly comfortable with any of them playing, even as a sub. Perhaps it's harsh on Scullion who has looked ok in flashes but it's clear Duffy doesn't rate him.

Lack of depth, lack of quality and full of errors. Duffy's vile hoofball tactics aren't helping either, especially when we are punting the ball up to guys who are 5ft nothing. We just need to hope Duffy can pull a few strings in January and that the mentality of the players (which can't be questioned IMO) will see us comfortably avoid the playoffs.

Pretty much spot-on IMO.  I'm like a broken record on the subject of Carswell and Hutton being paired in midfield but East Fife became the latest team to highlighted the issue.  Similarly, the Peterhead home game apart, the two centre-backs' painful lack of pace is exposed time and again.

So, what to do ?  Well if Duffy has the cojones, he could drop Carswell back to CB and restore Langan to midifeld.  We weren't scintillating with this formation a few weeks back but it was a damned sight better than the stuff of late, and Hutton was arguably a changed player.  That's a sticking plaster though, and there are problems from 1 to 11; we just need to try and scrape some results from somewhere 😯

9 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:
12 hours ago, BallochSonsFan said:
What did he post?

That he was wearing his poppy and was "totally disappointed" that the team didn't have them on their shirts.

He needs to f**k up. Poppy bullying and the ‘who can remember ra best’ brigade increasingly alarm me. A moment of sombre reflection is enough.

Edited by George Parr

10 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Watching The Terrace from Friday. Your young team comes across really well in the wee segment they had. Are old folk really against them? These young boys going to the games should be applauded, not victimised.

Its complicated.

The young fans want to generate noise and bring colour to the game. That means a drum and flag waving. The drum is a real sore point because it's alien to the older generation. Fans who have been going to Dumbarton games for 40-50 years are suddenly having to contend with the kind of noise they never previously had to. They don't have a problem with the kids but the idea of a drum at the football is just way out of what they've experienced for all those years. In some cases the drumming can affect a person's health concerns. Others just find the noise a bit too much for them.

I'm all for drums at football matches. I'm a big fan of drums at hockey games and when I travel to Germany I always get tickets in my team's standing section as that's where the most noise is generated. Some of the drummers who follow sports teams are brilliant and it's incredible that they can keep a solid rhythm going for 90 minutes. I can get that older fans may find the drum a nuisance. I'd encourage the kids to practice a little to up their drumming skills and be able to keep a steady rhythm. 

Ultimately there's compromise to be made on both sides. The kids, to their absolute credit, have already done so by trying to muffle the drum sound a little bit. They've shown a willingness to try to find a solution. I know fans will want to keep their season ticket seats but it's possible that a little compromise on the other side would allow those who aren't comfortable with the drum to sit further away from it. I think we could accommodate most season ticket holders in the blocks of seats nearest the half way line to give them a bit of separation from our young drummers and singers if they wanted it.

The biggest thing is the culture clash. I'm 40. I'm Dumbarton's present. These kids are hopefully Dumbarton's future. If that's the way fan culture is going in Scottish football then no matter how long it takes, drumming will become more common at all grounds.

10 hours ago, sarti pooh said:

I was way off 😂

Not so far off actually. I had replied to him, talking about a debate that Off The Ball had on Saturday night, which was along the lines of instead of spending the (probably considerable) cost of getting a one-off set of strips, why didn't clubs just donate that cost to the poppy appeal instead?

Its complicated.
The young fans want to generate noise and bring colour to the game. That means a drum and flag waving. The drum is a real sore point because it's alien to the older generation. Fans who have been going to Dumbarton games for 40-50 years are suddenly having to contend with the kind of noise they never previously had to. They don't have a problem with the kids but the idea of a drum at the football is just way out of what they've experienced for all those years. In some cases the drumming can affect a person's health concerns. Others just find the noise a bit too much for them.
I'm all for drums at football matches. I'm a big fan of drums at hockey games and when I travel to Germany I always get tickets in my team's standing section as that's where the most noise is generated. Some of the drummers who follow sports teams are brilliant and it's incredible that they can keep a solid rhythm going for 90 minutes. I can get that older fans may find the drum a nuisance. I'd encourage the kids to practice a little to up their drumming skills and be able to keep a steady rhythm. 
Ultimately there's compromise to be made on both sides. The kids, to their absolute credit, have already done so by trying to muffle the drum sound a little bit. They've shown a willingness to try to find a solution. I know fans will want to keep their season ticket seats but it's possible that a little compromise on the other side would allow those who aren't comfortable with the drum to sit further away from it. I think we could accommodate most season ticket holders in the blocks of seats nearest the half way line to give them a bit of separation from our young drummers and singers if they wanted it.
The biggest thing is the culture clash. I'm 40. I'm Dumbarton's present. These kids are hopefully Dumbarton's future. If that's the way fan culture is going in Scottish football then no matter how long it takes, drumming will become more common at all grounds.

In an ideal world both our grounds would have a wee bit of terracing. Terracing for the young boys and those that want a bit of atmosphere. Stand for those that don't.

16 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Watching The Terrace from Friday. Your young team comes across really well in the wee segment they had. Are old folk really against them? These young boys going to the games should be applauded, not victimised.

On the whole they've been welcomed and these young lads have been very well behaved. The season we got relegated from the Championship we had another group of young boisterous lads come down and they created a bit of bother home and away (lobbing drumsticks at former captain Andy Graham after Alloa equalised in the play-offs and the infamous "trashing" of the toilets at Airdrie). That group of lads were all just OF fans without the bus fare looking to have their own wee Union Bears/Green Brigade, but they stopped coming due to a number of fans pulling them up for their shite/got bored of us. I think some older guys were wary this was just another bunch of kids tagging along until they got bored and when a drum appeared some existing season ticket holders either complained to the club or on here that the drum made the game unbearable for them. I do think "drumgate" has been blown massively out of proportion and as BSF states a compromise can (and has) been found. 

I sit just next to them, sure the drumming can be out of time sometimes, but the wee guy is about 11 years old and I'm sure he'll get better (although Roland from the Swiss Sons was seriously pissed off with him on his last visit :lol: ). These kids have made up songs for just about every member of our team and they were still going strong at 4-2 down on Saturday, that coupled with the banners and flags they bring down I think makes the home end a much more enjoyable place. As you say, they must be encouraged.

14 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Pretty much spot-on IMO.  I'm like a broken record on the subject of Carswell and Hutton being paired in midfield but East Fife became the latest team to highlighted the issue.  Similarly, the Peterhead home game apart, the two centre-backs' painful lack of pace is exposed time and again.

So, what to do ?  Well if Duffy has the cojones, he could drop Carswell back to CB and restore Langan to midifeld.  We weren't scintillating with this formation a few weeks back but it was a damned sight better than the stuff of late, and Hutton was arguably a changed player.  That's a sticking plaster though, and there are problems from 1 to 11; we just need to try and scrape some results from somewhere 😯

What? After your comments to me at Airdrie?

35 minutes ago, sarti pooh said:

Come on now, who voted for pettigrew at right back in team of the decade?

Fess up.

It seems we've got a mixture of things causing some weird voting here. You'll have your idiots who just vote for the player they fancy, you'll have players voting for themselves, you'll have former team mates voting for their pals they used to play with (Bobby Barr voting for Brennan in the keeper vote is the evidence of this) and finally you'll have those who choose the most ridiculous option available because they like to watch the world burn. We can only hope that the common sense among the rest of us will be enough to defeat this silliness.

Having said all that, anyone not voting Paul McGinn for right back should make themselves known so that your face can be passed to the stewards and your entry can be revoked for the rest of your life.

Edited by The Moonster