Sons' sorrow

Quite surprised that Shay took the goalkeeper position. Imo he was probably our goalkeeper of the 2000-2010 decade, but his return to us - whilst successful for the club - wasn’t quite as successful for him. He had a decent season the year we won the playoffs, but that aside was second choice when Ewings was fit after that, and then third choice when Rogers came in.

Announce goalkeeper debate.

1 hour ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Quite surprised that Shay took the goalkeeper position. Imo he was probably our goalkeeper of the 2000-2010 decade, but his return to us - whilst successful for the club - wasn’t quite as successful for him. He had a decent season the year we won the playoffs, but that aside was second choice when Ewings was fit after that, and then third choice when Rogers came in.

Aye probably a fair assessment there.

He wasn't my pick but I can see why fans would have picked him.

I fully expected Shay to get it, not because he's the best but because he was a long serving player and a bit of a fans favourite over the years. I suspect he wont be the only setimental inclusion. I'm not actually too bothered by Shay getting in, I always quite liked him and the performance away at Arbroath in the playoffs is arguably one of the finest, and most important, individual performances of the last 30 years.

I will start a fucking riot if Paul McGinn doesn't get in, Aitken is named gaffer and Dowie gets in over Findlay, Graham or Mango Barr.

I fully expected Shay to get it, not because he's the best but because he was a long serving player and a bit of a fans favourite over the years. I suspect he wont be the only setimental inclusion. I'm not actually too bothered by Shay getting in, I always quite liked him and the performance away at Arbroath in the playoffs is arguably one of the finest, and most important, individual performances of the last 30 years.

I will start a fucking riot if Paul McGinn doesn't get in, Aitken is named gaffer and Dowie gets in over Findlay, Graham or Mango Barr.
Paul McGinn should be getting 100% of the vote imo.

Of the keepers that made the final Grindlay is easily the worst from a pure ability point of view. As has been said though I’m not exactly surprised he won, particularly as Martin and Rogers are fairly evenly matched so probably split the vote of those voting based purely on ability.

For what it’s worth I think Martin was the best all round keeper. Rogers could be outstanding (I always felt he’d save a penalty) but also had the odd horror show in him, I still have nightmares about him pumping the ball high into the wind in a 4-0 defeat to Queen of The South. For all the talk of a goalkeeper debate at the time, Jazza saw Grindlay off with ease in the end.

Edit: Just wanted to say it was a fantastic segment on A View From The Terrace last night. The Young Sons did themselves proud and everybody else really shone the club in a good light.

Edited by GordyBrow

Strange game...we started badly and seemed to take a while to adapt to the new formation. Unfortunately by the time we did, we were 2 down. After that though I thought we controlled the rest of the first half and must have been disappointed to hear the half time whistle

Second half? We didn't turn up and East Fife deserved the 3 points

Poor performances from Carswell and McCluskey

Baffling substitutions from Duffy taking Sheils off and moving Carswell to RB...we looked so unbalanced

Got to agree on the corners, we've scored two almost identical goals against East Fife in that manner yet yesterday after we scored one we seemed reluctant to try it again.
As a Fife fan, we were so glad to see the short corner tactic, we can usually defend these. It's the straight forward looping cross to the edge of the 6yd box , you know the kind from amateur football, that we are shocking at defending. Last season, we reached a point where id rather see us concede a penalty, than a corner. At least the keeper has a 50/50 chance of getting it right from 12yds!

Strange game...we started badly and seemed to take a while to adapt to the new formation. Unfortunately by the time we did, we were 2 down. After that though I thought we controlled the rest of the first half and must have been disappointed to hear the half time whistle

Baffling substitutions from Duffy taking Sheils off and moving Carswell to RB...we looked so unbalanced
Christ knows what has happened to Carswell but he's been absolutely barking all season.

Tumilty is rapidly starting to prove Hopkin right for punting him out on loan. He's been dreadful for weeks. Infact I can't even remember the last good game he had. Worst player on the park yesterday IMO.

Shiels simply isn't anywhere near good enough. It also doesn't help that he's an absolute shitebag. At one point yesterday he slowed down as himself and an East Fife player ran towards the ball so he didn't have to get involved in a challenge. Send him back to Rangers tomorrow plz. I don't particularly rate Quitongo but I'm desperate for him to return.

The two centre backs are shockingly bad when they have an off day, which is all too often unfortunately. Not helped by having an utter bombscare of a keeper behind them who has at least 3 catastrophic errors in him per match.

Hutton has been good this season but I was baffled by his motm award yesterday. That should have gone to Frizzel IMO, the only player who wanted to get on the ball and do something with it. I just wish we could get him involved more and he'd go looking for the ball more.

McCluskey is garbage. I don't think I've ever witnessed a player with less end product. I'm not just talking crosses, finishing or playing a hollywood killer pass, this fucker struggles to complete a 4 yard pass. Bin.

The striker situation is critical. Layne is pretty shite, PJ Crossan can't play up there and Tierney is nowhere near the standard required. An absolute priority in the first week of January should be securing a striker who can walk into the starting 11.

As for the bench - Langan should be starting over Carswell IMO, Layne should be starting because we have nothing else. Pettigrew, Tierney, Zata, Scullion and Crawford are squad filler and I wouldn't be particularly comfortable with any of them playing, even as a sub. Perhaps it's harsh on Scullion who has looked ok in flashes but it's clear Duffy doesn't rate him.

Lack of depth, lack of quality and full of errors. Duffy's vile hoofball tactics aren't helping either, especially when we are punting the ball up to guys who are 5ft nothing. We just need to hope Duffy can pull a few strings in January and that the mentality of the players (which can't be questioned IMO) will see us comfortably avoid the playoffs.

Think your RB got changed because he was getting ripped a new one by Danny Denholm every time we attacked down that side!!!
But agree that once you scored your 1st you took charge for the remainder of the half and were unlucky not to go in at the break ahead, don’t know what words of wisdom Duffy imparted to your side in the dressing room at halftime but obviously nobody was listening!!!